C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Transmission 'jerk' at 1500 RPM

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 12:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Transmission 'jerk' at 1500 RPM

If I accelerate slowly, after shifting into 2nd gear, the tach will start at ~1000rpm and slowly go up. When it hits ~1500rpm is 'jerks'. Sometimes it's slight and feels like another 'shift' (but it's definitely NOT) and sometimes it's snaps my neck.

I've read that this is a common problem in the early C32 (mines a 2002 ~35k miles on it). I took it in, and described the symptoms - I don't really want to tell mechanics how to do their job so I just figure I'll let them figure it out - maybe I've mis-diagnosed it, yadda yadda yadda. My guy says (almost word for word), "I checked for bulletins and that kind of thing and I think it's fine - these high-performance trannys kind of hunt for gears sometimes and that's just how they are".

I've read in more than a few places that this is common, AMG knows about, they tell the dealer to load the 2003 software and it's all good.

Is there some key words or terminology I should use to get my local shop to deal with this to my satisfaction, or do I just go down the road to the next guy and hope he's more thorough - do I really want this first shop working on my car anyways? Is there some way for the lowly customer to get a list of common issues and track them down? Can I just pay a third party to check something like the CV joints and say "yeah, it's got an issue, have MB replace it under warranty" because I know for a fact when I took it in for some intermittent issues they just drove it and said "feels fine to us" (loss of power - at times feels like my wife's C320 wagon) they're not actually looking at possible suspects to see if it needs some work.

Any guidance there appreciated.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
lock up torque converter....

also try having give you a 2003 transmission module

and go to another dealer....

if you search my post about this issue, you will notice that I went to 2 different dealers... 1 ignore me the other replaced the transmission and new module. Believe it or not, the car has a slight jerk still and i'm begging to think is the rear differential. However the car is much better than before.

try as many dealers until you find somebody to help you, its a known problem not only to C32, but to the E class as well and other models that use the same 5sp.

also the problem is usually is when you are in traffic... try to show them during those times.. when you are mostly using 1st and 2nd

continue your search in this forum...
Old 11-30-2005, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32R
I just had the transmission control module replaced and it shifts much "sleeker" now. I would go to a different dealer and take them out to show them, they should do something about it....
Old 11-30-2005, 08:05 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32 AMG K
Leak in the transmission radiator?

My C32 "trembled" when shifting under lightload. It turned out that there was engine coolant in the transmission fluid from a crack in the transmission rediator. The dealer can take a sample of your fluid and tell in five minutes if this is the problem. If so, you get a new turque converter. Good Luck!!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Many thanks for the great responses! Will take it in and report back!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
It is the torque convertor. Mine does it, but only when the car is cold (first few miles of driving in the morning) and mainly when turning right (or maybe its just because I do several right turns leaving my house )