C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Need Advice on Adding More Power to HPS SC

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by Trekman
thats going to be one big expensive paper weight.....
and a voided warranty just like Linh's CL55. That's a even bigger paper weight.....
Old 02-07-2007, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
So he blew up his motor? Why is no one shocked?

So lets see the story here. So Jesse tuend his car and it started making power. Where did that power come from? Well when you lean the car out a whole bunch it gains some power but it then burns up and goes KABOOM. So I bet Jesse did a poor job tuning a really poorly upgraded car and well look it finally kicked the bucket. He sits there getting warnings about the car being to lean and he keeps driving it. There is a reason why people pay the extra few thousand bucks to go to long time tuners like RENNtech or Kleemann. It may cost more but hey it also does not run way lean and blow up.

At this point I have to go with Jesse is the guy to blame. The car ran before he started tinkering with it. Before the car was running rich enough to protect it self and Jesse should know how to keep a car from burning its pistons. This does not say the HPS blower is not a contributing factor but that thing was just junk from the begining.

Too bad he has to take a big loss now but even he had to know it was coming. He basically asked for this 100 times and he finally got his wish.

New motors are WAY more that 15k. Try $30k. Lets see him run that one in under warranty

When he comes back I hope he goes about this in a more logical manner. Buy parts from 1 tuner and enjoy a well tuned ultra fast C55.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 02-07-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

So lets see the story here. So Jesse tuend his car and it started making power. Where did that power come from? Well when you lean the car out a whole bunch it gains some power but it then burns up and goes KABOOM. So I bet Jesse did a poor job tuning a really poorly upgraded car and well look it finally kicked the bucket. He sits there getting warnings about the car being to lean and he keeps driving it. There is a reason why people pay the extra few thousand bucks to go to long time tuners like RENNtech or Kleemann. It may cost more but hey it also does not run way lean and blow up.

At this point I have to go with Jesse is the guy to blame. The car ran before he started tinkering with it. Before the car was running rich enough to protect it self and Jesse should know how to keep a car from burning its pistons. This does not say the HPS blower is not a contributing factor but that thing was just junk from the begining.

Too bad he has to take a big loss now but even he had to know it was coming. He basically asked for this 100 times and he finally got his wish.

New motors are WAY more that 15k. Try $30k. Lets see him run that one in under warranty

When he comes back I hope he goes about this in a more logical manner. Buy parts from 1 tuner and enjoy a well tuned ultra fast C55.
Did you even read AMGSC's last post? he just stated The Coolant tank for the intercooler emptied for a 2nd time w/no visual leaks, Jessie is NOT to blame, the Car obviously failed due to Hydro-lock---Coolant in engine----Just like Linhs CL55.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Thericker
Did you even read AMGSC's last post? he just stated The Coolant tank for the intercooler emptied for a 2nd time w/no visual leaks, Jessie is NOT to blame, the Car obviously failed due to Hydro-lock---Coolant in engine----Just like Linhs CL55.
Ok I take it all back and stand corrected. The idea that he was just asking for trouble still stands.

Ok well then it was the intercoolr core leaking coolant into is motor. Either way this is just a sad story that had an ending we all knew was coming. He had issues every step of the way and he kept making really poor decisions and it cought up with him.

I cant believe that he kept using a blower kit and intercooler kit that was known to have this flaw. He has had countless people giving him a hard time and trying to point him in the right direction. Every time he just kept coming back with more crazy ideas. We all started out really friendly with him but when he kept asking for advise and then blowing it all off and doing his own thing people get frustrated.

Hope he can find a near new motor for less than what the parts counter wants for an engine. 30k is a hard pill to swallow.

Maybe im just shocked that this all was so preventable but he chose to keep risking a really nice cars future on low rent parts. This story could have ended so well if he had just taken that stuff off his car and gone to Kleemann or RENNtech for his kompressor upgrade.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 02-07-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Ok I take it all back and stand corrected. The idea that he was just asking for trouble still stands.

Ok well then it was the intercoolr core leaking coolant into is motor. Either way this is just a sad story that had an ending we all knew was coming. He had issues every step of the way and he kept making really poor decisions and it cought up with him.

I cant believe that he kept using a blower kit and intercooler kit that was known to have this flaw. He has had countless people giving him a hard time and trying to point him in the right direction. Every time he just kept coming back with more crazy ideas. We all started out really friendly with him but when he kept asking for advise and then blowing it all off and doing his own thing people get frustrated.

