C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Powerchip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CLS55
Powerchip?

Anyone read the stats about the Powerchip from Evosport? It sounds great for the $?? Anyone have experiance,reading the forums for awhile and have not heard anyone with this, Why?? 25HP for $1500? 387hp&402torq??
Old 07-03-2005, 03:28 AM

2006 BMW X5 4.8is and 2005 C55 AMG
Its been discussed on this forum already a few months ago do a search you'll find it. Basically though don't do it the Powerchip ECU "Upgrade" will mess your car up. Consider the Renntech or Kleeman even though they cost more the car will still run fine.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:03 AM

ML 320 CDI
I wouldn't tune your ECU, whatever the brand you choose.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:46 AM

05 C55, BMWX 3.0, Subaru Forester (Shaggin Wagon)
I agree. While wildly poular as a way to upgrade your power curve, nobody ever mentions the downsides.....the main one being comprimised gas mileage.

This is one of the great benefits of the C55 engine. I've never seen a large performance engine like this hand built 5.5 liter get 19.4 to 23.5 mpg!

My brother's S4 gets 14-15 mpg. Ask the M3 owners what they get.....Not near the 19.4-23.5 mpg!

It's in the AMG build and the tuning! I had the 05 7speed-5 liter in the CLK500 and got a range of 17.1 and 20.5 mpg. You would think that the 7 speed would make some difference......no......only on the sticker and the absense of the gas guzzler tax charge.

In the C55 AMG case, I would argue don't mess with the timing and that's what chipping does!

I rather see one of those Kleemann super blowers give you more thrust ala E55....
Old 07-03-2005, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I've heard a few people mention that they had issues with the powerchip upgrades on the new C55's but perhaps they've got rid of the bugs by now.I do know that their chips wrk wonders on the earlier E55's(99-2001)ME 2.0 and C43's.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by scovit
I agree. While wildly poular as a way to upgrade your power curve, nobody ever mentions the downsides.....the main one being comprimised gas mileage.

This is one of the great benefits of the C55 engine. I've never seen a large performance engine like this hand built 5.5 liter get 19.4 to 23.5 mpg!

My brother's S4 gets 14-15 mpg. Ask the M3 owners what they get.....Not near the 19.4-23.5 mpg!
You're being pretty general there.I get pretty good gas mileage on my 99 M3 ,made it from NYC to Martha's vineyard Mass.,with less than 3/4 but a lil more than 1/2 of a tank of gas pushing 80 -100 mphavg 80-85moh. 240 miles.My car also has a Dinan chip.16 gallon tank.How many miles per gallon at those speeds I mentioned would that be?Sounds like about 24-26 mpg highwy to me. If I'm wrng please correct me!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 07-03-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:46 PM

I don't recommend Powerchip. I've personally had a bad experience with them, they reprogrammed my ECU about a year ago. I had it dyno'd and the charts indicated that I lost 9hp. But I gained some fuel economy. Ontop of this, I had asked for a refund on several occasions, only to be ignored and fed the excuse that if the upgrade did not cause any malfunction or otherwise apparent damage to the vehicle, and if I did get better fuel economy they are not obligated to return my money. Go figure.

But earlier this year, I had my ECU tuned by another company (admin will not allow me to state their name or post my dynos so I won't) and dyno'd it again, and I gained 23hp. Very pleased, with everything thus far.
Old 07-03-2005, 05:04 PM

C63 / ////AMG
Originally Posted by scovit

In the C55 AMG case, I would argue don't mess with the timing and that's what chipping does!

I rather see one of those Kleemann super blowers give you more thrust ala E55....

I am not so sure about an upgraded C55 chip giving you worse gas mileage. I agree that the C55's highway mileage is excellent to begin with, but I have actually dyno'd mine and measured the air:fuel ratio and my C55 (stock) was running rich. An upgraded ECU from Kleemann or Renntech should lean up that A:F ratio and in theory give better gas mileage.

