C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

lined up at a light with a 2004 S4...and he bit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nissan GT-R cobb/midpipe/ic piping/wastegate actuators/tials
it's not that the parts cost more or less. it's just that there will be about 10x the parts to replace since there are so many failures so often on those cars. all that being said- i would buy another one in a HEARTBEAT if I could find one that hasn't been shot to hell.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4 Avant and BMW X5 4.4
Originally Posted by itsmeek
hehe, wait till **** starts breaking on it. that car will COST you, and eventually drive you crazy. but fun while it works. i'd compare the reliability of the b5 s4 to that of my 94 rx7.
that can be said for most cars on the market (sans Japanese cars). For the B5 S4.....there will always be some unlucky owners who get problem cars, just like any other cars. That doesn't mean all of them are unreliable. Mine's been in service for almost 4 years.....15+K miles a year, and the ONLY thing that has broken on me on the car is my Nav button and my rear view mirror LCD went (covered under warranty). I am also Stage 3 (K04 turbos) and the car has been flawless in the 20k miles since going upgraded Turbos. I do know what you mean though, I know of couple peeps who have one problem after another on their S4's. It all depends on your driving characteristics and sometimes how lucky you are. There are problem cars/lemons in all makes and models (especially German cars). Hopefully you don't have to experience it once, or twice in your case
Old 12-28-2006, 03:44 PM

C55
I had an 04 S4 before my C55

Granted you have C32. But stock for stock the AMG 55 or 32 will smoke the S4 froma a standstill. Except when its wet.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I just bought a 2000 S4 for my winter-beater and I'm floored by the tuning potential and low-cost (compared to my C32) and awesome performance in the snow with Hakkapalita RSis - like I'm in a rally I currently have MTM chip and neuspeed exhaust (stage II) I'm putting in an RS4 clutch and AWE aluminum flywheel and down-pipes in a week or so. K04s this spring - I'm thinking it will be my track car after getting a taste of what driving a performance-stick is like. Seriously, it costs like nothing to mod this car. It's not even close to the same level of car as my C32 - interior is not as nice, uncomfortable driver's footwell, no head-room, not as fast, not even in the same category as far as seats, etc...it's going to smash the C32 in a line when I go stage III.

Moderate thread-jack there, sorry.
I've been saying that since I dropped my Audi (A6 2.7T) and bought the C32. Granted, right out the door, the C32 is equivalent to a Stage 2+ Audi. But the tuning market for Audi is HUGE, and the stuff is relatively cheap. The 1.8t and 2.7T engines are a goldmine for aftermarket sales. With a 2.7T you can bump horsepower by 50hp for $400 with software tweeks. For a few thousand bucks you can bump up another 100hp. And if you want to beef up any other part of the car to handle the load (clutch, engine, brakes, suspension) it's all available from multiple vendors.

Most impressive to me is how much hacking/reverse engineering has been done on the Audi computer system by tuners. For a couple hundred bucks you can buy a software interface that lets you tune your Audi with a laptop! You can work with engine parameters and make accessories work differently (door locks, etc.).

Benz just doesn't have a youthful performance image, and there are far fewer of them on the road.

Last edited by Fifth Ring; 12-28-2006 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
My friend has a 1.8T B4...he loves it to death and his goal is to mod it to beat the C55.

How would a C55 go against the new RS4? Probably loose in 0-60, but how about in the higher end?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:36 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
Dude, the B4s are one of my favorite cars. I've seen some with over 600 horses at the wheels on 93 octane. Amazing engine. I wonder how much the fact that they're 5 valves/cyl. has to do with the amazing HP. Also, boost on these things is set pretty low stock. I mean, think about this: It's a 2.7 V6, which all by itself should be good for 200-210. Adding tts' would add a ton of power, unless of course they're pushing low boost. What kind of numbers are people getting on the 1.8's? Btw, sorry for the thread jack.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I heard the 1.8T are the best/easiest to mod.

My friend said he is probably at 250 at the crank with a bigger turbo (K04? I dunno the tech spec), ECU, and turboback system; stock is 150 I think? And he has a gay rice boost gauge so that probably adds another 20hp!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
I heard the 1.8T are the best/easiest to mod.

My friend said he is probably at 250 at the crank with a bigger turbo (K04? I dunno the tech spec), ECU, and turboback system; stock is 150 I think? And he has a gay rice boost gauge so that probably adds another 20hp!
My wife has a 2002 Audi TT with the 1.8t. Audi put the K04 into these engines and they make 225HP right out of the box. When it first came out the 1.8t was 150HP, and it kept getting developed to its stock peak of 225HP. Obviously, with aftermarket tweaking, it can go even higher.

