C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Esp

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 C55
Esp

I wanted to ask you guys if anyone thinks this is normal or not.. Everytime i turn ESP off and press with my car after a bit of peeling traction still manages to catch on at a certain point its very annoying why does it do that? My friend's M3 doesn't do that since he has the option of holding on the ESP button for a while which turns off everything.. Does AMG have anything like that?
Old 03-20-2006, 12:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
STFF - https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ight=dyno+mode
Old 03-20-2006, 04:14 PM

C32
If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find an answer to your question. In the interest of just getting it out on the table:

You can't completely disable ESP on any Mercedes just by pushing the "ESP Off" button. It's rather mis-labeled, if you ask me. It should say "ESP lite" or "1/2 ESP". Maybe "Almost ESP".

The only way to completely disable ESP is to put the car into "Dyno Mode". Info on that can be found in the above-linked thread (which I just realized was one I started :P ) or via the search function.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:49 AM

2005 C55
Thanx guys appreciate it, next time ill do some more research before posting a new thread
Old 03-21-2006, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203, W211, W219, W212
Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
The only way to completely disable ESP is to put the car into "Dyno Mode". Info on that can be found in the above-linked thread (which I just realized was one I started :P ) or via the search function.
Even this is not 100% correct. Based on personal experience, my brakes did engage (and burn) when I was dynoing my car in dyno-mode. I believe Steve's way is the most effective solution: https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....69&postcount=6
Old 03-21-2006, 02:54 PM

AMG Grocery Getter
where is the fuse box? so i just plug the fuse back in after and everything will be back to normal?
Old 03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by mk2tmr2
If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find an answer to your question. In the interest of just getting it out on the table:

You can't completely disable ESP on any Mercedes just by pushing the "ESP Off" button. It's rather mis-labeled, if you ask me. It should say "ESP lite" or "1/2 ESP". Maybe "Almost ESP".

there is nothing wrong with the label on the button, it does what its supposed to do--> turn off esp.
what it doesnt do is turn off ASR.
thats what prevents excessive wheelspin.
its possible to spin the car w/ esp disabled (ive done it, nearly went off a cliff)
Old 03-21-2006, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG_55
there is nothing wrong with the label on the button, it does what its supposed to do--> turn off esp.
what it doesnt do is turn off ASR.
thats what prevents excessive wheelspin.
its possible to spin the car w/ esp disabled (ive done it, nearly went off a cliff)
I think that is incorrect. In fact it is the completely the opposite of what you say.

As we all know, ESP is an umbrella term that includes 2 systems:
1) traction control (or ASR) which limits wheelspin when starting off/accelerating in slippery conditions (it's this system which prevents you from doing burnouts and cuts power sometimes to your drive wheels when you accelerate too quickly)
2) stability control which corrects understeer or oversteer if you corner too fast in slippery conditions

When you press the ESP off button, it disables the ASR traction control to allow for wheelspin when you accelerate. This is most useful when both wheels have zero traction (like in deep snow). With the ASR traction control on, the car can't even move because the traction control cuts power/brakes both drive wheels which have no traction. In this scenario, you press the ESP off button to disable ASR traction control so that you can get some intentional wheelspin, which hopefully will result in some forward momemtum to get you unstuck. (This is listed in the driver's manual and I've had to do this before to get unstuck).

The other thing that happens when you press the ESP off button is set the stability control to a higher threshold before intervening. In other words, it will allow for more understeer/oversteer angle before saving your butt. It does NOT shut down the stability control completely in that it will still activate if you understeer/oversteer too much. This is what frustrates many car magazines because they can't get complete control when oversteering or power sliding the car around a corner on a track when they do their tests.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 03-21-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Here's another aspect that I forgot to mention in my first post. The C55 also has a pseudo electronic LSD system which is still present when you press the ESP off button. (It's actually part of the ASR traction control system except that power won't be cut from the engine). Basically the system will brake one of the drive wheels if it detects excess slipping/spinning compared to the other drive wheel. This is meant to mimic the effect of a mechanical LSD when accelerating out of a corner by braking the drive wheel which is losing traction (the inside wheel typically loses traction and slips when accelerating out of corner) which then results in more power being transferred via the open differential to the outer drive wheel (which has more traction).

This system only applies to the C55 and is not present in the C32 when you press the ESP off button.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:06 AM

08 CLS550 Diamond White 09upgrades
EPS off via Diagnostic mode

There is a way to turn off EPS in an Diagnostic mode... w/out taking out the fuese