C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Makin sure the C55/32 Brothas are hooked up on the ECU Reset...IT SMOKES!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E350
i know that we all kno this procedure is a must for our benz, but some say its not harmful doing this every week and others say its can cause damage every week. Has anyone had any experience doing this procedure for several month and didnt have a problem? Cuz i dont wanna ruin my c class.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by xMaximus
i know that we all kno this procedure is a must for our benz, but some say its not harmful doing this every week and others say its can cause damage every week. Has anyone had any experience doing this procedure for several month and didnt have a problem? Cuz i dont wanna ruin my c class.
Never had a single issue after MANY resets. You are just deleting the adaptions from the ECU memory. Worst case scenario=your car feels like it did the day it left the factory floor (also, that is the best case scenario).
Old 07-28-2008, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Originally Posted by OCKlasse
It may reset those things, but the ECU, I don't believe so.
I would think you, or your tech rather, are probably correct. At least based on my logic and no electic/mechanic degree in my pocket.lol
That or everyone is partially right. I can't see it reseting the entire ECU or everyone with a tune would lose it and be pissed, right? That would be a serious crock if you pay big bucks for a tune only to come on here and try this highly touted trick and lose what you paid for. Resetting the TPS and/or shift pattern would make more sense based on how the car reacts when you do it. As mentioned before it DOES get rid of the notorious tranny jerk for a little while regardless. You would sure think if you can fix it temporarily there must be a way to do the same thing permanently.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 AM

2010 E350
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Never had a single issue after MANY resets. You are just deleting the adaptions from the ECU memory. Worst case scenario=your car feels like it did the day it left the factory floor (also, that is the best case scenario).
Thanks ScottW911...appreciated!
Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2002 C32, 2012 S550
Jerry from LET confirmed with me that the Throttle reset will not affect his ECU Tune.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Gramma_Benz
Jerry from LET confirmed with me that the Throttle reset will not affect his ECU Tune.
Yes, "throttle reset" not "ECU reset". Again, leads me to believe people are just using the wrong word to describe this and what it does.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Yes, "throttle reset" not "ECU reset". Again, leads me to believe people are just using the wrong word to describe this and what it does.
I would agree with you here. It's just that everyone knows what you are talking about when you say "ECU reset".
Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

I just wanted to update my absolute confirmation that the 2 minute wait step in the ECU reset process is not nessesary.

Yesterday, after forgetting to reset the ECU/Throttle for some time, I was sick of the sluggish feel the car had. I pulled up to a traffic light (it had just turned red) and put the car in park, shut off the engine, removed the key for a second, re-inserted the key, turned it to the 2nd postion, depressed the accelerator pedal for just over 5 seconds, turned the ignition off, released the pedal, pulled the key out again, re-inserted the key again, started the car. The light turned green a moment later and I proceeded to set the ESP light flickering for the next 200 yards.

I love this trick. My car feels brand new again. WooHoo!
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 PM

04' C32 AMG & 90' TT 300ZX
Why don't you guys just turn ESP light off lol?
I dono this seems really hard for me to believe, cause even if I'm going like 45 and floor it the esp comes on, but I'll try it and see if i notice a difference. Thanks for the steps Jakpro1!

Edit: I did it....wow.....lol it feels quicker and it responds so much faster and I drive it aggressively sometimes so I thought I wouldn't notice a difference I guess I'm not as aggressive as I thought.

Last edited by redfarsi; 01-31-2009 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:10 AM

GLK 320CDI - 2009 / SL500 - 2003
..erasing the adaptiv information...

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Spread the word

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=148019
...an more easy (and fun) way to get rid of the adaptive information is, according to my MB Tech contact to put yourself in the car get out there moving and perform 3 kick-downs after each other .....you are done...the 4th kick down shall craete an even bigger smile on your face
Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 PM

2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
I just wanted to update my absolute confirmation that the 2 minute wait step in the ECU reset process is not nessesary.

Yesterday, after forgetting to reset the ECU/Throttle for some time, I was sick of the sluggish feel the car had. I pulled up to a traffic light (it had just turned red) and put the car in park, shut off the engine, removed the key for a second, re-inserted the key, turned it to the 2nd postion, depressed the accelerator pedal for just over 5 seconds, turned the ignition off, released the pedal, pulled the key out again, re-inserted the key again, started the car. The light turned green a moment later and I proceeded to set the ESP light flickering for the next 200 yards.

I love this trick. My car feels brand new again. WooHoo!
i love doing that... car feels like brand new every time!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
... are always a good time.
Did the reset today. It felt a little different. Then drove in downtown SF traffic. Now my car is s l o w again.

Oh well...

Ciao!

Miguel

btw... none of my seat, mirror or sunroof settings were affected. But the NPR radio preset was erased. Hmmmm....
Old 02-05-2009, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by Calspeed
Did the reset today. It felt a little different. Then drove in downtown SF traffic. Now my car is s l o w again.

Oh well...

Ciao!

Miguel

btw... none of my seat, mirror or sunroof settings were affected. But the NPR radio preset was erased. Hmmmm....
As stated throughout this thread...This trick just resets the transmission adaptions that accumulate over the span of about 40 accelerations, in the "D" setting only. The reset has nothing to do with the radio, sunroof, seat or mirrors. The car would also not re-learn the city traffic patterns the first time you hit town.

Try it again, give it more than 5 seconds (I usually count out 10 seconds to be safe). You should notice something more than a "little different". It should feel snappier.

Last edited by ScottW911; 02-05-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 PM

As stated throughout this thread...This trick just resets the transmission adaptions that accumulate over the span of about 40 accelerations, in the "D" setting only. The reset has nothing to do with the radio, sunroof, seat or mirrors. The car would also not re-learn the city traffic patterns the first time you hit town.

