C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need Advice on Adding More Power to HPS SC

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.

Old 04-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AMGSC
Here is the chart of the latest dyno. They still can't stop it from downshifting but the Gen III due out shortly that they want to install in my car for free will solve this problem and put down 450+rwhp according to their claims. The Gen III will have the newest Magnuson Blower, Superior Intercoolers, pumps, software upgrades and FMU from AEM, etc...Should I trust them?
As what Vadim previously said, with just the s/c there's no way you'll ever be putting down 450rwhp. Maybe you should wait for the Gen IV....or maybe V?
Jesse called me today and told me I had no chance of getting near 413whp so I just want everybody at HPS to see it for themselves.
I guess Gen III will solve this? Best of luck to you my friend. As what Josh K have already said. With the amount of money you've already burned you could've bought a Kleemann system.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't do it Robert. Cut the umbelical cord with HPS already. I understand you've already put a lot of money into this but there's a point in time where you need to cut your losses and head in another direction. I think now is the time. Go with something that's proven and reliable.
Old 04-01-2006, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
The Gen III will have the newest Magnuson Blower, Superior Intercoolers, pumps, software upgrades and FMU from AEM, etc...Should I trust them?

Hummm....The MP122H 2.0L is still in "beta form" and a long way off production as suggested by Jerry (Magnuson). Yes, it's got good potential and a 8% increase from the MP112 1.8L, bolt flange is not the same tho, I've seen the muscular blower on a 402 LS2.

HPS can keep installing bigger blowers they want, just be prepared!!!! Without proper design system engineering and suffcient R&D, this blower will break parts...hence "beta form".
Old 04-01-2006, 08:45 PM

AMG 55, 335i, Mini Cooper S
I just don't get how these latest dyno results are so much better than the dyno's done at HoP. Can two practically identical model dynojet mechines give such radically different results? I did not make a single change to the the car between the two separate dyno's.
I'm lost. A few weeks ago you posted a dyno that HPS could only get 337whp out of your car, now the car is doing 386whp with ZERO changes? Where did the 50whp come from? Something doesn't smell right, you need to take it to another shop for a new dyno.
If these numbers are true then that means you beat me.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by E55Cent
I'm lost. A few weeks ago you posted a dyno that HPS could only get 337whp out of your car, now the car is doing 386whp with ZERO changes? Where did the 50whp come from? Something doesn't smell right, you need to take it to another shop for a new dyno.
If these numbers are true then that means you beat me.
I'll do that but Bill has convinced me to let them re-tune the car a bit more starting today. I think AEM's technology may be applied and also maybe going down to a 2.75" pulley but Bill has "other" tricks which he does not want to disclose to competitors. I'm thinking maybe a larger intercooler, voltage clamp, etc...Jesse is also being called back in to re-tune for both road and dyno conditions.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
A couple weeks ago you said everything was coming off your car, now you're letting them add more "tricks." AEM software might work on a Honda, but not a Mercedes.

What's next on your list of mods???

Last edited by pshek; 04-03-2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
WOW looks like more R&D on your car.... If they are just trying different things on your car you should be compensated like 5% of each supercharger they sell.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by Trekman
WOW looks like more R&D on your car.... If they are just trying different things on your car you should be compensated like 5% of each supercharger they sell.
Now that's a thought!!! .But they are spending alot of money in R&D to improve their product and I know that I'm playing a game of risk vs reward here. The reason I am staying with HPS for now is because HOP claimed that I can make 380rwp with a Kleemann w/ ECU and larger injector setup and I'm already making that power now.

Then I hear people like Adam, Bill, Jim and Jesse tell me that practically every Kleemann they've seen makes no more than 380rwp and many much lower. They even wanted to send me the data to prove it and given examples of people's cars that were Kleemannized but still either had tuning problems or made little power. Jim stated that the only one he's seen that made over 380whp was because it was running 8-10 lbs of boost.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Now that's a thought!!! .But they are spending alot of money in R&D to improve their product and I know that I'm playing a game of risk vs reward here. The reason I am staying with HPS for now is because HOP claimed that I can make 380rwp with a Kleemann w/ ECU and larger injector setup and I'm already making that power now.

Then I hear people like Adam, Bill, Jim and Jesse tell me that practically every Kleemann they've seen makes no more than 380rwp and many much lower. They even wanted to send me the data to prove it and given examples of people's cars that were Kleemannized but still either had tuning problems or made little power. Jim stated that the only one he's seen that made over 380whp was because it was running 8-10 lbs of boost.
My Kleemann C55K made a consistent 440 rwhp and ran 11.997 @ 117 mph w/ not one single problem.

Now forget about how much power my car made.... re-read the last 4 words of that sentence.... NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM. Will you be happy if they tune/get your car to make 450 rhwp and then you blow your engine???? Come on man... use your brain. Go with a reliable and proven solution. Even if your car did only produce 380 rwhp with the Kleemann setup (which I doubt it would be that low) at least it would run correctly and you would be driving the f'ing car. Not to sound like a d!ck... but, get a clue man.