Hope he can find a near new motor for less than what the parts counter wants for an engine. 30k is a hard pill to swallow.

Maybe im just shocked that this all was so preventable but he chose to keep risking a really nice cars future on low rent parts. This story could have ended so well if he had just taken that stuff off his car and gone to Kleemann or RENNtech for his kompressor upgrade.
It's unfortunate that such a fine piece of German engineering product got butchered by parts that are not well designed. However, what baffles me is that after seeing Linh's CL literally blow while on the HPS charger, AMGSC can still say it with a straight face that he believes the charger has potential to be tuned to the full advertised power.

I agree with you that he basically wished for it to happen and it finally did happen. Good luck to AMGSC finding an intact 55 engine from the junk yard, or buy some KY and prepare to get **** f-cked at the stealership.....
Old 02-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
04 E55 B07
But how come none of the HPS owners upgrade that cheap intercooler from the start, instead of doing other upgrades, since it leaks. I know bell intercoolers are well designed. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by mertd93
But how come none of the HPS owners upgrade that cheap intercooler from the start, instead of doing other upgrades, since it leaks. I know bell intercoolers are well designed. Just my 2 cents.
They told us that if we changed/upgraded anything w/out there permission it would void the original warranty.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
04 E55 B07
So you're saying he's still under warranty with HPS? Regardless of that i wouldn't wait for the intercooler to start leaking and then it's too late. Rob was saying that he changed the ic pump and that's it. Apparently everyone is having the same problem with the intercooler leaking.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Hey Robert look at this:

"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWD1V

Thanks for visiting the engine division of Protech1Inc on eBay. You are bidding on a used tested engine that has a 90 day parts warranty (not labor). We have almost any engine or transmission ever made whether Foreign or Domestic so call us Toll Free @ 1-866-524-8585

2005 2006 Mercedes C 55 AMG 5.4 Engine with 4K miles
Item number: 320051717765

Buy It Now price: US $12,500.00 "
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by Thericker
Well...I did ask him to check the coolant level before he started and he said he did and that everything looked fine. I just don't understand why he did'nt check it again when he tried to call me urgently about 4-5 times that afternoon while tuning it to explain to me that the car was overheating and how he had to wait half an hour between dyno runs to let it cool down. I would have immediately checked the coolant level. When he finally reached me on my cell, he told me that the intercooler was the cause for not making the expected gains although the torque was improved.

When I picked up the car, there were white colored scales all over the top cover and it looked terrible. When I got home, I had to scrub it with a brush and detergent to finally get it off. This was my first sign that something was wrong. This white scaling was probably the coolant leaking and evaporating right through the aluminum plenum during the repeated hard dyno runs.

Last edited by AMGSC; 02-08-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3, 2019 Maserati GTS , 2020Alfa Quadrifoglio
Originally Posted by m444
Hey Robert look at this:

"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-...spagenameZWD1V

Thanks for visiting the engine division of Protech1Inc on eBay. You are bidding on a used tested engine that has a 90 day parts warranty (not labor). We have almost any engine or transmission ever made whether Foreign or Domestic so call us Toll Free @ 1-866-524-8585

2005 2006 Mercedes C 55 AMG 5.4 Engine with 4K miles
Item number: 320051717765

Buy It Now price: US $12,500.00 "
Thanks for the lead...I hope it's still available when I open up the plenum and look inside my motor tommorrow.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Banned

S600TT, R350
Rob:

I do not what to do:

Laugh, because I told you so.....................

Or cry, because I feel for you......................

My friend................you made your own bed.

You have been warned numerous times...............

Now that your engine is gone...........

There is no one to blame but

Y O U R O W N S E LF ................

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
dude its only money

this was me I be Cryin and slaming the door on my head
Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually, his car was already running lean when the HPS kit was slapped on. Something like 17:1 AF ratio. Jesse tuned it and was running okay for a while but still not putting out the claimed HP. The AF ratio was actually pretty decent (12:1 or so). Somewhere down the road the ECU was flashed by the dealer erasing the custom tune. Lean condition again.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Isn't it being premature to say that AMGSC blew up his motor? There's probably some internal damage to the motor from coolant leaking from the intercooler core and into the engine. Although he did state that the engine is "running really rough now," so it is probably detonating and running lean and hot. If an entire tank of coolant went into the engine, wouldn't you notice clouds of white exhaust smoke on the dyno or when driving for an hour??? When it does go kaboom though, that's the end of the HPS saga....
Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Dont forget the reason why he took it to Jesse. HPS installed a methanol kit to cool it down further " Another bandaid " . Then he shows us logs of his car with psi and airfuels and calls out all tuners as a challenge.

