C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Angling up driveways and traction control?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2005 | 05:51 AM

2012 GL550
Angling up driveways and traction control?

How many of you with or without lowered suspension angle up driveways and set off your traction control. I seem to be getting that often when slowly going up fairly steep driveways at an angle and adding a little bit of gas to get up the rest of it. It feels like crap cause it has this grinding kinda noise/feeling coming from the rear, which I guess is from the car sensing that one wheel is light and traction control does its work.

Juss curious how often it happens to others. I probably shouldn't have to go up too slowly cause the car isn't too low, but with 19s and the tires being thinner, it feels like crap going up any faster cause the egde of driveways are usually raised pavement from the rest of the street.
Old 03-13-2005 | 05:57 AM

C32 AMG
when this happened for me, it was actually one of my rear tires lifting off the ground putting more weight on the grounded tire causing it to slip

i found that my car wasnt actually as low as I thought and to go in straight but slowly
Old 03-14-2005 | 01:46 AM

03 C32AMG, 05 ML 500, Ducati 998S
It happens to me too.

It happens to me all the time. Since my car is lowered with H&R suspension (and 19" wheels too), its seems to kick in readily when angling into a driveway. I can hear the ABS being applied to one side of the rear and the car just won't move forward...
Old 03-14-2005 | 01:55 AM

W211 E63
I think the lifting has to do with the fatter rear sway bars not the lowering....
Old 03-14-2005 | 02:12 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by auxo
It happens to me all the time. Since my car is lowered with H&R suspension (and 19" wheels too), its seems to kick in readily when angling into a driveway. I can hear the ABS being applied to one side of the rear and the car just won't move forward...
read what i wrote, and just drive in straighter and slower...and you will be fine...or atleast it will get as good as it will ever be
Old 03-14-2005 | 03:46 AM

2012 GL550
Yeah, I've been trying to go up less angled and it works. That only really works for entering driveways from the opposite side of the street though. Entering the driveway from the same side of the street juss forces us to angle anyways. Guess that juss means turning the steering wheel some more to try to get the car straightened up as possible by the time the rear starts going up. It's not a big deal, just curious how often people were experiencing this and possibly if there was something wrong with the car (which there isn't since it happens to others).

Happened much less before the suspension upgrade, so lowering probably increased the chances of one of the rear wheel lifting slightly and allowing the car to sense that it is lighter. I'm running the same setup as Auxo and Idrivefast, so the lowering might really be contributing.
Old 03-14-2005 | 04:50 AM

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by bnz616
Yeah, I've been trying to go up less angled and it works. That only really works for entering driveways from the opposite side of the street though. Entering the driveway from the same side of the street juss forces us to angle anyways. Guess that juss means turning the steering wheel some more to try to get the car straightened up as possible by the time the rear starts going up. It's not a big deal, just curious how often people were experiencing this and possibly if there was something wrong with the car (which there isn't since it happens to others).

Happened much less before the suspension upgrade, so lowering probably increased the chances of one of the rear wheel lifting slightly and allowing the car to sense that it is lighter. I'm running the same setup as Auxo and Idrivefast, so the lowering might really be contributing.
its actually the sway bars, not really the springs, shocks, or struts. the thicker sway bars are trying to keep the car level, which is why you noticed this alot less before your suspension upgrade...

careful though, try to turn in as straight as possible because the "lifting" you and I experience will also result in uneven tirewear, which is a *****...
Old 03-14-2005 | 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Originally Posted by bnz616
It's not a big deal, just curious how often people were experiencing this and possibly if there was something wrong with the car (which there isn't since it happens to others).
Yeah, theres something wrong with these cars! They should have come with an LSD from the factory. This would stop the wheel spin from happening.