C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Sould I Buy a C32?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 BMW 323i
Sould I Buy a C32?

After 3 years with a BMW 323i, I am in the process of selecting a new car. The 323 has been great and right now I am leaning towards a 330i to replace it.

I'm impressed by the reviews of the C32 but don't have an opportunity to test drive it. I'm looking for a well built, reliable sedan that is fast, safe and fun to drive.

Can you please comment on your C32. What made you choose it? Have you had any reliabilty or quality issues with it? Any regrets or would you buy it again? Any other comments?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I have been EXTREMELY happy with my C32, which I've had since September. I traded a '97 Porsche 993 in for it.

There has been a huge amount of controversy and discussion about the BMW M3 vs C32. Mainly it comes down to the fact that the C32 is a little more luxurious, the M3 more sporty, and there is no manual transmission for the C32.

I got the car specifically because I was tired of driving a small 2 person manual-transmission car (with no cool gadgets) in heavy traffic every day.

Some people have found the seats very uncomfortable (I think they are great) so make sure you test drive one before you buy, if at all possible.

I'm not sure how hard they are to find - you will most likely have to order one and wait.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry Dan, I am never a fan of BMW. I think all of their cars are overpriced. The money that you are paying are not proportionate to their car's performance. I always want to change my stubborness every now and then by test driving some BMWs (330i & M3, 540i & M5), but so far, I still cannot swich my loyalty from MB to BMW. I dont want to create flame here by comparing C32 to M3 or 330i or even M5. There must be many reasons why people are paying that much money for any luxurious car. So if you ask any C32 owners, chances are most of them will tell you that they are very happy with their car (including me). Same token as you ask BMW owners, chances are they'll tell you that they have bought a great car as well (like you).

I will be biased. But I really have to give thumbs up on a C32 over any BMW 3 or 5 series. The car is very practical and yet, it can give you tonnes of power. The fit and finish is okay, dont expect it to be super luxurious like a S-class, acceptable to me. There're problems here and there (bushings, torque converter squeaks), but a car is a machine & machine does break. You cant expect it to be 100% troublefree. As long as its not a big problem, I can live with it.

The BEST WAY to decide which car that you're going to buy is to test drive one yourself. No matter how perfect we are telling you about our cars, you can always find millions of reasons to say why you dont like it one way or the other. Because there is no "perfect car" in this world. You have to drive it and compare it yrself. I'm sure most members here will only tell you nice things about the C32.

Good luck!! :p
Old 07-26-2002, 01:58 PM

C32 AMG
Re: Sould I Buy a C32?

Originally posted by Dan in Ottawa
... right now I am leaning towards a 330i to replace it.

I'm impressed by the reviews of the C32 but don't have an opportunity to test drive it. I'm looking for a well built, reliable sedan that is fast, safe and fun to drive...
You can't really compare a 330i to the C32. To get a good impression, test drive an M3 then imagine it with an auto tranny and just a little more luxurious interior. That's probably the closest thing you will get if you can't test drive a C32. Don't imagine there are many to test drive tho since they are in pretty good demand (and limited).

I love BMW's. There has been a problem tho with M3's blowing up their engines. The advantage of the C32 is that you can drive it as "HARD" as possible without worrying about the engine blowing up.

Last edited by Boo2; 07-26-2002 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2002, 05:48 PM
rrf

C32 is an excellent choice

If you like 4 doors and auto, the C32 is probably your best bet.

The BMW 330i is a pretty car but I bet you will prefer the C32. Both will have minor issues, electrical, noises etc. But nothing really to worry about. MBZ sales is better, MBZ service is better. Styling is different, you choose that.

Like Boo2 said, there really is no way to abuse the C32 drivetrain.

I followed a 323i like yours over a great road we have here "Highway 17" yesterday. 17 has a long winding uphill stretch followed by a long winding downhill. 17 is crawling with CHP cars. The 323 was going pretty well, and I was actually impressed. At first I thought it might have been rebadged but then I figured he had his can o woopass out on his car. He was revving his car and cutting folks off as he passed on the right etc. Absolutely no sweat in the C32. Not wanting to be aggressive, I just waited for the larger openings and literally squirted up to him at will. It wasn't a race or anything, so I had no interest in passing him, I was just letting him be the "big duck" that got the ticket. But to keep his car moving on the uphill, he had to aggressively keep his gearing up, while I just relaxed with my soda, and poured on power whenever I wanted. No shifting, nothing but slight pressure on the gas. If I had ever actually floored it I would have literally run him over. I could tell by where he pulled off that he was a local, and this was his commute. So he knew the road and his car. He got everything he could out of the 323, and I bet you know how to also. It probably takes alot of effort. The C32 is basically effortless yet very responsive, to me that is one of its biggest assets.

Going from the 323 to the 330 might be "enough" for you, but I bet 6 months later you will be wishing you got the C32.