Last edited by dragonAMG; 04-04-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 06:47 PM

Bill, Adam and Jim are right some Kleeman cars only make 380whp but thats because they are on Clk 430's and E430's. The 55 motors make much more than that. I have seen 430 motors make 380whp with a Kleemann kit.
I'm not sure how HPS is going to get more power out of your car with out uping the boost. If I had your car I would never go more than 7lbs on a 11.0to 1 compression motor. You can only stuff so much air into a balloon before it pops.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
Originally Posted by BlownS430
No this was on the 430 engine, The 500 engine I bought turned out to be more fraud like Adam@BrokeBackMoutain it was another 430 motor I just got my refund from the salvage yard no problem unlike Adam@BBM

HPS claims the 430 motor re-wheel hp at 340-360 w/350-360 rwto Obviously more BS.

I'm just selling the damn car It's not worth my money to sue this little *****.
I tried to tell you they're clueless!Sorry you had to go thru that!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:39 PM

'05 C55 AMG
this thread makes me sad...but i just can't resist watching it unfold
Old 04-04-2006, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by coolcarlskiC43
I tried to tell you they're clueless!Sorry you had to go thru that!
Thanks man it was a Major Headache to say the least, When I found out the 500 turned out the way it did.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Here is the saddest part about HPS....................

They advertise in Mercedes-Benz Owners magazine.

A full page add claiming HUGE HP and TQ increases on 55 engines.

Nice glossy pictures.

Probably cost them over $5K to put up.

Clients ask me about them....................................

I showed them Lihns CL55 sitting in the back of the service bay...........................with destroyed engine, oil soaked hood liner and the bits of valvetrain laying on the ground..............

With a dead battery, air suspension drops the front end into the weeds............car looks sad, hurt.

$40,000 to fix and car has a code 88, meaning no warranty for drivetrain...............

The car has been towed back to HPS.....................................

Does anyone want their MB to end up that way?????????????????????
Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Obviously those people at HPS are using AMGSC's car as a test mule to iron out their problem with the Gen II SC. The only person that fails to see this is AMGSC himself. As Josh (DragonAMG) said, get a clue, man. I don't know why would you still have faith in these people. They're just playing tricks with you. Where did they find that extra 50 hp? It's not like you can mysteriously add pull another 50 horses out of no where, right? There are so many Dyno shops in LA. Just go find yourself one that you feel comfortable working with and dyno the car. Both HPS and HoP are obviously biased in this case, so the best choice would be some other 3rd party that doesn't know or isn't affiliated with either party. Once that's done, you will know whether you've bought some unproven paper weight or a real supercharger.

Think about it this way. If any thing happpen to your car at this point, you will be like Linh. Warranty is not going to cover the job that HPS did to your car. A new motor from AMG cost upward of 30K and you can lose essentially all your warranty coverage on your car (drivetrain, electronics, engine). Carefully read what Vadim has posted concerning the CL55 with the blown engine. If I were you, I would get the car back to stock, unload it as soon as possible, and ask Vadim to find an SLK55 or another C55 to start over again. As others have stated, KLEEMANN has always been able to deliver satisafactory results to Mercedes enthusiasts all over the world. Why not trust them? You can even send your baby to Colorado and have Brandon and Cory work on your car. Cory has always been helpful even though I haven't bought a single damn thing from KLEEMANN yet. Just remember, you get what you paid for. When you think it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350

I'm sorry I didnt mean to be rude, my appologies. I have followed this tread and others that went with other tuners and not one had complained about there product and service, I know If it was me I wouldnt want to gamble on a car that is $60000 on having them do R&D on it. but I guess some people like to gamble. hope it works out for you....
Old 04-04-2006, 10:53 PM

not stock.
Damn Cheap *** Companies:x :x
Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 PM

I'll do that but Bill has convinced me to let them re-tune the car a bit more starting today. I think AEM's technology may be applied and also maybe going down to a 2.75" pulley but Bill has "other" tricks which he does not want to disclose to competitors. I'm thinking maybe a larger intercooler, voltage clamp, etc...Jesse is also being called back in to re-tune for both road and dyno conditions.
I was wondering how much boost the 2.75" pulley will give you?

Also I understand about wanting to stay with HPS. You have invested alot of time and money into this project and I'm sure you would like to see a reward for all your hard work. I went through a simlar project with a company named RMS with my M3.

I'm sure HPS will make the power promised but there is no way the car will be safe for very long. The 2.85" should be plenty for the power you want, I wouldn't go any smaller. Remeber I'm making almost the same amount of power you are with only 5lbs of boost, stock injectors and no ECU tunning.

