C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Had 2 S4's...Now a C32

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 / 2004 E55 / 2009 C63
Had 2 S4's...Now a C32

I am a new member mbworld.org and owner of a C32. What an incredible car!!!

I had a 2000 Bi-Turbo B5 Audi S4 which really was a great car. I had some minor mods, H&R Springs, Bilstein Shocks, GAIC X-Chip (oh my gosh), and a K&N filter. BTW, I got my *** handed to me by a C55 one time on the freeway, before I had a chip. I don't even think a chip would have helped.

I moved on to the B6 2004 S4 4.2L V8. Again, a great car. The quattro systems are excellent and the six speed was great, but overall I just wasn't totally satisfied. The 2000 S4 is more of an enthusiasts car than the newer B6. Nevertheless, I had some great kills...Mitsu Evo, WRX, M3 (3 different ones), NSX (2 different ones), B5 S4, etc. in the B6. It was a fast car, especially above 70mph. You would be surprised, even if some of the cars are faster on paper, it comes down to driver if they are driving a manual.

Long story short, I have always thought that the C32 was a sick car. I never did get the chance to race one in either of the Audis, but I am glad I didn't. The C32 will take the Audi's in a straight line. It would be close in a chipped Bi-Turbo though.

I am a little disappointed in the C32's handling, but I am looking into getting some coilovers. Any thoughts? I am leaning towards the H&R's because I don't want my teeth to fall out every time a hit a bump.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Congrats on the new vehicle purchase! The B6 S4 is one of my favorite AUDI designs, great proportions. KW also makes a great coilover system for your vehicle, FYI.

-Derrick
Old 12-20-2005, 12:44 AM

Thanks. Yeah, the B6 was a great looking car and the V8 really sounded good. But the C32 just has more torque/power and is more refined than the Audi. Don't get me wrong, they are both excellent German cars, but the C32 is a step up IMO.

I feel obligated to go with the H&R's, since they were so great in my B5 S4...nevertheless, I am open to everyone's opinion. I am looking for a street system that is smooth, but offers better handling and a more aggressive stance. KW is a great company, I just haven't had them in a car.

Last edited by EpicAMG; 12-20-2005 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
welcome to the AMG force...

springs, sway bars and chip and pulley are a must for this car. If you have the cash for the coil overs... than more power to you.

headers are a good investement, specially after you have the pulley and the resonator deleted.

You will be looking at around 400 -420 hp depending how your car dyno's stock. You might get more.

I really like this car and the fact that I almost paid in full, and avoid another debt is preventing from selling it. I like the E55, but I can see my self with another $40-50k loan after putting $10 to 15k down.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:06 AM

C63, SLK55
Gongrats, don’t forget to post pics !!!

Just got mine recently and I can't agree with you more. The power is just very satisfying.

About the lowering springs, there are so many choices out there. H&R, Renntech springs, Vogtland, and PSS9. A lot of different feedback on each about these springs in this forum from members who used them, I would say research each one of them and u be the judge on what you think will suit ur best needs. I'm in the same position as you right now and I think I'm leaning towards PSS9 because I like the adjustability and stock comfort factor. Good Luck and enjoy ur ride!!!
Old 12-20-2005, 07:55 AM

02 C32R
sounds like you made a great choice in cars. I would second the vote and look at the Pss9's, a few members have them and seem to be pretty happy with them....
Old 12-20-2005, 10:11 AM

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that a lot of people are trading C-AMGs for S4's and vice versa, but nobody seems to be swapping in or out of an M3...?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:31 PM

02 c32
Fromer B5 S4 owner also. Even at stage 2+, the c32 has way more pull at the touch of the gas. All with a lazy driver not having to shift. Works for me.
The c32 hands down wins in. I am sold on AMG. Can't wait for the next jump to a c55 or e55.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:04 PM

I am a little disappointed in the C32's handling, but I am looking into getting some coilovers. Any thoughts? I am leaning towards the H&R's because I don't want my teeth to fall out every time a hit a bump.
You should look into the Bilstein PSS-9. Not only is considered the best coil over setup in terms of handling, but you also have the flexibility of changing height and ride firmness.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:23 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I will look into the Bilstein's as well as the H&R's.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cars and boats!
I would definately look into getting the best coilovers possible... KW Variant II are excellent coilovers for the W203. H&R have a non-adjustable rebound. You can email my buddy neal for inquiries as he has the KWs on his C55. neal@euroteckmotorsports.com

He also happens to be a dealer for KW.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:51 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
welcome to the club

depends on what you are looking for there are many coilover setup available for the W203. H&R, TEIN, Carlsson, KW, Bilstein, etc.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:29 PM

2005 B6 S4
Originally Posted by c32silverbullet
Thanks. Yeah, the B6 was a great looking car and the V8 really sounded good. But the C32 just has more torque/power and is more refined than the Audi. Don't get me wrong, they are both excellent German cars, but the C32 is a step up IMO.