Try it again, give it more than 5 seconds (I usually count out 10 seconds to be safe). You should notice something more than a "little different". It should feel snappier.
Actually, I was just making fun. I know it has nothing to do with the seats and mirrors and cupholder. Just playing on the several past postings.

As for a difference. Yes there was a slight difference in the shifting. But I do run the car in 3rd most of the time in The City so it doesnt have the opportunity to automatically move through the gears.

Miguel

ps: just having fun in during the cold and rainy SF morning.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Actually, I was just making fun. I know it has nothing to do with the seats and mirrors and cupholder. Just playing on the several past postings.

As for a difference. Yes there was a slight difference in the shifting. But I do run the car in 3rd most of the time in The City so it doesnt have the opportunity to automatically move through the gears.

Miguel

ps: just having fun in during the cold and rainy SF morning.
Sorry. Had my "Gullible" hat on this morning.

ps backatcha: First drops of rain hit outside my office in OC within the last minute. Day started in bright sunshine. Made for a great bike ride at sunrise.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Sorry. Had my "Gullible" hat on this morning.

ps backatcha: First drops of rain hit outside my office in OC within the last minute. Day started in bright sunshine. Made for a great bike ride at sunrise.
In the OC! Nice. My office is off of Lambert Rd in Brea. I work remotely in SF. Next time in town with the AMG will give you a heads up.

ps; no need to worry about the gullible hat. It is raining in California. Something that doesnt happen too often. Cant be too safe. dont want to muss up the coiffe.

Miguel
Old 02-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 AMG C43
In the OC! Nice. My office is off of Lambert Rd in Brea. I work remotely in SF. Next time in town with the AMG will give you a heads up.

ps; no need to worry about the gullible hat. It is raining in California. Something that doesnt happen too often. Cant be too safe. dont want to muss up the coiffe.

Miguel
Im over in Santa Ana for work, but Anaheim Hills for home; a local OC meet would be fun
Old 02-05-2009, 07:57 PM

NEW 08' M6 CAB, 06' 997 911 CS CAB, 09' RX350 AWD, 10' E350 4M, 10' Range Rover; FS: 04' C32 AMG= FS
key positions

can someone please go over what the key positions are?

1 key inserted
2 as you guys (i assume) stated this is the "on" position
3 engine start

or am i missing something?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:15 PM

2005 C55 AMG, 2010 VW GTI (Stage 1)
Originally Posted by AdaMBombC32G
can someone please go over what the key positions are?

1 key inserted
2 as you guys (i assume) stated this is the "on" position
3 engine start

or am i missing something?
1. put key in
2. turn 2 clicks to right to "on" (it's BEFORE the turn for ignition)
3. put foot down on accelerator pedal, hold down for at least 5 seconds (count to 10 to be safe), keep holding down
4. turn key to "off" position, 2 clicks back left (don't take the key out)
5. keep holding accelerator pedal down for at least another 5 seconds, then take your foot off
6. wait a second, then turn the key 3 clicks to the right and START it up!!

some of these guys said they removed the key altogether, but my reset (C55) works without removing it.

let me know if you have any problems. good luck & enjoy
The following users liked this post:
stretchmerc (02-01-2020)
Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM

NEW 08' M6 CAB, 06' 997 911 CS CAB, 09' RX350 AWD, 10' E350 4M, 10' Range Rover; FS: 04' C32 AMG= FS

Originally Posted by AMG Sleeper
1. put key in
2. turn 2 clicks to right to "on" (it's BEFORE the turn for ignition)
3. put foot down on accelerator pedal, hold down for at least 5 seconds (count to 10 to be safe), keep holding down
4. turn key to "off" position, 2 clicks back left (don't take the key out)
5. keep holding accelerator pedal down for at least another 5 seconds, then take your foot off
6. wait a second, then turn the key 3 clicks to the right and START it up!!

some of these guys said they removed the key altogether, but my reset (C55) works without removing it.

let me know if you have any problems. good luck & enjoy

thanks sleeper,
it worked last night, but this morning i woke up and have yet AGAIN (3x in the past two months) check coolant level message... idk what to do, i keep going to the stealership and they charge $120/hr just to tell me whats wrong with the damn thing. i know this is off topic but anyone have any recomendations... can i speak to MB headquarters or something??
Old 02-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Originally Posted by AdaMBombC32G
thanks sleeper,
it worked last night, but this morning i woke up and have yet AGAIN (3x in the past two months) check coolant level message... idk what to do, i keep going to the stealership and they charge $120/hr just to tell me whats wrong with the damn thing. i know this is off topic but anyone have any recomendations... can i speak to MB headquarters or something??
Search the forum for intercooler leaks. Sounds like a good place to start.

Back to the reset....
Old 02-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Search the forum for intercooler leaks. Sounds like a good place to start.

Back to the reset....
thanks scott, but im pretty sure ive changed that at least once before if not MORE, i need to get a new car i think
Old 02-09-2009, 01:11 PM

02 C32 AMG; 06 Subaru Legacy Wagon
thanks guys, nice little trick that freshens things up.

do you think if I click on the START button and hold down the right mouse button for 10 secs, that this will make my laptop run better? ;o)
Old 02-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
02 C320 Sedan
I gotta try this... free bumpoo
Old 02-08-2010, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 Chevrolet SS, 2006 Cadillac STS-V
I tried this yesterday (I finally remembered to do it) and I'm not sure how much of a difference I felt in normal driving (I'll see about that today), but I felt a HUGE difference when I turned ESP off to have some fun. I felt much more like I was in control when sliding through some turns. I guess ESP has adaptations as well since even though when ESP is off it really isn't.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Makin sure the C55/32 Brothas are hooked up on the ECU Reset...IT SMOKES!!!!