C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

05-06 C series recall

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl450
05-06 C series recall

Problem with passenger side airbag, was in WSJ today.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just checked with my MB service dept and they haven't heard of it.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:37 PM

gl450
WASHINGTON -- Mercedes-Benz USA LLC said Wednesday it will recall 61,000 models of C-Class sport sedans because of irregularities involving the driver's-side air bag discovered during government testing.

The automaker, a division of DaimlerChrysler AG, said the recall affects the 2005-2006 model years of C-Class sport sedans.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said during government compliance testing some irregularities were found involving the air bags.

Mercedes-Benz spokesman Rob Moran said the automaker did not "feel this represents a risk in real-world situations, only in this clinical situation."

The vehicles will have new driver's-side air bag modules installed as part of the recall.
Old 12-22-2005, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks. Maybe the service department isn't up to speed yet. I'm sure we'll all be receiving a recall letter shortly. Perrrfect. I need some warranty work done anyway.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
wholly cow, I hope people don't find out too late.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:13 PM

C55 SILVER / ASH
Originally Posted by knepster
Problem with passenger side airbag, was in WSJ today.

My car just today gave me a message to take the car to the service center for malfunctioning SRS immediately.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:38 PM
Almost a Member!

I cant give you very many details on this,but the recall(which I havent heard of yet) is probably replacing the drivers side airbag due to a newly mandated test-that is performed with the seatbelt off and the test dummys head resting on the steering wheel during airbag deployment. This test is,in my mind,nowhere near a real life situation due to the fact that airbags are only designed to supplement the main safety system of all cars,THE SEATBELT!! This is not the cause of your SRS light,you will need a wiring repair behind the steering column. The SRS light illuminates due to excessive resistance in one or more of the drivers side airbag squibbs. The excessive resistance is due to a connector tolerance problem. The male and female connectors for the airbag gas generators dont fit together as tightly as they should.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 PM

C55 SILVER / ASH
Originally Posted by mercedestech1
I cant give you very many details on this,but the recall(which I havent heard of yet) is probably replacing the drivers side airbag due to a newly mandated test-that is performed with the seatbelt off and the test dummys head resting on the steering wheel during airbag deployment. This test is,in my mind,nowhere near a real life situation due to the fact that airbags are only designed to supplement the main safety system of all cars,THE SEATBELT!! This is not the cause of your SRS light,you will need a wiring repair behind the steering column. The SRS light illuminates due to excessive resistance in one or more of the drivers side airbag squibbs. The excessive resistance is due to a connector tolerance problem. The male and female connectors for the airbag gas generators dont fit together as tightly as they should.

Thanks for your input. I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow or Monday.

Should I be worried that it will deploy?

TIA