C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Speedshift-simple question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 and 2009 Audi S5
Speedshift-simple question

Let the rolling eyes begin, but I have checked tons of articles online, read a ton of posts, searched through the manuals and can't seem to find the answer to this simple question: How do I engage speedshift?

It seems to occur on its own. Just when I think I have things figured out it either appears miraculously or disappers mysteriously. Sometimes it occurs in manual, sometimes in drive. Sometimes it hangs around after turning off the car and turning back on, sometimes it resets to "D."

I can usually get "sp" when I hit it hard in "manual" mode and let it shift at redline (btw, mine shifts after redline by about 200-300 rpm), but then sometimes I am driving in a relaxed fashion only to look down and see speedshift engaged. Other times, I try everything I can to get sp to come on to no avail.

What the hell?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Originally Posted by ralleyone
but then sometimes I am driving in a relaxed fashion only to look down and see speedshift engaged. Other times, I try everything I can to get sp to come on to no avail.

What the hell?
How is speedshift annuciated? It is always on and can't be turned off. How do you know it is not working?
Old 11-29-2005, 08:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
Let the rolling eyes begin, but I have checked tons of articles online, read a ton of posts, searched through the manuals and can't seem to find the answer to this simple question: How do I engage speedshift?

It seems to occur on its own. Just when I think I have things figured out it either appears miraculously or disappers mysteriously. Sometimes it occurs in manual, sometimes in drive. Sometimes it hangs around after turning off the car and turning back on, sometimes it resets to "D."

I can usually get "sp" when I hit it hard in "manual" mode and let it shift at redline (btw, mine shifts after redline by about 200-300 rpm), but then sometimes I am driving in a relaxed fashion only to look down and see speedshift engaged. Other times, I try everything I can to get sp to come on to no avail.

What the hell?
Do a search..the info has already been posted in detail..just got done checking....
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 AM

I believe I told you I did do a search. I used "speedshift", then "engage speedshift" and proceeded to read through about 30 posts that detailed many things, not how to activate it. I then went online and spent several hours reading through many articles but all talked about how great it was, not how to activate it. I then opened up my manual and there was not even a listing of speedshift in the index. I thumbed through several sections but had no luck.

I understand that some on this board may pretend to search and simply ask the question. However, I did search, couldn't find an answer. Now that you have found it, I would appreciate the answer as opposed to posting that you found the answer and that I should search for it.

I tell you what, how about telling me the terms you used, that would at least be a start...

Keep in mind that simply holding to the left does not engage it for me, and even if I accelerate hard through redline, it doesn't always come on.

I don't mean to sound abrupt, but please, I made the effort, as I am making another one now so as to explain myself in the event that others out there might believe that I took the effort and I would be very much interested in finding out the answer.

Thank you!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
How is speedshift annuciated? It is always on and can't be turned off. How do you know it is not working?
Sorry, reacted to the other post and forgot to answer yours. "SP" is indicated in the dash, unless this means something else.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 CLS
I believe I told you I did do a search. I used "speedshift", then "engage speedshift" and proceeded to read through about 30 posts that detailed many things, not how to activate it. I then went online and spent several hours reading through many articles but all talked about how great it was, not how to activate it. I then opened up my manual and there was not even a listing of speedshift in the index. I thumbed through several sections but had no luck.

I understand that some on this board may pretend to search and simply ask the question. However, I did search, couldn't find an answer. Now that you have found it, I would appreciate the answer as opposed to posting that you found the answer and that I should search for it.

I tell you what, how about telling me the terms you used, that would at least be a start...

Keep in mind that simply holding to the left does not engage it for me, and even if I accelerate hard through redline, it doesn't always come on.

I don't mean to sound abrupt, but please, I made the effort, as I am making another one now so as to explain myself in the event that others out there might believe that I took the effort and I would be very much interested in finding out the answer.

Thank you!

Early Merry Christmas ...(1st search page under "speedshift")

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ght=speedshift

and more then likely the cause and possible solution to your problem :

Last edited by respdoc; 11-30-2005 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:28 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
simple answer---SpeedShift is a software that manages the gearbox to make 35% quicker gear change then standard MB gearbox software. You don't engage it or turn it on and off...IT is the software that operates the gearbox no matter what mode you are in...W or S.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:27 AM

I incorrectly assumed that "sp" meant speedshift, which is why I kept seeing it come on and off at various times. And no, I won't even ask...I will just keep searching...

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Where are you seeing the "sp" appear ? I have never seen this in my car. There is a "S" on the gauge cluster that can be changed to a "W" with the switch on the shifter console, but that does not change on its own.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
I think I am also lost...
I thought AMG Speedshift is just the name of the AutoTransmission which MB has given to their AMG car models. Similar examples are Audi's DSG , BMW's SMG/Steptronic or Porsche's Tiptronic etc.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:05 AM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by cntlaw
I think I am also lost...
I thought AMG Speedshift is just the name of the AutoTransmission which MB has given to their AMG car models. Similar examples are Audi's DSG , BMW's SMG/Steptronic or Porsche's Tiptronic etc.
Actually I thought Speedshift was just the name given to the feature where you hold the shifter all the way left for a few secs and it selects the lowest gear it can get into at that time.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

'05 C55 AMG '15 Jeep SRT '11 G37S
Huh?? Guess i was wrong as well. On the C55, I thought is was the "manual" way to tell the tranny to shift, via steering wheel paddles.

