W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 06-17-2015, 03:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Holy Crap you guys.....sneaky ECU reset WORKS!!!

Old 05-11-2006, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Holy Crap you guys.....sneaky ECU reset WORKS!!!

Figured what the hell, and gave it a shot per the instructions someone posted. I get her out and punch it from a start and it feels weird....a bit unstable. I am like great, I broke something, then I realize it is pulling like a friggin freight train and my a$$ is wiggling. I can't wait til the ECU sets me up this way....maybe better, that would smoke.

Anyway proceeded to do some launches and I can really tell a difference in shifts. Someone said it best....feels like the car had a tune up or something.

I COMMAND all of you to try this (well if you are not happy with your current setup). I just know now my car set me up wimpy due to long highway miles after driving back from Klee. Enjoy!!!

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jakpro1:
jsbarr (05-24-2017), PNW_E63_AMG (08-19-2022)
Old 05-11-2006, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Jak...what type of launches did you try after you reset the ECU?

1. ESP on off?
2. Mode? Sport/Comfort/Manual
3. Jam the accelerator vs. Slight pump, then jamming the accelerator to the floor?
Old 05-11-2006, 04:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W221 S65 AMG
Jak,

Do you have an aftermarket ECU? Would it reflash that somehow? Your stock ECU + Nos if I am correct?

I used to pull fuses in my Supra and it would make a BIG difference, similar to what sounds like here.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Received 505 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Beowulf posted that in one of your previous threads. https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/133016-gonna-try-resetting-ecu-tranny-let-s-see-what-happens.html

I printed the protocol out but have yet to try it. Who figures this crap out?

I will definitely try it before the ride home tonight. I hope I don't lose K2.

Last edited by Rock; 05-11-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
Originally Posted by Rock
Beowulf posted that in one of your previous threads. https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133016

I printed the protocol out but have yet to try it. Who figures this crap out?

dude.... everytime i see your car- your wheels just stun me.... the package(color/wheels/drop) that you have-- It is exactly the same way i have my BMW M5 E60 on GT4 hahaha... i guess you and i have similar taste !

If i were to get an E55 it would be just like yours or the light blue... with those wheels !
Old 05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
Originally Posted by Rock
JakPro1 has K2
Old 05-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
The ECU reset procedure only erases the ADAPTIVE transmission & throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel/timing or other programming.

I've been doing this since I had the car, only I was doing it the hard way; disconnecting the battery terminal overnight. This procedure described is what the techs use when they want to reset those settings.

It works great, but, as soon as you get back into a pattern of slow, constant speed driving, it will go back and you'll have to do this again.
The following users liked this post:
CMGSL55 (12-08-2018)
Old 05-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Yeah, I know but I was thinking that with my luck when I do the reset it will put my car in permanent limp mode.

Josh, thanks again for you help today.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:43 PM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
Sooo...this procedure--resetting ECU--is a function of "tuning up vehicle"? Similar to A/B service?....So, how often do you do this?
....Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge and for asking many questions...
Will it, then, reset my A/B service reminder?
How significant is the difference of feeling and/or driving, afterwards?
Lastly...This process is applicable to which model(s) & yr?

Thank-you in advance!...I'm fascinated w/ your finding--thank-you for sharing!

Kind regards,
Reynaldo
Old 05-11-2006, 06:50 PM

04 CL600
Will this technique work for the W210? Or do I need to disconnect the battery?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:53 PM

'03-ML350 'inspiration'
Originally Posted by t-boy
Will this technique work for the W210? Or do I need to disconnect the battery?
...What the hell, t-boy?...You just had to jump in front--heh, mate??...Didn't you read my posting(Last question)??

Last edited by Reynaldo; 05-11-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by vrus
The ECU reset procedure only erases the ADAPTIVE transmission & throttle settings. It does not erase any of the fuel/timing or other programming.

I've been doing this since I had the car, only I was doing it the hard way; disconnecting the battery terminal overnight. This procedure described is what the techs use when they want to reset those settings.

It works great, but, as soon as you get back into a pattern of slow, constant speed driving, it will go back and you'll have to do this again.
All motronics since 3.1 have adaptive fuel curves/LTFTs and timing curves which are learned from driving habits. The ECU reset should erase those. In most cases this is also why comparison dynos on an OBDII car will not be as accurate without resetting the ECU each time.

On a car like an OBDII E36M3, the reset can be good for 5-7 hp. An old trick some of the M3 tuners used to do would be to dyno a customer car, bolt on a useless mod and then re-dyno after resetting the ECU. Guaranteed 5-7 hp.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by egutie6970
dude.... everytime i see your car- your wheels just stun me.... the package(color/wheels/drop) that you have-- It is exactly the same way i have my BMW M5 E60 on GT4 hahaha... i guess you and i have similar taste !

