quiet tires.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c32amg
quiet tires.

As of now I am running pilot sports on my C32. Getting worn somewhat and REALLY noisy. Any suggestions for a quiet tire replacement? Thanx much.

Slobote
Old 01-21-2006, 10:50 AM

I had Pilot Sports on my Audi TT and at 15K were extremely noisy. I put Pilot Sport PS2s on and the noise difference was remarkable. Still quiet at 26k.
Old 01-21-2006, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
Quitest are Rossos, but they wear incredibly fast on the rear unless you drive like a granny. I agree, PS2s are the best all-around tire, but expensive. Best less-expensive tire was the T-1s, which has been discontinued?, but I hear that the T-1r is just as good, if not better.
Old 01-21-2006, 05:32 PM

2006 SLK55 AMG/// 2006 Porsche CaymanS 2010 135i
Originally Posted by slobote
As of now I am running pilot sports on my C32. Getting worn somewhat and REALLY noisy. Any suggestions for a quiet tire replacement? Thanx much.

Slobote
Goodyear GS-D3 F1's are very quiet, very good tire as well. Quieter than the Pirellis, much quiter that the PS2's

Many members of this forum run them.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:57 PM

SLK32
Yokohama Advan AD07's. Fantastic tire and very quiet.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:29 PM

C280
I used to work in a tire shop. This is a tough one, it all depends on what you want out of your tires. The quietest, smoothest riding tire is going to be the Michelin MXV4 plus. However, you will be sacrificing performance. If you are a much more aggressive driver, I don't recommend this tire. If you just drive your car normal on a daily basis then this is the tire you want. Basically the more performance oriented the tire, the more noisy and rougher the ride. The guys who recommended the Pilot Sport PS2's have the right idea. These are bad a$$ tires. The PS2's have a different tread design than the regular pilot sports. So they are probably much quieter. Keep in mind though, they aren't all season tires, so they won't do well in snow. I'm sorry, but if you want any kind of road comfort, stay away from Goodyears, they suck. Yokohama Advans are bad a$$ tires also, as far as performance goes. Treadwear and ride comfort are different. I guarantee Michelins will last longer and ride quieter than any other tire on the market. Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's are also a good suggestion.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:31 PM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
From my own personal experience, I have to agree that if you want the quietest tire and nothing else, get the michelin mxv4 energy plus. I've tried the following different tires on several different cars over the years: Continental Contisportcontact 2, contiextremecontact, and contiprocontact; BFgoodrich traction t/at, traction t/ah; Dunlop SP sportA2 plus; Kumho ecsta supra 712; Sumitomo HTZ II; Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S; and Michelin mxv4 energy plus. From this short list....michelin is the quietest and kumho is the loudest. But for all around....all-season, comfort, quietness, performance, and excellent treadwear, I would choose the Pirelli pzero nero M&S. I'm waiting for my Michelin primacy to wear out so I can purchase the pirellis.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by 040mercedes
I used to work in a tire shop. This is a tough one, it all depends on what you want out of your tires. The quietest, smoothest riding tire is going to be the Michelin MXV4 plus. However, you will be sacrificing performance. If you are a much more aggressive driver, I don't recommend this tire. If you just drive your car normal on a daily basis then this is the tire you want. Basically the more performance oriented the tire, the more noisy and rougher the ride. The guys who recommended the Pilot Sport PS2's have the right idea. These are bad a$$ tires. The PS2's have a different tread design than the regular pilot sports. So they are probably much quieter. Keep in mind though, they aren't all season tires, so they won't do well in snow. I'm sorry, but if you want any kind of road comfort, stay away from Goodyears, they suck. Yokohama Advans are bad a$$ tires also, as far as performance goes. Treadwear and ride comfort are different. I guarantee Michelins will last longer and ride quieter than any other tire on the market. Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's are also a good suggestion.
I disagree with your opinion about goodyears. I have Goodyear Eagle F1-GS D3's (strictly by choice) and I have never had a better tire. The reviews are in line with mine so I'm not the sole voice on this matter. They're a great tire... excellent grip (both wet and dry) and extremely quiet even with wear. Plus, they have the best looking tread pattern of any tire in its class.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:06 AM

C280
Originally Posted by NY C32
I disagree with your opinion about goodyears. I have Goodyear Eagle F1-GS D3's (strictly by choice) and I have never had a better tire. The reviews are in line with mine so I'm not the sole voice on this matter. They're a great tire... excellent grip (both wet and dry) and extremely quiet even with wear. Plus, they have the best looking tread pattern of any tire in its class.

You're right, I probably should not have said they suck. Eagle F1's are a good tire. As far as performance goes anyone would be hard pressed to find a better performance bargain such as the F1's. Let me clarify my opinion. Not everyone likes Michelin, mostly because of their price tag and the majority of people (I'm not hinting this toward you) just feel like a tire is a tire and no more. After being in the tire business, my reasons for choosing Michelins over Goodyears were the following, customer satisfaction (never once did I ever hear complaints about the ride quality or road noise of a michelin, only compliments. This can not be said about Goodyear) and after watching Michelins and Goodyears spin on a balancer, not only do the Michelins spin flawlessly perfect, but they always require less weight to balance. This shows the exellent build quality of Michelin tires. It's extremely rare to see Goodyears spin this perfect. As far as the tread design, form always follows function. Just because a tread design doesn't look "cool" doesn't mean it won't perform. If you are happy with your Goodyears, that's fine. When I said Goodyears suck, I really didn't have the F1's in mind. I hope I didn't make you angry either. Also, I was answering the original post when the person wanted quieter tires. Like I said, the more performance oriented the tire, the rougher and noisier the ride. This goes with any tire, Michelin or Goodyear. I can bet reviews were good on those tires too, but I can ultimately say with confidence that a Michelin tire, in the same class, will be better overall, other than price, in the longrun. Again, I apologize for saying that they "suck" because they don't (the F1's). Now if you ever get the chance, check out Pilot Sport PS2's or Pilot Exalto PE2's, you will be impressed!!

Last edited by 040mercedes; 01-23-2006 at 02:12 AM.