C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

New TV Show Ideas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32 / 2004 E55 / 2009 C63
New TV Show Ideas

I work in the advertising world and interact with many TV producers in the AUTOMOTIVE world.

We are kicking around some ideas about creating new shows and possibly shorter versions for online.

What would you guys want to see for an automotive program?
Old 01-06-2006, 02:33 PM

2003 c32 AMG
1) Real head to head competitions between real (non-race) cars on closed streets, tracks, etc.
2) In depth walkthroughs of popular models, not just cursory reviews like currently on TV shows.
3) Explanations of the technological wonders involved in making our cars go fast and look good.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by 03c32AMG
1) Real head to head competitions between real (non-race) cars on closed streets, tracks, etc.
2) In depth walkthroughs of popular models, not just cursory reviews like currently on TV shows.
3) Explanations of the technological wonders involved in making our cars go fast and look good.
All of those exist really - Motorweek get's pretty indepth on popular models and top gear on the more fun cars.

SCR, Truck U, and Street Tuner Challenge cover #3

#1. is done, but it's all JDM that I've seen. Pinks also might cover #1, but it's just dragging.

The really good ideas are not something I would post on a forum, but as a bone, I would love to see non-product placement reviews of turbos, suspensions, wheels/tires and mixed with car audio/telematics stuff. More like what you find in a tuner magazine - so also interviews and features on a particular car/driver/tuner, like the mags. Again, non-product placement. I can see them immediately and just fast-forward over it. When they say 'this is the best XXX' they have no idea, they've been paid to say that. As product placement becomes more normal, the shows are just coming off my season pass manager - 'Truck U' and 'Two guys and a Garage' are the ones that come to mind. It's too bad too, because there is some informative shiat on there, but when they start into recommend something based on being paid to say it rather than their experience, EVERYTHING they say comes into question.

Street Tuner Challenge and Sports Car Revolution are pretty close to perfect, but that's all product placed as well. I just love Tom Hnatiw; anyone that enthusiastic about cars is my bud. I love Barry Meguiar as well, even though he's way out there - I think he and I might be of one mind.

Here's an actual idea for you that's not too bad. Do Trading Spaces but with cars. Get two friends/neighbors/what-have-you to swap cars for 3 days while their friends and a qualified mechanic tune/bling/etc... each others cars. Have like a $2000 budget and structure it just like Trading Spaces; under the guidance of the pros, the laymen do the work.

Good luck, the world needs more QUALITY car shows that are there to serve the audience and not the sponsor (see HBO's hit shows).
Old 01-06-2006, 10:47 PM

mercedes vs all would be nice!

ummm i like the tuner shows, but like to see more cars on there rather than just the same civic but different color. SPEED has a couple of good shows, just nothing that really involves MB to much.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:22 AM

ML350 '06
Since we're living in the days of "reality TV" I'd like to see a show that takes hidden cameras into everyday situations that us (the consumers) deal with when it comes to cars. For example:

- Show a consumer walking into a dealership and how he/she is ignored, sales people standing around not doing anything. Then show what it takes to haggle while buying a new car (tips, rip off scams to watch for, the lies the salesman tells you about the cars performance stats, etc).

- Maybe have hidden cameras showing what the customer puts up with when they have to get their car serviced. See what the techs really do with your car when they take it for a "test drive".

- Show what really happens when you use lower octane fuel that "requires" premium. Anything?

- How often do you REALLY need to change the oil in your car? Do tests...bet it's a bunch of hype.

- How about a test for a "Properly" broken in engine vs. an engine driven like you stole it! Any difference? Let's put this debate to rest!

I guess we could call this show "Consumer Reports - The TV Show"

Things like this...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:15 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
these ideas has all been done by Top Gear or Fifth Gear.

I personally like to see a show/series that focuses on European aftermarket support on MBZ, BMW, AUDI, Ferrari, etc etc on how are they developed, tested, manufacturered, head to head comparison for such Brabus vs Carlsson, ACS vs Hamann tuned cars etc.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
shouldnt this be in OT? Your much more likely to get more replies
Old 01-08-2006, 04:57 PM

2001 C320 (purple), 2002 BMW 540i
I would like to see documentaries on crazy one-off's. Like the (i think) Saudi guy who put an SLR engine in an SLK. Anything that individuals do that is absolutely nuts and none of us would probably ever get to see in person.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:16 AM

2003 C32 / 2004 E55 / 2009 C63
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
shouldnt this be in OT? Your much more likely to get more replies
You are right, sorry about that. I just forgot to put it in OT.

Anyway, you guys have some great thoughts. Keep them coming!