I feel obligated to go with the H&R's, since they were so great in my B5 S4...nevertheless, I am open to everyone's opinion. I am looking for a street system that is smooth, but offers better handling and a more aggressive stance. KW is a great company, I just haven't had them in a car.

c32silverbullet, congrats on your new ride.
I sold my c32 last month and got into a new B6 S4.
My first impression was, OMG...this thing handles way better than my
c32 with H&R Coilovers. This car is so much fun to drive.
The only thing I miss is the raw straight line power from the c32.
Stock for stock, the c32 will smoke the S4 in a 1/4 mile race. The S4 really lacks torque in the mid-high rpm range. The launch is amazing w/ the quattro though.
My recommendation to you is if you want comparable handling out of the c32 compared to the S4, get something other than H&R CO. The H&R was just too soft for my taste. Try the PSS9 or KW like others have suggested.

HTH,
peter
Old 12-22-2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by pc527
c32silverbullet, congrats on your new ride.
I sold my c32 last month and got into a new B6 S4.
My first impression was, OMG...this thing handles way better than my
c32 with H&R Coilovers. This car is so much fun to drive.
The only thing I miss is the raw straight line power from the c32.
Stock for stock, the c32 will smoke the S4 in a 1/4 mile race. The S4 really lacks torque in the mid-high rpm range. The launch is amazing w/ the quattro though.
My recommendation to you is if you want comparable handling out of the c32 compared to the S4, get something other than H&R CO. The H&R was just too soft for my taste. Try the PSS9 or KW like others have suggested.

HTH,
peter
I am going to step out on a limb, but I bet it would be pretty tough to make the c32 handle as well as the B6 S4, even with PSS9s. The quattro and Audi suspenion system is just plain superior. You will have a lot of fun with that car. The launches are great and the sound of the 4.2 is excellent. It is pretty dang fast on the freeway too.

I am leaning towards the H&R's because I actually like a smoother ride...even if they don't perform as well as PSS9s. I don't plan on taking the car to the track, but I would like it to handle better for the occasion fun ride. But, I do appreciate your opinion and am interested to here your thoughts of the H&R's vs. stock. Was there a noticable difference in performance? Would you recommend just keeping it stock?

Anyone that has PSS9's or KW's for that matter, how firm of a ride are they? I really don't want to ruin the smooth ride.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:43 AM

2005 B6 S4
Originally Posted by c32silverbullet
I am going to step out on a limb, but I bet it would be pretty tough to make the c32 handle as well as the B6 S4, even with PSS9s. The quattro and Audi suspenion system is just plain superior. You will have a lot of fun with that car. The launches are great and the sound of the 4.2 is excellent. It is pretty dang fast on the freeway too.

I am leaning towards the H&R's because I actually like a smoother ride...even if they don't perform as well as PSS9s. I don't plan on taking the car to the track, but I would like it to handle better for the occasion fun ride. But, I do appreciate your opinion and am interested to here your thoughts of the H&R's vs. stock. Was there a noticable difference in performance? Would you recommend just keeping it stock?

Anyone that has PSS9's or KW's for that matter, how firm of a ride are they? I really don't want to ruin the smooth ride.
Before I got the H&R CO's, I was riding on H&R sport springs with stock shocks for awhile (I had 19" rims and springs installed at same time).
The switch from just springs to coilovers was not night and day difference for me. There was definitely improvement but not huge. But then again, I don't track the car so I was probably not using the CO's to their full extent. The ride on the H&R CO is very comfortable. Not harsh at all.
You should attend some local c32/c55 meets and ask folks with CO's to give you a ride. If you plan on getting rims for your ride, then get CO's for sure.

Peter
Old 12-24-2005, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Congrats on the new ride...I too came from an audi...I had an 00 A6 2.7T with a drop and some sportecs on there also was the first one with the H-sport sways...I loved it too...