formymercedes cl style grill installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 01:42 PM
DNA
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
formymercedes cl style grill installation

hi ... i try searching but can't find a step by step instruction for the cl style grill installation ... anyone has a link to the DIY or can teach me how to do it? thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by DNA
hi ... i try searching but can't find a step by step instruction for the cl style grill installation ... anyone has a link to the DIY or can teach me how to do it? thanks
Honestly, a step-by-step instruction manual is not necessary.... it's VERY VERY easy. If you have all the parts, you'll be able to just "see it"
Old 08-23-2005, 05:23 PM
DNA
Almost a Member!

just recieved the grill but the grill came unassembled ... how do i get the star to stay on? just super glue? thanks
Old 08-23-2005, 05:32 PM

NEW 08' M6 CAB, 06' 997 911 CS CAB, 09' RX350 AWD, 10' E350 4M, 10' Range Rover; FS: 04' C32 AMG= FS
DNA Which grille did you get b/c i think for the BIG STAR it should've came assembled...
Old 08-23-2005, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Jerry of formymercedes sometimes doesn't have the time to attach the star to the grill. he does you epoxy. before snapping the star in, you can add a light amount of epoxy on the back side. i used a toothpick to apply it.
as for installing the grill, it's very simple. when you open the hood, you will see about 6 screws which holds the grill together. you'll need the proper tool to remove them (socket wrench). you should have gotten some new clips for the new grill from jerry. Once you remove the OLD grill, see where the clips are located on the OLD grille. Do the exact location on the NEW grill.....then install it on your hood. take pics so we know you've gotten it done. good luck!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:49 PM
DNA
Almost a Member!

thanks for the help guy! just got it installed! looks 100x better ... i got the same cl style grill as the one formymercedes sells but i got it off ebay cause it was $50CDN cheaper and the seller is in canada so i don't have to pay duty/tax but it didn't come with the larger hood latch ... oh well i can still open the hood i just hope the guys at the dealer service dept don't break my grill when they try to figure out how to open my hood
Old 08-23-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Which seller did you get the grille from and how much is it? (you can PM me if you don't want his name to be here).

Please post some pictures, and do you need a longer latch to retrofit?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 A4 S Line
Originally Posted by Ultraman
You don't NEED it, but the shorter one will get stuck and you have to pry it out every time. This is ok if you're the one opening the hood everytime, but can create a problem when you take your car in for service or other work that requires the hood popped.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E350 Iridium Silver with pano
Originally Posted by DNA
thanks for the help guy! just got it installed! looks 100x better ... i got the same cl style grill as the one formymercedes sells but i got it off ebay cause it was $50CDN cheaper and the seller is in canada so i don't have to pay duty/tax but it didn't come with the larger hood latch ... oh well i can still open the hood i just hope the guys at the dealer service dept don't break my grill when they try to figure out how to open my hood
congrats!
maybe you can call jerry and find out if he'll send you one. make sure that it will fit your car. i have a 05 c230K and it fits perfect and definitely worth it. if you get it, there is a thread on the c230K forum. one member posted the step by step instructions with photos. you wouldn't want the dealer to mess up your grill. photos please!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 E450 Coupe 4Matic; 2018 Audi Q5; 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback
Does the "stealership" have this longer hatch from the other class for retrofit?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 AM
DNA
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Ultraman
Which seller did you get the grille from and how much is it? (you can PM me if you don't want his name to be here).

i got it from here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...temZ7994203075 ... no thelonger latch is not necessary but is better to have ... i am bring my car in tommorrow because there is always a ticking noise ... just hope the mechanic don't break my new grill
Old 08-24-2005, 09:08 AM

NEW 08' M6 CAB, 06' 997 911 CS CAB, 09' RX350 AWD, 10' E350 4M, 10' Range Rover; FS: 04' C32 AMG= FS
PICS please DNA

Originally Posted by DNA
i got it from here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...temZ7994203075 ... no thelonger latch is not necessary but is better to have ... i am bring my car in tommorrow because there is always a ticking noise ... just hope the mechanic don't break my new grill
hey DNA,
was wondering if you can take some photos of the grille installed or "stand alone". I want to see what the "surround" looks like before i purchase from EBAY "the link from your previous posting - as quoted above" - but im almost sure its the exact same "big" star grille as formymercedes.com.

