C219 CLS55 and CLS63, 2004-2010

Found a wire in front of engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2024, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls63 AMG
Found a wire in front of engine

So after surviving a few cooling problems on my trip across the country and back, I took some time today to address bleeding the cooling system and cleaning the spots of coolant that got all over the engine... in the process, I found a wire. On the driver side, front of the engine, it pops out at the front corner but I cant tell exactly where from. It has an eye terminal and looks about like a 10 Guage wire. I cant find anywhere on the chassis to hook it up. The car starts and runs without if connected but I cant help but wonder where it goes. The only issue I'm currently having with the car is after changing the stereo to aftermarket, but still using stock amp and speakers, ill get a loud whistle sound inside sometimes. I don't believe its related but I don't know for sure.
anyone have any ideas?

in the picture its popping out from the front corner and sitting between the engine and coolant reservoir.

Old Today, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 470 Likes on 408 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Hmm hard to locate...but I can only imagine that it should be connected to an earth point, for a number of them are in the engine bay. I believe there are 2 or 3 around that area under the coolant reservoir
The following users liked this post:
Frankpoz (Today)
Old Today, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cls63 AMG
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking in the same way that you are in that its likely supposed to be grounded to chassis somewhere. My uneducated guess is that it possibly connects to the engine in a location that i cant see from above. I definitely don't want to remove radiator just to peek around since it was more challenging than other cars when I did the replacement 2 months ago. I didn't notice the wire hanging at the time, but I wasn't looking for it. I don't see any points on the chassis for connection so I'm leaning towards lengthening the wire and finding a place to connect. Just hoping someone can ease my fears before I do my plan then find out there's a voltage that goes thru that wire to feed something else and im blowing fuses in the future.
Old Today, 09:15 PM

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Frankpoz
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking in the same way that you are in that its likely supposed to be grounded to chassis somewhere. My uneducated guess is that it possibly connects to the engine in a location that i cant see from above. I definitely don't want to remove radiator just to peek around since it was more challenging than other cars when I did the replacement 2 months ago. I didn't notice the wire hanging at the time, but I wasn't looking for it. I don't see any points on the chassis for connection so I'm leaning towards lengthening the wire and finding a place to connect. Just hoping someone can ease my fears before I do my plan then find out there's a voltage that goes thru that wire to feed something else and im blowing fuses in the future.
All ground point locations -
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W211 Ground Locations.pdf (236.0 KB, 0 views)