The 2.7T maxed out at 265HP in the US (that figure being the 2005 A6 2.7T "S-line" model). But a European spec 2.7T (RS4) was at 380HP; and most of those parts were bolt-on for the US models.

The new 2.0t is fairly limited in the US (200HP), but can probably be developed to 250+HP fairly reliably.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:11 PM

2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
My wife has a 2002 Audi TT with the 1.8t. Audi put the K04 into these engines and they make 225HP right out of the box. When it first came out the 1.8t was 150HP, and it kept getting developed to its stock peak of 225HP. Obviously, with aftermarket tweaking, it can go even higher.
The 225bhp model was available from launch in the UK TT. The 150bhp model only appeared late in the car's life cycle, as a soft top only. Very few were sold in fact. The 150bhp engine was more popular in the VW Golf GTi and Audi A3 1.8T though.

The new 2.0t is fairly limited in the US (200HP), but can probably be developed to 250+HP fairly reliably.
There's a special edition model Golf GTi Edition 30 in the UK that runs 230bhp out of the box with the 2.0T engine.

But the Audi S3 has 265bhp from the 2.0T engine!! Nice!!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
The 225bhp model was available from launch in the UK TT. The 150bhp model only appeared late in the car's life cycle, as a soft top only. Very few were sold in fact. The 150bhp engine was more popular in the VW Golf GTi and Audi A3 1.8T though.

There's a special edition model Golf GTi Edition 30 in the UK that runs 230bhp out of the box with the 2.0T engine.

But the Audi S3 has 265bhp from the 2.0T engine!! Nice!!

I was actually referring to the earliest 1.8t in VWs. My in-laws had a Passat with the first generation.

The fact that Audi is getting 265HP from the 2.0t in Europe yet they limit it in the US is annoying. An A4 with a 265HP 2.0t would be fantastic -- light and quick compared to the 3.2 V6. A great track car.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
My friend has a 1.8T B4...he loves it to death and his goal is to mod it to beat the C55.

How would a C55 go against the new RS4? Probably loose in 0-60, but how about in the higher end?
RS4 will still win in the higher end......the high revving FSI engine is pretty strong up top, I don't see the C55 overtaking the RS4 at high speeds/rpms. Here is a video of me running an RS4 in my friends B5 S4 (about 475 HP but not running great, so prob more like 430 HP). In the last run, you see that we did not pull the RS4 after 120 mph (we hit 150), which I was surprised at. We did pull him easily from 40, 50, and 60 mph rolls though. I was impressed by the RS4's top-end

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...32816&q=rs4+s4
Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 AM

I was actually referring to the earliest 1.8t in VWs. My in-laws had a Passat with the first generation.

The fact that Audi is getting 265HP from the 2.0t in Europe yet they limit it in the US is annoying. An A4 with a 265HP 2.0t would be fantastic -- light and quick compared to the 3.2 V6. A great track car.
just chip it......a $500 chip and a catback exhaust will net you over 260+ HP on a 2.0T. They are great powerplants and the tuning potential is just being uncovered/developed. APR's new Turbo upgrade kit will put the 2.0T at 350 WHP (so 430ish bhp or so) soon. Then they will be REAL FUN
Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by EvilllEmpirE
just chip it......a $500 chip and a catback exhaust will net you over 260+ HP on a 2.0T. They are great powerplants and the tuning potential is just being uncovered/developed. APR's new Turbo upgrade kit will put the 2.0T at 350 WHP (so 430ish bhp or so) soon. Then they will be REAL FUN

I know I can MAKE a 2.0t stronger, but that comes at the expense of the warranty. I've heard that cars sold in Europe do not have warranties like we have in the US. That might explain why they de-tune the cars.

A3 or the A4 2.0t, used and nicely modified could be my next car. I just wish that they were lighter.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 PM

I know I can MAKE a 2.0t stronger, but that comes at the expense of the warranty. I've heard that cars sold in Europe do not have warranties like we have in the US. That might explain why they de-tune the cars.

A3 or the A4 2.0t, used and nicely modified could be my next car. I just wish that they were lighter.

You and me both! I've been looking at modded Mini Cooper S's lately...
Old 01-04-2007, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by m3_eater
You and me both! I've been looking at modded Mini Cooper S's lately...

