C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

How do you REMOVE the SUB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 12:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you REMOVE the SUB

This BOSE system is a pain in the ***--tried for hours....

How do you get the sub out of the top of the trunk?

whats the deal???

any ideas???

Last edited by gswc322002; 04-12-2005 at 01:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow hmm...

Thats actually a good question. I looked under there today and saw some screws but dint look at it long enough. If anyone knew this would be helpful to me as well since I'm planning on a small system in my car....
Old 04-13-2005, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one in my coupe was only about 2 lbs and was attached with two bolts. Two bolts! Get a flash light and pray it isn't bolted from the top under the parcel tray
Old 05-04-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C32, 03 ML55
Bose Sub Removal - Painful

Originally Posted by gswc322002
This BOSE system is a pain in the ***--tried for hours....

How do you get the sub out of the top of the trunk?

whats the deal???

any ideas???
Agreed... this turns out is a major pain in the neck.

I went through the car wash and something got wet. I think it must have leaked in the trunk / window area. All my speakers were crackling and sputtering. Then I smelled an electrical type smell. I figure the amp got wet some how. I pulled the trunk apart, found the amp, opened it up and found what looked like a kid went nuts with a glue gun or something. Did some research and turns out this is normal. Sound on all the speakers came back except I think the sub is blown. I was able to pull the little bose plastic thing up and un plug it, to validate the other speakers sounded ok.

Can anyone comment if they have had similar experience?

So now I am trying to get the sub out of the rear deck.... not easy. Lots of little plastic covers to break (the holders which hold the foam pieces on either side of the fold down seats and the SRS airbag covers).

There are some funky bolt/screw behind the SRS airbag covers. Can anyone tell me what they are called and looks like a special tool to get them out.

I was able to get the little seat latch pop up things unhooked pretty easily from pulling off the covers in the trunk and tried pulling the decking out. No dice. It must be connected to the side wall / head liner pieces. Thus why I am trying to get that screw out. This airbag isn't going to blow up is it? Any special caution I need to take? Do they 'disarm / disable' somehow?

After I get the side wall / head liner piece out... are there any other special little things holding the rear deck down? Any special instructions on how to get the Sub out?

Thanks for the help.

ps. I have searched and was unable to find anything super helpful.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
Originally Posted by c32jet
Agreed... this turns out is a major pain in the neck.

I went through the car wash and something got wet. I think it must have leaked in the trunk / window area. All my speakers were crackling and sputtering. Then I smelled an electrical type smell. I figure the amp got wet some how. I pulled the trunk apart, found the amp, opened it up and found what looked like a kid went nuts with a glue gun or something. Did some research and turns out this is normal. Sound on all the speakers came back except I think the sub is blown. I was able to pull the little bose plastic thing up and un plug it, to validate the other speakers sounded ok.

Can anyone comment if they have had similar experience?

So now I am trying to get the sub out of the rear deck.... not easy. Lots of little plastic covers to break (the holders which hold the foam pieces on either side of the fold down seats and the SRS airbag covers).

There are some funky bolt/screw behind the SRS airbag covers. Can anyone tell me what they are called and looks like a special tool to get them out.

I was able to get the little seat latch pop up things unhooked pretty easily from pulling off the covers in the trunk and tried pulling the decking out. No dice. It must be connected to the side wall / head liner pieces. Thus why I am trying to get that screw out. This airbag isn't going to blow up is it? Any special caution I need to take? Do they 'disarm / disable' somehow?

After I get the side wall / head liner piece out... are there any other special little things holding the rear deck down? Any special instructions on how to get the Sub out?

Thanks for the help.

ps. I have searched and was unable to find anything super helpful.
If I think I know what screws you are looking at, those "funky screws" are torx bolts, very common on German vehicles. If you don't have a male and female set of torx sockets, I would go get one. I got both of mine from advanced auto, I think 10 different sizes on each rack so you know you're covered for pretty much anything.

As far as getting the deck out, I know that a member on here (EDgineered) has removed his entire deck and sub out of his C55. Actually he's taken basically the entire rear seat and everything out for weight reduction. May try asking him.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 C230K SS (sold), 06 C55 (sold), 08 Yamaha R1 (sold), 16 X5M
you have to access it from inside the car under the rear window tray. You have to remove the seats i believe and then remove the shelf and there are a few bolts you have to undo. There is a write up on here somewhere I've come across in the past. good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C32, 03 ML55
Torx... got it - I'll reach out as recommended.

Originally Posted by C230 Mulac
If I think I know what screws you are looking at, those "funky screws" are torx bolts, very common on German vehicles. If you don't have a male and female set of torx sockets, I would go get one. I got both of mine from advanced auto, I think 10 different sizes on each rack so you know you're covered for pretty much anything.

As far as getting the deck out, I know that a member on here (EDgineered) has removed his entire deck and sub out of his C55. Actually he's taken basically the entire rear seat and everything out for weight reduction. May try asking him.
Mulac, thanks for the info. I'll own them by the end of the day.

Also, I'll reach out to EDginnered. Thanks for the pointer.

Will let the forum know how it goes...

Oddly, I disconnected the sub so no more shaggy sound... however I do still have a bit of an electrical smell. I was thinking the AMP dried out and is good to go... could it be 'slightly' toast? Or when an AMP goes its an all or nothing thing. Can a part of it go out - ala the bass channel?

Thanks

Don
Old 05-06-2014, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
1999 E320 4matic Wagon, 2005 C55 AMG - sold, 1998 VW Jetta TDI - sold, 2006 C230 Sport - Totaled :(
np, glad to help

I'm not an electronics expert but I'm pretty sure once an amp gets damaged, it's pretty much toast. Unless you are crazy good working with small electronics (as in the little wires, resistors, and stuff like that) and you know what to look for and repair, the cost of paying someone to fix it is basically the same as just buying a new amp.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C55 black on black aka DVS C55, 2007 C230 sport silver on black for the boss
Yes, the two small torx under the pillar panels have to come out. There are clips that grab metal by the window, I just pulled out and put my hand under the pandle and pushed and the clips popped. Gotta get rough with it though if I recall. There is one lip piece that slides under the headliner just to keep the panel in place. little wiggling with force to get it out. No issues with the airbag once the panel is loose.

Under the rear deck there are nuts that hold the sub woofer, rear deck panel and pop up window screen down. They all hold down the deck panel and there are some panel pops on the front of the deck panel that also need to come out. Remove the buttons for the folding rear seat (if yours fold). once the panel is loose there is still barely any room to work. Do it in the sun light of possible to see clearly. The sub woofer has a lip that slides into the steel deck, you have to lift one side up and slide it out but it wasn't easy as it kept hanging up on the foam sound deadening.

There are some threads in the forum with pictures. I see if I can find the links I used sometime tomorrow once I'm around my computer.