C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Help identify clicking sound while turning the wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG
Question Help identify clicking sound while turning the wheel

Has anyone experienced this. On a stopped C32 I turn the wheel say to back out of a parking spot and about 2/3 of the way as I turn i get a clicking sound that is not the tire. Its not too loud but enough to notice.

Has anybody else experienced this and if so what was the fix.

Torerito
Old 03-03-2005, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ToreRITO
Has anyone experienced this. On a stopped C32 I turn the wheel say to back out of a parking spot and about 2/3 of the way as I turn i get a clicking sound that is not the tire. Its not too loud but enough to notice.

Has anybody else experienced this and if so what was the fix.

Torerito
Sounds like a wheel bearing or control arm bushing. Jack up the front end and grab the front wheels, one at a time, placing your hands at 12 and 6, see if you can move the tire and reproduce the sound. Another trick is to get on the freeway, and drive up to speed, then take you foot off the gas, and tun. See if you hear the noise. I think the diagnosis is if it happens when you turn left, it's the left wheel bearing, right, right wheel bearing.

Best way I know of to check for a control arm bushing is to back up in a circle. If the car "skips", the bushing is shot.

In the case the inner or outer tie-rod ends are bad, turn the key to "on", don't start, and turn the wheel rapidly from left to right just a little, a couple inches. If they're bad you'll hear a knock. You'd need a second person under the hood to reach down as you do this to determine left/right inner or outer.

Oh- use jack stands.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
I experienced this same exact problem and it drove me nuts trying to figure out what was causing the sound. When I had my Eibach springs replaced with the H&R cup kit, the shop told me that the springs were installed incorrectly and that they fixed the problem when installing my new suspension kit. Since then, the sound has been gone. I'm not very good at the technical suspension stuff, so I didn't ask what exactly was causing the sound and am just glad to have it quiet now. My suggestion: take it to a shop that specializes in suspension and have it looked at.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:51 PM

2002 C32 AMG
Thanks for the info....
Old 03-06-2005, 06:54 AM
EM1

C320/Civic VTi-R
Sounds like it could be something to do with the C.V. joints/drive-shafts.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by EM1
Sounds like it could be something to do with the C.V. joints/drive-shafts.

Hope this helps.
That only happens on front wheel drive cars when the wheel is steered. The outer CV joints on a rear wheel drive car are not steered, they only rotate - therefore the noise would be there all the time.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 AM
IS1

02 C32
Had the same thing it is a spring/sprocket in the steering column and was replaced under warranty. Among many other thanks...