C55 in Cannonball One Lap of America

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S63, 560SL
Talking C55 in Cannonball One Lap of America

Hey everyone,

I meant to make this post a long time ago, but due to laziness and being slightly overwhelmed in getting the car ready, it had to wait till now.

We will be running my C55 in this years One Lap of America hosted by Tirerack and CarandDriver Magazine.

I would like to thank Satish and all guys at MotorWerks (www.motorwerksgroup.com) for all their support. Also would like to thank Vin Devers Mercedes for their help in getting this project off the ground.

I've been talking to a lot of people on the board, getting advice etc, so I would like to extend my thanks to everyone who's helped us along the way.

We will be keeping a running log of the event in this thread (event starts April 29th) So it should be interesting.

These are some pics to get you started. There will be some pics of the actual build up shortly.

The ride:
2005 C55- Bilstien Prototype PSS9 coilover suspension, Stoptech SS brake lines, deleted both primary resonators, Porterfield R4S Pads, Custom brake ducting, 'Branded' Michilien Pilot sport PS2 tires.

More to come soon....

Fais
Old 04-22-2005, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
Fais, good luck on your adventure, it ought to be on hell of a ride.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:59 PM

Looks good I like it.....

"Ferrarislave, waives to JOHNCL"
Old 04-22-2005, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
Man That looks Cool! Good Luck and Give those guys a good run.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:12 PM

2006 SLK 55 AMG
Did you purchase the car from Vin Divers? If so...I hope is not this one (unless they gave you a big discount!) They used it at Starfest 2004 @ MidOhio.
First pic is the "bump"
Second is their CLK500 with "lines" (I see same as yours)
Third pic....I think you should do this lower grill desing. It really looks good in person. And consider changing the Star to the front grill. And...no time for a blower?
Attached Thumbnails C55 in Cannonball One Lap of America-email3.jpg   C55 in Cannonball One Lap of America-email2.jpg   C55 in Cannonball One Lap of America-email1.jpg  

Last edited by jcanabal; 04-22-2005 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:46 PM

S63, 560SL
Originally Posted by jcanabal
Did you purchase the car from Vin Divers? If so...I hope is not this one (unless they gave you a big discount!) They used it at Starfest 2004 @ MidOhio.
First pic is the "bump"
Second is their CLK500 with "lines" (I see same as yours)
Third pic....I think you should do this lower grill desing. It really looks good in person. And consider changing the Star to the front grill. And...no time for a blower?
LOL... Yes that is MY C55, in fact that is ME in the 2nd and third pic standing next to Bill's Clk... (who is one of my co-drivers) I brought the car to midohio myself. I just put Vin Dever's name on the car since they helped me get it so quickly and paid for my trip

The 'bump' actually happened a week earlier in the parking lot of a holiday inn, and no matter how hard we tried we couldnt get it fixed in time for StarFest.

As for the blower, we thought long and hard about it. In the end we decieded that the drivetrain should remain stock to ensure some reliabilty. Being that this is an endurance race of sorts, we hope to do well with consistancy over raw HP. This is something I'll end up doing to the car AFTER the one lap.

PS if you got any other pics from Starfest send them my way!!
Old 04-22-2005, 07:10 PM

2005 C55 AMG
Sounds like a cool adventure C55, good luck and have fun. Car looks totally cool.

Trending Topics

Old 04-22-2005, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63
Most excellent. I will follow your progress on the website. Thanks for letting us know.

TEAShea
Old 04-23-2005, 01:20 AM

2003 330i ZHP
Just less than a week to go!

I will be driving in OLOA this year for the first time as well. My dad has a C32 that I drove at Starfest 2003 and I drove C55's at last year's AMG Challenge at Indy. I love the C-AMG's! I will be driving with a friend of mine in his 1998 BMW M3/4. I am sure we will meet in South Bend.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/index.php?o...d=18&Itemid=40
Old 04-23-2005, 02:47 PM

04 CLK55, IWC CLS55 AMG(one of 55), 07 Honda CR-V 4WD
I want to do that CLK grill like that? How much does it cost? and Who did it?
Please provide a contact number ASAP!!!!!
Old 04-23-2005, 03:07 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
whats up I did the grill myself and if you want one email or call me @ 419-824-2330 and can help I will also be driving with fais in the one lap
Old 04-23-2005, 05:00 PM

2006 CLS 55 AMG
hello I did that grill and if you want one please call @419-824-2330 wk or reply here and will hook you up I am also driving with fais in the one lap
Old 04-30-2005, 01:19 AM

S63, 560SL
Day One

Well our journey to complete the 2005 One Lap of America has officially begun!!

Today started out fairly smooth, we got ourselves ready and over to Motorwerks bright and early to collect the car and trailer. As we were loading the car into the trailer (which requires some ‘out through the sunroof maneuvers’) we found that our AUX input wasn’t functioning. Now typically I wouldn’t bother with it for a track day, but being that we are traveling such a long distance the ability to use the I pod and XM radio was key.