If you want a modest hp and torque increase you can't go wrong with a chip tuned by Renntech or Kleemann. I just wish I could find a local reputable Kleemann dealer....
Old 07-03-2005, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by beemaze
If you want a modest hp and torque increase you can't go wrong with a chip tuned by Renntech or Kleemann. I just wish I could find a local reputable Kleemann dealer....
Topline Automobile is your best bet =)
Old 07-04-2005, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Originally Posted by BrabusW203
I don't recommend Powerchip. I've personally had a bad experience with them, they reprogrammed my ECU about a year ago. I had it dyno'd and the charts indicated that I lost 9hp. But I gained some fuel economy. Ontop of this, I had asked for a refund on several occasions, only to be ignored and fed the excuse that if the upgrade did not cause any malfunction or otherwise apparent damage to the vehicle, and if I did get better fuel economy they are not obligated to return my money. Go figure.

But earlier this year, I had my ECU tuned by another company (admin will not allow me to state their name or post my dynos so I won't) and dyno'd it again, and I gained 23hp. Very pleased, with everything thus far.
You have been asked to substantiate this claim, and have yet to do so. Powerchip says this is not true.

If you want ot remain here, you need to prove your "facts." If you cannto you will be banned.

From your numerous posts it seems clear that you have a "grudge" or an "agenda." This board will not be used for personal issues as this. You are skewing the good information that the 25,000+ enthusiasts here registered to see.

You are on probation pending your ability to prove your side.

You stated you would PM me last week and have yet to do so, I highly recommend you do this.

Thanks,
Brad

PS - Powerchip (through them or through us) offers a 30 day money bakc guarantee. There are significant gains with the 55 motor, and nobody should be afraid to tune the car. It is the easiest mod to the car and is 100% reversable at any time.
Old 07-04-2005, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by beemaze
I believe we are the only remaining authorized Kleeman dealer and certified installation faciltity in SoCal, FYI.

Topline is a great choice as well, but may be further then you need to go. If dealing with Topline, I woudl only speak with Zim or Jon Pek (affiliated).

Thanks
Brad

PS - I knew Ben as well, GREAT GUY. Fantastic that you are supportin his memory with your sig!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:52 PM

I cannot seem to PM you. It's been giving me a "You do not have privileges to access this page" menu.

What is your email? You can verify my plate # yourself, I do not wish to post my plate number on a public forum.

And I cannot believe you are making this so personal. I merely shared my own experience with the group...*sigh* talk about information control. If no one can post up an individual opinion either good or bad about something, what is the point of sharing discussions on a forum?

And I already mentioned earlier, yes, I do have a grudge against powerchip, because they refused to return my money~! I already admitted to it~!

Last edited by BrabusW203; 07-04-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:19 PM

06 CLS55
Ecu

Thats why I asked the questions?Sorry so long to reply to thread I started but long 4TH. The renntech is not much more but claims to get you 10hp from ecu? Is there anyone wish good results from an ECU upgrade. I am not to worried about gas mileage or I would of bought a Kia,not a C55! I also have a STI@440hp that gets about 12-13mpg! I love the power of the C55 but it feels restricted. It could be just a little better,Ive done the greens will be swapin res's. Just a bit more and would be perfect. :v
Old 07-04-2005, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by BrabusW203
I cannot seem to PM you. It's been giving me a "You do not have privileges to access this page" menu.

What is your email? You can verify my plate # yourself, I do not wish to post my plate number on a public forum.

And I cannot believe you are making this so personal. I merely shared my own experience with the group...*sigh* talk about information control. If no one can post up an individual opinion either good or bad about something, what is the point of sharing discussions on a forum?

And I already mentioned earlier, yes, I do have a grudge against powerchip, because they refused to return my money~! I already admitted to it~!
You can e-mail me at brad@mbworld.org.

I am not taking it personal. As a board owner, I welcome ALL factual based opinion. Simply stating fact that is disparaging without proof is not allowed. Sorry. This is not a democracy, it is a private owned board, and it is our right to control information as we see fit. And the only control we live by is that truth and fact are allowed - BS and lies are not - PERIOD.

To clarify for all: You have failed to pst your identity. I work with Powerchip on a daily basis. They have denied refusing ANY refund. I have been party to an e-mail since last week to you specifically from Pwoerchip asking to clarify and if there is any truth, right the wrong. There is still no reply by you. This seems highly suspect. As such, I have had to take action pending my abilty to get to the bottom of this and find out what is true and what is not.

You should not be upset by this. If you are able to support your claim, then you will likely get a resolution that you wanted and if you cannot, then the members will all be able to read between the lines on what is "fact."