I like BMW's also. I still have a older 4 door auto M3, but BMW decided nobody wanted that particular setup anymore. BMW's loss because if they did you and I would have at least considered it. BTW when I drive my M3 auto after the C32, it handles fine but the motor feels like a punk.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
I am a little confused, Dan -

A C32 will cost you MUCH more (something like $15K US) than a 330. Like others here, I don't see how you can compare the two.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
I think it comes down to if you want to spend $15k more for the C32. I drove a 330i in both auto and manual, but I liked the manual much better. The engine is very smooth in delivery, but nothing as special as the C32. The handling is very nice, but the steering really really sucked. BMW had it perfect with the 328i, so I have no idea why they changed it. The 330i is a good size, the the C32 is more roomy. As you can see, I'm nitpicking about what's wrong with the 330i. It's really a fine car and you'll be happy with whatever you choose...but your smile with be larger in the MB. Every testdrive the new Infiniti G35?
Old 07-26-2002, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
The C32 cannot be compared to the 330i in any and all aspects. The C320 is comparable with the 330, but not the C32 AMG. The C32 is comparable with the M3.

If you want a fast sedan, then the C32 is right for you.

Not only is the C32 slightly faster than the M3, but it far surpasses the M3 with the aesthetics. The interior is extremely comfortable, the same cannot be said about the M3, and some M3 owners will tell you that.

Now, if you're comparing cars in the 330's price range, the C32 will put you way over. The C32 is not only comparable performance wise with the M3, but it is comparable price wise aswell.

You cannot even begin to compare the C32 and the 330, if you do, the C32 will win hands down.
Old 07-27-2002, 08:44 AM

2000 BMW 323i
Some Clarification

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Very helpful.

As you have noted, there is a price difference to consider. Here in Canada my prices (in Canadian dollars which are about $0.63 US) are roughly as follows:

BMW 330i (with most options, but not fully loaded) - $53,000
MB C32 (with sunroof and Bose) - $68,000
BMW M3 (which comes fully loaded) - $74,000.

So, yes, the 330i is less ($15,000 Canadian is roughly $10,000 US) but the C32 is a lot of extra car for that money. And at about $6,000 (about $4,000 US) less than the M3. Plus no worries about engine failure!

I guess my final concern boils down to this...I expect the 330i will be reliable, based on my experience with the 323i. I have heard that MB is having quality control problems and I don't want to get a C32 if it will be a hassle. The M3 is not under consideration because of the price and the engine failure issue.

I have a couple of months to make a final decision. Thanks again for your comments, you've given me some good reasons to reconsider the C32.

I'll post agin if I order the C32.

Dan.
Old 07-27-2002, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
Dan, 95% of the serious quality control problems that Mercedes-Benz is having, is on the C230k Coupe.

I know many C32 AMG owners, and will be one myself this fall, and I have never heard of an unsatisfied C32 AMG own.

The AMG aswell as the Mercedes-Benz V12 vehicles are among the most reliable, and quality vehicles that Mercedes puts out. Take the interior of the C32 AMG vs. the leather interior on the C240, there is no comparison, the interior of the C32 AMG is much nicer.

I beleive you have already stated that your dealer does not have a C32 for you to test drive, well what I am going to reccomend is that you test drive a C320 Sport, and test drive an SLK32 AMG, then put two and two together. Just test drive the SLK32 AMG, since it utilizes the same engine as on the C32 AMG, so you will get a feel for the power, and the performance of both cars is relatively equal, although the SLK32 AMG has better handling considering it is infact a roadster.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2002, 10:09 AM

C32 AMG, Volvo S80T6
YES

Yes again... you should definately get it.
Old 07-27-2002, 01:31 PM

C32 AMG
Is the SLK32 handled better than C32? Till now, I was under the impression that the C32 handles better than SLK32. The C32 uses the rack and pinion steering whereas the SLk32 still uses the old recirculating ball steering albeit 300lbs lighter. Any opinion?
Old 07-27-2002, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
That's true, but I think steering is more of an element to the driver than the car's ability.
Old 07-27-2002, 07:51 PM
Almost a Member!

I have been fortunate enough to have driven both the new M3 and the C32. In fact, I traded in my M3 for a C32 and here are the reasons why:-

1. The C32 comes with 4 doors and while practicality may not be a concern for everyone, at this price point I appreciate the passenger options accorded to me by the C32. Which other small sedan has 4 doors AND 350bhp?

2. The M3 comes with a standard stick shift and I enjoy driving a stick but again if I had a car which performs like an M3 and yet gives me the option of an auto, why not? I personally find that life is just that bit more relaxed in a C32 especially in traffic.

3. There is also the issue of exclusivity, M cars are not exactly a dime a dozen but I am sure that AMG models are even more limited and I kind of like that.

4. The C32 also provides me with just a touch more stealth than the bimmer. If you seek the attention (and it will probably be from the younger dare I say racer set) then the C32 is probably not for you. Simply put a C32 is not for the "look at me, aren't I macho" driver but more the "those who know AMG will know what my car can do and those who don't know or understand what AMG mean, don't matter to me!".

5. Lastly, as I am more interested in the 30km-70km times rather than 0km-100km times ie real-life driving conditions, nothing beats a forced induced engine.

If timing is not an issue for you, then wait for the new Audi S4 which has 4 doors, supposedly 340bhp (V8 from the S6) and quattro awd especially if you need a four season vehicle.

Just my 2 bits.