C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

To Evosport: Should modded C32s not be using washer fluid in the washer reservoir?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 C32 Black/Charcoal
To Evosport: Should modded C32s not be using washer fluid in the washer reservoir?

There is an ongoing discussion about washer fluid and its possible corrosive effects on the intercooler core of modded vehicles (i.e., ones that have the intercooler fluid re-routed to the windshield washer reservoir). I guess the first question is: Is the intercooler core aluminum? If so, isn't it true that most washer fluid contains methanol and that methanol is highly corrosive to aluminum?
Old 04-26-2006, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
Well after talking to some mechanics and did some research I found out that even coolant will corrode if not change every 2 year and if you did replaced the coolant use MB coolant, aftermarket Like Prestone will eat your heater core or any plastic and aluminum parts overtime. I think MB did a poor job on the core, I have not seen a Picture of the intercooler core but I'm sure it leaks where they did the welds on it. I did Ask if using just plain water or windshild washer fluid would be ok. they told me that it just depends on how long its been there and there is less protection on the parts specially if there is heat involve.

things I would do if you core is not leaking yet

1. replaced you coolant with MB coolant if not done the last 2 to 3 years
2. if it was done and you did it yourself or an independent shop make sure not to use cheap coolant like prestone.

hope this help some people might have a different opinion on this and would like to put there 2 cent in that would be great! I just want to help other members to make sure that its a porblem that we need to be awere of.