Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 04:47 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
030 545 2332

Originally Posted by TJ_Andrews
What's the part # of it on that page? Also, is it an easy install?
The new part number is 032 545 1232. The part number in your car is most likely 030 545 2332. If you have part number 1232, then you have a 2003 or later (from what I have been told). If you have a 2002, then you need the latest TCM, which is 032 545 1232. If they says it's not for your car, reference the 2332 number and it will show in their system that it has been changed to 1232.

The EGS/ETC unit (transmission control unit) is located in the passenger front footwell under the aluminum kickplate. Pull back the carpet from above, unscrew the three plastic nuts and flip the aluminum kickplate over, and voila

Thanks to moorfan for some if this info.

It appears as if the wrecked 03 TCM that I paid $375 for was actually a new unit. I was told that these can only be programmed once and the tech at the dealership was shocked when the "wrecked 03" TCM took a reflash / re-code for my car. I brushed it off after he said it, but as I told moorfan via PM, the TCM arrived in a sealed static bag with a white mercedes sticker over it. It looked as if the bag had never been opened. The TCM itself was scratched though.

I can say that my jerk is now gone and if memory serves me right, I have over 2k on the car since I switched TCM's.

Last edited by sales@eurocharged.com; 02-27-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C32
This is a very important point to make. I have just discovered the following: If you own a 2002 C32, then a used TCU from an '03 or '04 (such as from a salvage yard) WILL NOT WORK FOR YOU.
I discovered this after listening to some earlier posts and buying a unit off a wrecked '03 for my 2002 C32.
The unit needs to be SCN coded to your car, and you CANNOT DO THAT with a 2002 C32. Any updated TCU for a 2002 C32 MUST be a new unit that has been VIN coded to your car from the dealer or factory or vendor.

Now, if I had a 2003 C32 and wanted to put the TCU from a wrecked '03 into it, then the unit could be recoded to the car.
Don't make this mistake...it's expensive.

Regards,
Pete

It appears as if the wrecked 03 TCM that I paid $375 for was actually a new unit. I was told that these can only be programmed once and the tech at the dealership was shocked when the "wrecked 03" TCM took a reflash / re-code for my car. I brushed it off after he said it, but as I told moorfan via PM, the TCM arrived in a sealed static bag with a white mercedes sticker over it. It looked as if the bag had never been opened. The TCM itself was scratched though.

I can say that my jerk is now gone and if memory serves me right, I have over 2k on the car since I switched TCM's.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Thank you for the input guys. I'm going to purchase a new TCU sometime next month. I'll post my results.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:40 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
The new part number is 032 545 1232. The part number in your car is most likely 030 545 2332. If you have part number 1232, then you have a 2003 or later (from what I have been told). If you have a 2002, then you need the latest TCM, which is 032 545 1232. If they says it's not for your car, reference the 2332 number and it will show in their system that it has been changed to 1232.

The EGS/ETC unit (transmission control unit) is located in the passenger front footwell under the aluminum kickplate. Pull back the carpet from above, unscrew the three plastic nuts and flip the aluminum kickplate over, and voila

Thanks to moorfan for some if this info.

I can say that my jerk is now gone and if memory serves me right, I have over 2k on the car since I switched TCM's.
Very helpful (in case I ever get the "jerk") to know this info. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 PM

2007 E550 and 2007 335i
Trans jerking

I have complained about the transmission jerking when warm for 5 years. They said they could never duplicate. Last month I took it in again and finally the transmission had thrown some codes. They replaced the ecu no problem since then. ( car is a 2002 C32 with 66k miles)

Also to DL AMG I also had the vibration when cold from 35-45 mph. Took it in numerous times and since the sa told me it was just a function of the stock low profile tires, I called him on that by having the car spend the night on a lift so the tires were not squared. I went there in the morning took the car off the lift. And showed the service manager and the sa the vibration. I showed them some info about the fluid in the driveshaft. But he just gave up and did nothing.

that is my 2 cents
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
If you order a new TCU from https://www.trademotion.com/, are you able to stick it in and it automatically work, or do you have to go to the dealership and pay them a bunch of money to make it work for you?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
If you order a new TCU from https://www.trademotion.com/, are you able to stick it in and it automatically work, or do you have to go to the dealership and pay them a bunch of money to make it work for you?

