C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Brake Jobs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 02:51 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Jobs

How many of you do your own brake jobs? How much does it cost you? If you have the dealer do it, how much have you been charged?

Thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
I have always done my own brake work - anything from calipers, pads, rotors, shims, etc. It's very simple work - and fixed calipers that are on AMG cars make it even easier. My dealer is glad to give me 20% off retail. It's frightening what you can pay for brake work at a dealer or independent.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:46 PM

I 2nd the unnecessary cost when anybody with ordinary mechanical skills can do this kind of work.

I think people pay a premium because they aren't car people, they are status people, or they are scared stiff that the dealer will void their warranty.

Personally, I feel keeping the receipts for the OEM equipment, or OEM exceeding equipment and all parts such as extra brake fluid, speed bleeders.......and so on is enough to show that you did a competent rebuild. You should record the torques on all bolts you used, and probably keep a small record of your method.

If you did ever have to take mercedes to court or convince a shop foreman you did it right, then a "car" lab book would be very helpful.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks guys!!

My good buddy did all of my brakes jobs on my last ride. He even installed an OEM BBK. Saved me HUGE $$$.... I supply the beer and he provides the mechanical expertise. The AMG calipers adds a tad amount of complexity. We've never delt with four piston calipers. Can't be that difficult. Where can I purchase the proper caliper piston tool? Are there any other gotcha? Has anyone done a write up on how to do an AMG brake job?

We need to figure out how to do the brakes on my C32 because I drive pretty hard and tend to go through brakes faster than most. I also plan on lightly AutoX'ng and tracking the car (After a few suspension modifications) . This car was designed to be driven and I plan on doing just that!!

You guys are great!!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:58 AM

BMW 535i Turbo, E36 M3
My friend did the front pads and rotors on my C32 a couple days ago. The only problem was that the rotors were rusted on, but we got them off with a crowbar. Easy work, it only took about an hour of actual work, just remember to bed the brakes in properly.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 AM

'05 C55 AMG
the only reason i'd take it to the shop is because even though i have a little bit of maintanence know-how (primarily oil changes), i figure that brakes are pretty important and if i screw up...umm...the car doesn't stop when i want it to and palm trees don't mix well with front ends.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:46 PM
Almost a Member!

I also posted this question on another forum. One guy said his brake job cost $1200 is this what you guys are paying? That seems a "tad" expensive.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2005, 11:01 PM

Brake jobs average $500 per side (this is pads, rotors, labor....) from what I have heard from dealers. If for any reason you don't think the install goes well, definitely have it looked at. If it is between a grand and your life, well you have a 50-60k car and 1k isn't that big in comparison. I will continue to do my own work though, since I know that the product is safe.

In fact, from some of the work I have gotten out of dealers including scratching all four wheels that were supposed to have tires mounted, and mounting one rear tire on the staggered front and one front tire on the staggered rear, I think I am actually BETTER off not having used their services. At least I know that all the proper torques and inspections have actually been done.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:34 PM

BMW 535i Turbo, E36 M3
Here are a few pictures from when we did the brakes on my C32. It is pretty easy, but messy.