Cooper S is an amazing track car, but I've done some time in one (not an S and not modified) and it's a brutal environment for day-to-day driving. On the other hand, an A3 or A4 is a nice daily driver. At this point, the A3 2.0t with DSG is only available in FWD (I think). Obviously, they're trying to protect sales of the A3 3.2 DSG.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Yup, the A3 2.0T is only FWD They got Quattro across the way but not here. Still fun to drive though. Add a chip and yer off
Old 01-05-2007, 01:42 PM

Cooper S is an amazing track car, but I've done some time in one (not an S and not modified) and it's a brutal environment for day-to-day driving. On the other hand, an A3 or A4 is a nice daily driver. At this point, the A3 2.0t with DSG is only available in FWD (I think). Obviously, they're trying to protect sales of the A3 3.2 DSG.
Are the gear shifts really fast with DSG in the A3? It sure is a sharp looking car...
Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Shifts are lightning quick with the two clutch system since it pre-selects the next gear (now dubbed "S-Tronic). I believe the shifts are 0.08 seconds or something close to that.

Here is some reading on it:
Twin-Clutch Gearbox
Twin-clutch gearbox is undoubtedly a revolutionary technology for manual transmission. Its impact to the automotive world is even greater than automated manual gearbox such Ferrari F1 system. Twin-clutch gearbox was first put into production by BorgWarner, which calls it "DualTronic". It was first used in Audi TT 3.2 in the name "DSG" (Direct-Shift Gearbox).

Like automated manual gearbox, BorgWarner’s DualTronic can operate as a semi-automatic, where the driver changes gears via buttons, paddles or conventional shifter. There is no clutch pedal, because the clutch is automatic while the gearshift is implemented by electro-hydraulic actuators. For relax driving, there is also a full automatic mode, where computer determines which gear to be selected.

So, what’s the difference between it and other automated manual gearbox?

Unlike conventional gearboxes, DualTronic uses 2 clutches - one clutch connects to the odd gears (1st, 3rd and 5th) while another clutch connects to even gears (2nd, 4th and 6th). This enable it to shift far smoother and faster than conventional gearbox.

Why? let us see how a conventional gearbox work first: when a driver wants to change from one gear to another, he presses down the clutch pedal, thus the engine is disconnected from the gearbox. During this period, no power is transmitted to the gearbox, thus the driver can shift gears. When it is done, he engage the clutch again, then power is again transmitted to the gearbox. As you can see, the power delivery change from ON to OFF to ON during gearshift. How smooth the change depends on how skillful the driver cooperate the clutch and throttle. Automated gearbox like Ferrari F1 is similar. The only difference is that the clutch and gearshift are operated by computer via hydraulic actuators. The ON-OFF-ON power delivery still exist. In contrast, an automatic transmission with torque converter does not has this problem.

Twin-clutch gearbox can overcome the ON-OFF-ON problem too, thanks to the twin-clutch design which enable it to "pre-select" the next gear. Take this example: assuming the car is accelerating at 2nd. The clutch controlling the even gears is now engaged while another clutch is disengaged. From the data taken at throttle position and rev counter, the computer knows that the driver will select 3rd soon, thus it will connect the 3rd gear. Because at this moment the clutch for odd gears is disengaged, the pre-selection of 3rd will not affect the 2nd gear currently running. When the driver touches the gear-shift paddle, computer signals the even-gear clutch to disengage and simultaneously the odd-gear clutch to engage. In this way, gear is changed from 2nd to 3rd instantaneously, without any OFF period, without any delay - the only delay is caused by the smooth disengagement and engagement of the two clutches. Therefore power delivery is smooth and uninterrupted.

Pre-selection of gears quicken the shift a lot. Upshift takes just 8ms, 10 times quicker than BMW SMG II which is the fastest automated manual gearbox currently available. Downshift is less impressive, because the gearbox need to wait for the throttle blip to match gearbox speed with engine speed. Change down a gear therefore takes 600ms. Changing down a few gears could be more complicated. The most complicated is from 6th to 2nd (both are controlled by the same clutch while the distance between the two gears is the longest). It needs to change to 5th (controlled by another clutch) temporarily before 2nd is selected. This takes 900ms.

To package 2 clutches in limited space, BorgWarner decided to use multi-plate clutches which are far smaller in diameter than conventional clutches. Multi-plate clutches also allow finer control of engagement speed versus smoothness. Depending on driving style, computer can easily change the gearshift speed / smoothness setting.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ear_manual.htm

Last edited by GDawgC220; 01-05-2007 at 02:11 PM.