C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

New C32 owner - Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New C32 owner - Couple of questions

I have been lurking here for a few months learning about the C32. Drove a 2002 BMW Z3 coupe (the weird looking one with the hatchback) until this weekend when I picked up a 2003 C32(27,000 miles, silver, no command). The Z3 coupe was fun to drive and unique but didn't have room for a baby seat (first on the way in a month). I want to thank everyone who unknowlingly helped me with the decision.

I love the car so far. A few questions for you that I couldn't find answers for in the search.

Can I remove the 6 disc changer and use the aux input for a MP3 player? I would assume this isn't that difficult, but can't find any directions.

The Z3 had a very firm ride and amazing road feel. I would like to get a little more feel out of the c32, but have never done any suspension modding before. Sounds like aftermarket springs are what I need. Can I get a recommendation and $$$ estimate? Should I find a reputable shop to do the install or try the dealer?

Car came with Continental Contisport Contact tires. Sounds like Pilot Sports or P-zeros are the preferred tires here....how much am I missing with the Conti's?

I will probably have more questions as I go...thanks for any input.
Old 08-02-2005 | 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
PS2 or T1-S are the ticket. The Pirellis wear too fast on the rear. If you want just a little more handling/road feel, the switch to 18 or 19 inch wheels will accomplish this.

As far as the baby goes, congrats! They are the biggest PITA for the first four years or so. Then, you get about a four year period of enjoyment. Then, you have ten years of pure misery. Then, you have seven years of mailing checks. Other than that, fatherhood is wonderful.
Old 08-02-2005 | 02:34 PM

Thanks a lot Vomit. Yours is one of the more positive congratulations I have received.

So wheels huh??? I kind of like the factory look, but do wish they were 18's.

Anyone tell me what I am looking at $$$ wise for wheels vs. springs?
Old 08-02-2005 | 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have had two C32s and went the spring route. My first one had Renntech springs with an H&R rear anti-sway bar. My current one has has Vogtland springs in just the front. Believe it or not, I like this one better than the last. By keeping the rear height and dropping the front only, the car gets the perfect amount of neutrality. The only benefit of the other set up was that the stiff rear bar would create an artificially higher threshold for the ESP to kick in since the yaw sensors would be activated less. Just $.02.
Old 08-02-2005 | 03:54 PM

2002 C32
Hi
On the AUX input question, only the Comand systems came with an AUX input, you could replace the CD changer with an Icelink box if you want to connect an iPod (see this thread for details - https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=icelink ) costs ~ $450 I think.
Congratulations on the upcoming baby, the only mods my C32 has are two car seats, on the other hand it was the arrival of our second child that got me the car
Old 08-02-2005 | 06:00 PM
Almost a Member!

03 C32
My C32 came with the Dension icelink already installed in the glove compartment... it works great with my wife's ipod mini. Many of the forum people (including I) have had some issues with sound-loss when using the radio... some people say that it is because the fiber-optic cable is "looped" too tightly. The issue comes and goes so it does not really bother me.
Old 08-02-2005 | 10:15 PM

Do you need your i-pod handy in order to use the icelink or can you navigate the menus completely using the headunit and steering wheel controls? Also is it only compatible with an i-pod? Sounds like it if there is only one type of plug. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 08-02-2005 | 11:46 PM

2002 C32
Originally Posted by X man
Do you need your i-pod handy in order to use the icelink or can you navigate the menus completely using the headunit and steering wheel controls? Also is it only compatible with an i-pod? Sounds like it if there is only one type of plug. Thanks for the info guys.
First 5 playlists on the iPod are treated as CD 1-5 on the headunit, it doesn't display track name or details but you do have track numbers.
Old 08-03-2005 | 10:14 AM

Is Vogtland a well respected manufacturer? I will get 4 springs in my order so might as well put them on all 4 corners right? Probably don't need the rear to drop from a cosmetic perspective, but if it tightens up the ride a little I want to do it.

I don't have to worry about anything warranty wise with a mod this minor do I?

Anyone know of a shop to do this for me in the Cincinnati area?