C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Whining/buzzing when turning steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flint Gray E63
Whining/buzzing when turning steering wheel

I have a 2003 C32 and when I start the car in the morning when it is cold and then start driving, when I turn the steering wheel left or right there is an unusually loud whining/buzzing noise. The noise usually goes away after the car warms up. Anybody experience this? I am thinking there is something wrong with the power steering? I have had this car for only a couple weeks, so not sure what is normal with these cars....
Old 05-25-2006, 01:54 AM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
i had the exact same problem. loud whining/buzzing from front when cold start. after starting the car when it's warm, or in warm weather, it was gone. the power steering fluid needed to be topped off in my case, it was too low.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
My steering wheel does the same thing. I was doing doughnuts and my power steering died on me. The dealer replaced the power steering pump and rack & pinion. I got the power steering back, but when driving at slow speeds (5mph and under) the wheel makes this annoying grinding noise and the steering feels very heavy. I took it back to another dealer and they made it better, but its still there.
Old 05-26-2006, 03:02 PM

Flint Gray E63
The power steering fluid was very low. I sucked out all the old fluid with my Pela oil extractor and then added new MB fluid and it's super quiet now...