You seem like a really good guy, I pray nothing bad happens to your car.
BTW, we still need to have lunch.
Mario
Old 04-05-2006, 04:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
Hey guys, what's the fuss all about? I'm dropping off my car tomorrow at Mechtech to get a 2nd gen HPS s/c in my W210 55. I was told that they worked all the bugs out. I'm getting it for super cheap too, $8k installed, beat that Kleemann!!! woo hoo! 500WHP here I come!
Old 04-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by Kev04C320
As others have stated, KLEEMANN has always been able to deliver satisafactory results to Mercedes enthusiasts all over the world. Why not trust them?
Don't think it's a matter of trust. It's more of a matter of cost. As i've stated before, sure Kleemann might be more expensive but it's a proven system that works!
Old 04-05-2006, 02:59 PM
JR1
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Hey guys, what's the fuss all about? I'm dropping off my car tomorrow at Mechtech to get a 2nd gen HPS s/c in my W210 55. I was told that they worked all the bugs out. I'm getting it for super cheap too, $8k installed, beat that Kleemann!!! woo hoo! 500WHP here I come!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope you're kidding.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL

LOL...GOOD LUCK..Gen 2 or Gen X...lol 500 HP..Yeah Right get THAT statement in Blood..cause after all the drama with HPS...One Would think that the Info posted here would answer any question one would have..BTW when you are there ask to see Linnhs CL...with the Expired Engine ALA HPS that Mercedes denied any repairs can you say 88?...estimated tab $40,000.00...
Old 04-05-2006, 06:49 PM

Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
Here is the chart of the latest dyno. They still can't stop it from downshifting but the Gen III due out shortly that they want to install in my car for free will solve this problem and put down 450+rwhp according to their claims. The Gen III will have the newest Magnuson Blower, Superior Intercoolers, pumps, software upgrades and FMU from AEM, etc...Should I trust them?
Trust? You've got to be kidding. Aside from the lack of engineering principles, knowledge & ability, just look at the "wonderful" experience they've put you through:

1) Obviously the kit was untested on a 55AMG & doesn't work properly.
2) Countless problems in HP/driveability, etc, and they still kept telling everyone their kits "didn't need any software" right up to the end. Right...
3) You mention "Bill has tricks up his sleeve" in another post. You honestly think Bill has any tricks competitors would care about? You'd think that if he really did have any tricks they would have been included in the GenII kits in the beginning since they never made advertised power.
4) I remember Adam & Bill telling me how extensive the testing was on all their kits when they were trying to sell me one last year. They said they'd never put out an untested kit. I guess they were referring to the testing on your car. Oh wait, that just happened this year...
5) They've lied to you & everyone else over & over, time & time again, just to try & preserve a lie that they are a real tuner. Oh no, wait, maybe they lied just to keep selling kits & making money $$$

This is just the short list, and excuse my sarcasm, but I hope this helps get the point across to you. Now you're still contemplating going back & bending over for them again ? This is just crazy!!! Don't keep throwing good money after bad. If you go back & continue to have problems (even with just not making advertised HP), you'll only have yourself to blame. The best thing you did was perform a serious service for everone else on this board by showing us how screwed up they really are & how their tuning abilities are lacking and they're not a reputable company to deal with. Now learn from your own lesson.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by rbaker
Trust? You've got to be kidding. Aside from the lack of engineering principles, knowledge & ability, just look at the "wonderful" experience they've put you through:

1) Obviously the kit was untested on a 55AMG & doesn't work properly.
2) Countless problems in HP/driveability, etc, and they still kept telling everyone their kits "didn't need any software" right up to the end. Right...
3) You mention "Bill has tricks up his sleeve" in another post. You honestly think Bill has any tricks competitors would care about? You'd think that if he really did have any tricks they would have been included in the GenII kits in the beginning since they never made advertised power.
4) I remember Adam & Bill telling me how extensive the testing was on all their kits when they were trying to sell me one last year. They said they'd never put out an untested kit. I guess they were referring to the testing on your car. Oh wait, that just happened this year...
5) They've lied to you & everyone else over & over, time & time again, just to try & preserve a lie that they are a real tuner. Oh no, wait, maybe they lied just to keep selling kits & making money $$$

This is just the short list, and excuse my sarcasm, but I hope this helps get the point across to you. Now you're still contemplating going back & bending over for them again ? This is just crazy!!! Don't keep throwing good money after bad. If you go back & continue to have problems (even with just not making advertised HP), you'll only have yourself to blame. The best thing you did was perform a serious service for everone else on this board by showing us how screwed up they really are & how their tuning abilities are lacking and they're not a reputable company to deal with. Now learn from your own lesson.
^^^^ very well said. AMGSC, please do NOT go back to HPS and make the same mistake. everyone here is trying to help you and you should reconsider your decision. if you do go back and, God forbid, things go wrong again, i'm afraid people won't feel sorry for you anymore and you only have yourself to blame.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Adding More Power to HPS SC