If i were to get an E55 it would be just like yours or the light blue... with those wheels !

You are obviously a man of extraordinarily good taste. Carry on.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 PM

05 E55
ok, so I just did it... is there any confirmation of the reset? Do you just assume its done? I just drove the hell out of it and it chirped in 2nd gear with traction control on... conicidence?

Maybe its my new tinted tail lights making me feel faster...

Loren
phantomrecords (09-09-2023)
Old 05-11-2006, 10:29 PM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by vrus

As far as I know as Victor noted this resets the adaptive tranny not the ECU per se. I've tried it several times and it does work. Significantly better performance occurs. Whenever I want to scortch the roads home after work I reset it and turn off the ESP. I don't care if I do make more noise and smoke it just feels better than letting the HP back off with ESP.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 AM

///E63V10 ///F80CS ///Can-Am X3 XRS
Originally Posted by Vetluver
As far as I know as Victor noted this resets the adaptive tranny not the ECU per se. I've tried it several times and it does work. Significantly better performance occurs. Whenever I want to scortch the roads home after work I reset it and turn off the ESP. I don't care if I do make more noise and smoke it just feels better than letting the HP back off with ESP.
Rob, is this permanent after performing the reset? If not is there a way to tell that the ECU is set back to factory again? I'm gonna try it before cruising out Friday evening. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 S63 Coupe Iridium Silver
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Figured what the hell, and gave it a shot per the instructions someone posted. I get her out and punch it from a start and it feels weird....a bit unstable. I am like great, I broke something, then I realize it is pulling like a friggin freight train and my a$$ is wiggling. I can't wait til the ECU sets me up this way....maybe better, that would smoke.

Anyway proceeded to do some launches and I can really tell a difference in shifts. Someone said it best....feels like the car had a tune up or something.

I COMMAND all of you to try this (well if you are not happy with your current setup). I just know now my car set me up wimpy due to long highway miles after driving back from Klee. Enjoy!!!

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.
Phwoaaah! I just did mine and after a quick test drive had to come back home to change my underwear!
This car just rips up the tarmac and the orange ESP light (which I hardly ever see unless I am taking a sharp corner too fast) stays on for 100' in a straight line after launch! I really struggled to keep it on a straight and narrow on a suburban street.

From now on, every night after parking my car in the garage, I am going to
"tune it up" so it's ready for the next day! Thanks for the tip!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
The man who found this needs to be hoisted up on our shoulders....or at least bought a beer.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:40 AM

SL 65 AMG and E63s AMG
Originally Posted by JAY55
Rob, is this permanent after performing the reset? If not is there a way to tell that the ECU is set back to factory again? I'm gonna try it before cruising out Friday evening. Thanks!
The memory in the transmission slowly adapts to you routine driving habits for maximum gas milage and smoothness (I guess). As long as you continue to drive the snot out of it, it will continue to have this pattern of shifting. As soon as you drive normally it will slowly go back to shifting softly and less agressively. According to an article that was quoted here a while back it takes 40 shifts to teach the trans how you drive.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I guess the big question this leads to is.....

When the tranny ECU learns the radical pattern (the drive like you stole), will it adjust and make even more power, or just lock the car in this already incredible performance pattern.

I am serious, mine is pretty dramatic. I am sure the guys already setup with the more aggresive pattern will not see a huge difference, but for geezer setup guys like me...WOW.

Like I said, a$$ wiggling on the thing.....felt like Beyonce.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:03 PM

05' E55
now all we need is for somebody to come up with a ecu that keeps the aggressive driving ecu or a switchable to go from aggresive to smooth....
Old 05-12-2006, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by Cosm
now all we need is for somebody to come up with a ecu that keeps the aggressive driving ecu or a switchable to go from aggresive to smooth....
Methinks most ECU updaters do this to the car: Make it more agressive so that you have the sensation your car is faster, which it actually isn't. It just shiftst faster in automatic.

On-topic, I tried it with my S55 and it seems to work. After the 'reset' I drove like a maniac for a couple of miles of stop & go traffic, and the result is that driving away from a stoplight makes foor screaming tires.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:50 PM

04 CL600
I tried with my 01 and I am not sure it worked.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:05 PM

2003 E55
This made a world of a difference in my car. Tried it today and the car felt much stronger. I just bought the car too so it makes me feel even better for buying the beast.
Ronald12 (10-29-2022)
Old 05-12-2006, 11:04 PM

'03 E500 sport
Will it work on stock E500??

Hey all, will this work on a stock E500 w211???

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Holy Crap you guys.....sneaky ECU reset WORKS!!!