On the C55 there is "C" Comfort mode, "S" Sport mode, and "M" Manual mode. For C and S, you just hit the gas, and the car's software determines the best time to shift (higher RPM's in S mode).

In M mode, you tell the tranny when to shift via "+" and "-" paddles on the steering wheel.

Is it not like this on the C32??
Old 11-30-2005, 12:42 PM

2002 c32
Originally Posted by Scoop55
Huh?? Guess i was wrong as well. On the C55, I thought is was the "manual" way to tell the tranny to shift, via steering wheel paddles.

On the C55 there is "C" Comfort mode, "S" Sport mode, and "M" Manual mode. For C and S, you just hit the gas, and the car's software determines the best time to shift (higher RPM's in S mode).

In M mode, you tell the tranny when to shift via "+" and "-" paddles on the steering wheel.

Is it not like this on the C32??
My 2002 C32 has a W and S mode.

W starts out in 2nd gear I think.

S is 'normal'.

I can use left and right to pick my gear, or hold left and it goes to the lowest gear it can - except it will not to down to 1st even if I'm going like 15 mph.

It's exactly like my wife's 2003 C320 wagon in operation, if not function.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:02 PM

silver 2002 c32 amg
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Bif powell
My 2002 C32 has a W and S mode.

W starts out in 2nd gear I think.

S is 'normal'.

I can use left and right to pick my gear, or hold left and it goes to the lowest gear it can - except it will not to down to 1st even if I'm going like 15 mph.

It's exactly like my wife's 2003 C320 wagon in operation, if not function.

the s = std or sport,

the w is a winter setting

to enable 1st gear in w mode simply hold the shifter till you engage 2nd then tap the shifter across and it will go into 1st provided you are traveling slow enough or at a standstill
Old 11-30-2005, 03:26 PM

Someone else must have also seen the "sp" next to the gearshift indicators in the dash. It has been the source of confusion to me for some time as I can't find a reference for it in the manual. It appears inboard of "S" or "W" at various times.

Anybody?
Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
take a picture of it
Old 11-30-2005, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
You talking about the ESP warning triangle flashing? I'm so used to seeing that, that I don't even pay attention to it anymore...
Old 11-30-2005, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Someone else must have also seen the "sp" next to the gearshift indicators in the dash. It has been the source of confusion to me for some time as I can't find a reference for it in the manual. It appears inboard of "S" or "W" at various times. Anybody?
Not me. But I'll keep my eyes open.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Someone else must have also seen the "sp" next to the gearshift indicators in the dash. It has been the source of confusion to me for some time as I can't find a reference for it in the manual. It appears inboard of "S" or "W" at various times.

Anybody?
Hmmm, never recall seeing it. Can you take a pic of your dashboard and than mrak it where it comes up?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
man thats funny! SP that you see doesnt have anything to do with the speedshift. it means Station Preset so you can scroll on your radio station with the botton on your steering wheel, you can make it go away if you set to scan or preset.

Last edited by Trekman; 11-30-2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350

What the hell?
you will only see SP if you have the radio on you wont see it if your playing CD's or using your nav or phone or the speedometer.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Man thats funny if that's the case .. haha.. so much for the fuss
Old 11-30-2005, 09:45 PM

Went for a drive today and just happened to look down as I turned on the radio and saw it appear and thought, Oh sh*t, now I've got to make it back to my laptop before someone laughs in my face. Too late!

I apparently never looked at the dash when I turned the stereo on and off.

And here I fancy myself a bright guy, what a dork!!!
But hey, I've only had the car for 3 weeks, so just this once will you please cut me some slack?

But it did highlight how many of us weren't exactly sure about our trannys

So much for a quiet entrance to the board....

my C36 didn't have as many toys I guess.

Apologies to all, and to all a goodnight!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:50 PM

2002 c32
I got a chuckle out of it.

Went for a drive today and just happened to look down as I turned on the radio and saw it appear and thought, Oh sh*t, now I've got to make it back to my laptop before someone laughs in my face. Too late!

I apparently never looked at the dash when I turned the stereo on and off.

And here I fancy myself a bright guy, what a dork!!!
But hey, I've only had the car for 3 weeks, so just this once will you please cut me some slack?

But it did highlight how many of us weren't exactly sure about our trannys

my C36 didn't have as many toys I guess.

Apologies to all, and to all a goodnight!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55AMG W203; 330i E90
!!!

It is the right and the best board for any queries
Most of the times I get the precise answer from lots of expertise here
MBWORLD is No.1

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speedshift-simple question