Jesse obviously stepped up and only did what he requested which was lean the fuel back a bit to work in conjuction with the new water injection kit.

Well guess what happens when you run out of mix. TOO Lean.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Absolutely Pshek you would know something is wrong when you picked up your car.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by mig888
Dont forget the reason why he took it to Jesse. HPS installed a methanol kit to cool it down further " Another bandaid " . Then he shows us logs of his car with psi and airfuels and calls out all tuners as a challenge.

Jesse obviously stepped up and only did what he requested which was lean the fuel back a bit to work in conjuction with the new water injection kit.

Well guess what happens when you run out of mix. TOO Lean.
If I we're a supportive and knowledgable tuner, I would have told AMGSC that it would be too risky to make it run leaner. I thought Jesse knew what a POS the HPS kit is, trying to tune it is just asking for trouble. AMGSC's car was running lean even when Josh dynoed it at HOP, and even Josh warned him about it. 1 year later, another tuner tries to tune the POS HPS kit and leans the fuel back, now the engine is detonating and leaking coolant. I wouldn't want to be involved in this mess, because it's looking hopeless.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
I talked to Jesse today kicking around some ideas on my car he usually is upbeat when I talk to him he didnt seem to happy today. I mentioned to him about Robert his exact words " Im insulted that he can just go on a forum and point a finger at me yet those who read it dont know what is between the lines.

Pshek the problem is any tuner would agree leaning up from 10 to 12 would not cause a failure with an intercooler.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
I see what he meant people dont read between the lines

AMGSC WROTE:

"Jim assured me that it must be an external leak however, "

Why would Jim say that because Robert failed to tell us that he had HPS work on the blower prior to Jesse. OOOPPPSSSS

Goodluck Robert with everything.........

Last edited by mig888; 02-08-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I talked to Jesse today kicking around some ideas on my car he usually is upbeat when I talk to him he didnt seem to happy today. I mentioned to him about Robert his exact words " Im insulted that he can just go on a forum and point a finger at me yet those who read it dont know what is between the lines.

Pshek the problem is any tuner would agree leaning up from 10 to 12 would not cause a failure with an intercooler.
Yeah maybe. Look at the bright side. It's only a car and at least AMGSC's son won't have to drive it now. This HPS saga is a sad story...
Old 02-08-2007, 03:26 AM

C32 AMG
This thread is both the funniest thread and saddest thread I've ever read at the same time
Old 02-08-2007, 07:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
I see what he meant people dont read between the lines

AMGSC WROTE:

"Jim assured me that it must be an external leak however, "

Why would Jim say that because Robert failed to tell us that he had HPS work on the blower prior to Jesse. OOOPPPSSSS

Goodluck Robert with everything.........
Wow, there's still "trust" between AMGSC and HPS? That's kind of amusing.....
Old 02-08-2007, 07:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
i just stayed up all night to read this thread in it's entirety. I laughed, I cried, I threw up, I dozed off, and can't help to wonder how lame someone can be.

Bottom Line: Robert is a guinea-pig FOOL. His proposed venture is no better than HPS' failed experiments.

Vadim summed it up best about 1 year ago, back on page 10:
Originally Posted by Vadim
I am willing to bet that this ordeal, unless you dump HPS, will be ongoing six months from now if not longer.
Based on someone's inability to learn from their own mistakes, heed other people's advice, or know when to wake up...
I venture to say that this ordeal will go another six months or so. And when that time comes, I'll microwave some more popcorn and stay up to read the continuing saga of sheer stupidity.

Last edited by Saprissa; 02-08-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Originally Posted by Saprissa
i just stayed up all night to read this thread in it's entirety. I laughed, I cried, I threw up, I dozed off, and can't help to wonder how lame someone can be.

Bottom Line: Robert is a guinea-pig FOOL. His proposed venture is no better than HPS' failed experiments.

Vadim summed it up best about 1 year ago, back on page 10:

Based on someone's inability to learn from their own mistakes, heed other people's advice, or know when to wake up...
I venture to say that this ordeal will go another six months or so. And when that time comes, I'll microwave some more popcorn and stay up to read the continuing saga of sheer stupidity.
Carlos,

Are you betting that the engine will last for another 6 months? I would say it's bound to fail sooner than that...... Too much crap has been done to this car and I don't think anyone would touch it even with a yard stick.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Adding More Power to HPS SC