So here we are its 8am we’re supposed to be ON the road by now to pick up Bill our third driver from Toledo, instead we have the door sill off making sure the aux connector is installed correctly, next we pulled the command unit out and found our problem…. The connector wasn’t plugged into the unit (d’uh!) oh well. As this is going on we get more bad news…our brake pads will have to be fed ex’d directly to our Beaverun Hotel, meaning we’ll run the first event at Tire Rack and IRP on the stock pads.

After those minor set backs we made our way over to TireRack in south bend Indiana. All I can say is WOW! Some extraordinary cars, great people…did I mention gorgeous cars? A few pop out in my mind: Dodge SRT-8, Radical, Ultima GTR, assorted other exotics. As for Benz’s I only saw 2 other than mine, the first a great looking Cosworth 300E, and a W211 E55. After applying what seemed like an endless amount of decals, we got through the driver’s meeting. We had a Virginia State Trooper give us a few pointers on how we may survive going through there TWICE! As always Brock Yates was on hand to lend his many years of experience.

After that it was the welcoming party and dinner, where we learned of a young boy who needs a new kidney and is a car nut… So we and a number of other teams have decided to take the hour and half detour after leaving IRP to visit him at the Cincinnati Ronald McDonald house on our way to Beaverun.

Now after I post this I’ll be crashing out to get ready for our stint on the wet skid pad in the morning.

Look for an edit w/ pics in short while, and to hold you till then check out www.lake-effect-racing.com they have real time vehicle tracking and photos from today.

-Fais
www.onelapofamerica.com
www.motorwerksgroup.com

Last edited by My_C55; 04-30-2005 at 02:06 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 AM

S63, 560SL
Day TWO

First off let me apologize. I promised daily updates and thus far haven’t delivered. I will now give you all a run down on what’s been going from day two till now. The lateness of my posts will be fairly obvious!

Bright and early the three of us cleaned up and headed to TireRack for the first event of the 2005 Cannonball. The first day consisted of a wet skidpad event followed by 2 driving events at Indianapolis Raceway Park. I took the driving duties for the skid pad, and I must say I was very pleased with the results, we ended up with a 21 finish overall.

So far the day has begun without any issues and problems and we are all thinking that perhaps our problems yesterday would be it…in retrospect we were blissfully ignorant of what lay ahead.

After doing a final check of what clothes/equipment would be coming along we locked up the trailer and headed out to IRP. The 150 miles to IRP went smooth; the only ‘issue’ was a blown fuse in one our power adapters.

On the way we stopped for lunch at a McDonalds out side of Kokomo Indiana…

The significance of the first event at IRP was that it served to determine your run order for the rest of the Cannonball. We had been currently in 59th and were hoping to better that. Jim took the car out in the first session and found that our dry setup was very wrong and consequently the car was understearing too much. We ended up moving up to 47th in the run order. After consulting the Michelin guys we were told to make a correction to the tire pressure by adding a few pounds to the front tires. Bill went out and put down a solid run. At this point we were quite pleased with ourselves, we had placed very well in the first event and had competitive times in the 2 IRP events.

It was now time to make the 389 mile leg to Beaverun PA for the next day’s events. This was to be our easy leg, we should get to our hotel with plenty of time to sleep and prepare for the longer stages to come. As we passed through Indiana, Bill began to complain of not feeling well, at first it was no big deal, then he began to feel sick to his stomach so we pulled off on the rest area and it was about that time that the proverbial bottom feel out.

After spending an hour at the rest spot while Bill dry heaved and showed us everything he had ate in the last week, it had been decided that Bill needed help, hit the SOS button and tele-aid came online and was able to give us some direction to a nearby hospital. As we pulled into the ER Bill began to feel better and didn’t want to waste any more time, he had also expressed that he wanted to go home. So, already very behind, we decided to get on the road and figure out what to do while we were enroute, but instead of going straight to PA, we detoured to Toledo. We decided that if Bill was well by the time we got to Toledo he would stay but if not we would drop him at home. Now keep in mind the route we took out of Indy was the most direct route to PA NOT to Toledo, so we ended up just making a ‘left’ turn at Dayton and raced up I75.

After reaching his home it was clear that Bill was in no condition to continue, apparently the McNuggets he got earlier got him poisoned!!

It was now down to Jim and I, so we flew down the Ohio turnpike, finally getting to our PA hotel at about 430 am, just in time to get about 2.5-3 hours of sleep. As I began to collect my thoughts to make this post I promptly proceeded to pass out….

JIM’S THOUGHT OF THE DAY:
Item 1: McNuggets=Evil
Item 2: More tire pressure is GOOD!
Item 3: This is the first day?!?!?!?
Some pics:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/speedp.../ph//my_photos
Old 05-04-2005, 11:23 AM

2016 C63
Eventful for the first day. Good luck...

TEAShea
Old 05-04-2005, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Best of luck to you all!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
good luck and safe driving!!!!