Thanks,
Brad
Old 07-04-2005, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by GC55
Thats why I asked the questions?Sorry so long to reply to thread I started but long 4TH. The renntech is not much more but claims to get you 10hp from ecu? Is there anyone wish good results from an ECU upgrade. I am not to worried about gas mileage or I would of bought a Kia,not a C55! I also have a STI@440hp that gets about 12-13mpg! I love the power of the C55 but it feels restricted. It could be just a little better,Ive done the greens will be swapin res's. Just a bit more and would be perfect. :v
If you are in Montclair, CA - then try out the Powerchip. We have a dyno and you can buy the time to see foryourself the gains! They have a 30 day money back guarantee, so there really is little risk. If interested in more information, feel free to contact me or my sales staff.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 07-04-2005, 10:49 PM

I'm sorry you don't feel that I shouldn't be upset. But I am, because your response/ultimatum sounds very hostile and intense. I've emailed you the information for both our vehicles, if you need any thing else please do let me know. This is just nuts...sigh.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Founder

Alan,

I have received your information, and am sorry to tell you, but that is not a Powerchip product. You purchased this from Eurorev, who is not and has never been an authorized reseller of Powerchip. What you purchased was an illegal and partial copy of Powerchip's tune.

Please see this:
http://www.powerchipgroup.com/news/showarticle.asp?aid=71

Speedinnovation and eurorev are not authorised to sell Powerchip products

1 Jul, 2005

Software for Mercedes Benz- PIRACY WARNING

Powerchip's software is protected by the copyright and unfair competition laws of the United States. Piratical copies of Powerchip's copyrighted software are being distributed by one or more unauthorized sellers. Speedtuning and eurorev are not an authorized licensee, dealer or distributor of Powerchip's software.

Anyone who purchases these piratical copies of Powerchip's software is subject to court action where the court may order that the pirated software be impounded, delivered up and destroyed, and the court may award civil remedies, attorney's fees and costs, among other remedies authorized by law.

You should contact your reseller immediately, as you have been sold another product by them and called it Powerchip.

So the ironic thing is that you are blaming Powerchip for not making any power, and praising this new company, when in tructh it is the SAME company that tuned your ECU both times.

I have e-mailed you your choices as it pertains to this board.

On a personal level I find it HIGHLY unfortunate and disappointing that you have gone out of your way to bash a company who did not even sell you something. You have been praising the SAME company that lied to you about the product that you had and misdirected your anger, when it should have been at them.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 07-05-2005, 06:30 PM

06 CLS55
I live in Montclair New Jersey?? Any installers/Distributors out here?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Founder

ah - damn. Was hoping it was here in Cali. Call us and I can try to help find someone for you.

thanks
Brad
Old 07-06-2005, 11:44 AM

06 CLS55
Reversible?

Thanks Brad I will call.1 question,is it removable/reversible?It is a lease but I still want some after market products.Will the dealer know of the chip if I go in for service? Can I remove after lease?
Old 07-06-2005, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Founder

Yep - totally reversible!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:00 PM

C63 / ////AMG
Originally Posted by otoupalik
I believe we are the only remaining authorized Kleeman dealer and certified installation faciltity in SoCal, FYI.

PS - I knew Ben as well, GREAT GUY. Fantastic that you are supportin his memory with your sig!
Great thread here, lot's of useful info.

Brad,

WRT the Kleemann ECU tuning, is this something that is done in house or is the ECU sent off site for programming? I'm leasing, so I want to know how reversible it is, and if the ECU "counts" how many times it's been messed with - or can the ECU counter be reset?

Thanks!!
Old 07-06-2005, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Founder

At this time, all have to be done at Powerchip. However, they are also in SoCal, so it is VERY easy to drive there and have them do it in a pinch. You ahev to flash it a lot to be close to the limit.

FYI, here is a thread started today in another forum.... (I am sure this was prompted by this thread):
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg-clk63-amg-w208-w209/113034-stay-away-eurorev.html

Thanks,
Brad
Old 07-06-2005, 08:31 PM

C63 / ////AMG
Yes, I understand about the Powerchip programming (they're in Santa Monica), but what about Kleemann ECU tuning if I choose to go that route?
Old 07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Founder

If you purchase the Kleemann ECU tune, then we will have to send the ECU to Colorado. No way around that unfortunately. With overnight both ways though, it is only a 2 day down-time.

Thanks,
Brad

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Powerchip?