Also i remember you stating that you needed a longer latch b/c the one now has a problem when someone other then you wants to open the hood¿ do you think maybe you can retrofit that piece on the stock grilles of 01-04 c-classes that made the latch slighty tilt down and out - im sorry if this confusing but do some of you understand what im trying to say? thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 01:07 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
I bought mine from Jerry but he won't sell you one unless you bought stuff from him. I did not want to deal with Ebay so I bought mine from him and got the longer latch which is cool.

There is someone on ebay who sells the same grill and it comes with the extended latch. You just have to ask them before you start bidding. The latch makes a big difference in my opinion when you bring the car to MB for servicing they don't have to call you back and tell you have a problem and such.

I had a different grill on before and if you slam the hood, the short latch would break the grill.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM
DNA
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AdaMBombC32G
hey DNA,
was wondering if you can take some photos of the grille installed or "stand alone". I want to see what the "surround" looks like before i purchase from EBAY "the link from your previous posting - as quoted above" - but im almost sure its the exact same "big" star grille as formymercedes.com.

Also i remember you stating that you needed a longer latch b/c the one now has a problem when someone other then you wants to open the hood¿ do you think maybe you can retrofit that piece on the stock grilles of 01-04 c-classes that made the latch slighty tilt down and out - im sorry if this confusing but do some of you understand what im trying to say? thanks
sorry i can't take photos now ... just dropped my car off at the dealership ... i'll take some pics when i get it back tommorrow ... and sorry i don't understand which piece you are talking about

razorfish228 - can u explain how the short latch can break the grill? so far i have no problem with the latch besides having to reach in to get the latch out
Old 08-24-2005, 05:03 PM

pics of the grille

Originally Posted by DNA
sorry i can't take photos now ... just dropped my car off at the dealership ... i'll take some pics when i get it back tommorrow ... and sorry i don't understand which piece you are talking about

razorfish228 - can u explain how the short latch can break the grill? so far i have no problem with the latch besides having to reach in to get the latch out
DNA = im just talking about the back and front basically (but a close up with just the grille - not installed or anything - unless you already have) the one you said you received through EBAY from that guy Jakuo or however its spelled...

RAZOFISH228 = hows the roof-spoiler coming along?, btw did you want to purchase my rims?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:49 PM
DNA
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by AdaMBombC32G
DNA = im just talking about the back and front basically (but a close up with just the grille - not installed or anything - unless you already have) the one you said you received through EBAY from that guy Jakuo or however its spelled...

RAZOFISH228 = hows the roof-spoiler coming along?, btw did you want to purchase my rims?
yeah i have it on already so is at the dealership along with my car ... but it looks exactly lik ethe photo on formymercedes.com
Old 08-24-2005, 08:43 PM

BLACK 05 C230SS
AdamBombc32g

I just noticed today that the color is not a 040 but more of a metallic color. It's not noticeable unless you look at it closely but I put 3M tape on it and installed it tonight. I had to use 25 pounds of weights I had on each side to push it down. It still has a small gap and I know if I went to the body shop they could probably use a glue like you said but I got anxious to put the spoiler on.

I was curious why you took all of these parts off your car. Are you going to change it around with some other body kit or something?
Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 PM

Pm Sent - Razorfish

Originally Posted by razorfish228
AdamBombc32g

I just noticed today that the color is not a 040 but more of a metallic color. It's not noticeable unless you look at it closely but I put 3M tape on it and installed it tonight. I had to use 25 pounds of weights I had on each side to push it down. It still has a small gap and I know if I went to the body shop they could probably use a glue like you said but I got anxious to put the spoiler on.

I was curious why you took all of these parts off your car. Are you going to change it around with some other body kit or something?
RAZORFISH:PM SENT but anyway, i mean it will probably be a shade off or so, you can bring it into my shop to get it "finished" if you really want bt when you came over yesterday and we "test fit" it seemed fine to me (and you for that matter) check your pm i left you my # if you want to do something about it im here for you man, AB