Well, I'm about to find that one out. I just ordered a new TCU from Duval. I would suggest using this sub-branch of the trademotion system:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...51&catalogid=0

Duval Motorcars is a Mercedes dealer in Florida. They will order OEM Mercedes parts for you at wholesale prices ($306 versus the $420 that my local benz dealer quoted me). They will ask for your VIN and make sure that the unit is pre-coded for your car. Will it work? I dunno...I am presuming it will. I'll let you know.

regards,
Pete
Old 03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
SPONSOR

C63S

I spoke to the guy on the phone and he said it is coded to your VIN before it ships so it will be plug and play. That's why you can't return it.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG Maserati Coupe GT
Different kind of BAM

I am watching this thread with interest.

I just experienced the "jerk" a few weeks ago, but NOT at 1500PRM!

On one cold morning, I started my car, put my car in reverse to back my car out of my driveway. As soon as the tranny was engaged, i got a loud BAM, I was shaken, quickly put it into the Drive position, BAM again.

That's was all, everything was OK after that. Haven't experience the BAM since then.

EDIT: Start of engine in cold morning, the engine was probably revving at 1500-2000 RPM ?? Co-instance?

Last edited by dchao; 03-03-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Duval Motorcars is a Mercedes dealer in Florida. They will order OEM Mercedes parts for you at wholesale prices ($306 versus the $420 that my local benz dealer quoted me). They will ask for your VIN and make sure that the unit is pre-coded for your car. Will it work? I dunno...I am presuming it will. I'll let you know.

regards,
Pete[/QUOTE]

Well, my new transmission control unit arrived today, and with much anticipation I installed it.
Did it work in my car? Yes.
Does the car still jerk? Yes.

I dare say that the car does shift better, but the jerk is still there.
What next? About the only thing I have left is the torque converter. Maybe that is bad. I doubt it.
I'm starting to believe that the adaptive functioning of the transmission is the source of the jerk. I would love to find a way to disengage the adapatation function and just drive the car, rather than letting it try to drive me.

Regards,
Pete
Old 03-06-2007, 10:17 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Do a throttle reset (described on this forum many times, and under the w203 section), I believe that will reset the transmission map and transmission will start learning from scratch. See if you notice a difference then.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by gkstar
Do a throttle reset (described on this forum many times, and under the w203 section), I believe that will reset the transmission map and transmission will start learning from scratch. See if you notice a difference then.
At best it will be a patch that will last a day or two and it will be back just as bad as before. The problem is the TCU is learning wrong every time (so says the clueless dealer I have at least).
Old 03-07-2007, 12:11 AM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
I think this worth a try as transmission may relearn and settle on a different map with the new TCU. It will at the least confirm where the problem is.

I also remember my dealer mentioned that they have reprogrammed the shift points of the transmission for a customer as his specific driving pattern made the tranny shift up and down way too often. So they can change the program, if they want to and if the specific dealer is knowledgeable enough. This was done on a recent model Merc but he did not specify which and I did not ask either.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I also remember my dealer mentioned that they have reprogrammed the shift points of the transmission for a customer as his specific driving pattern made the tranny shift up and down way too often. So they can change the program, if they want to and if the specific dealer is knowledgeable enough. This was done on a recent model Merc but he did not specify which and I did not ask either.
Before I moved down south, my previous dealer loaded some updated software that was supposed to take care of the problem. It worked for awhile but came back worse than before in the long run.
Regardless it won't hurt to try and clear it out.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
I think this worth a try as transmission may relearn and settle on a different map with the new TCU. It will at the least confirm where the problem is.

I will try this of course but I doubt it will be effective. By definition I reset the ECU before driving with the new module, and it didn't make any real difference.
There is a philosophical problem with adaptive transmissions, and that is that the car ends up trying to predict behavior on my part, where as the behavior is often very different. How can the computer predict when some stupid buzz-cut with a primered Honda Civic and a big tailpipe is going to pull up next to me, versus when I am behind a 126 year-old woman in a Buick at a red light? It can't.

Regards,
Pete
Old 03-07-2007, 10:20 AM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
It would be nice to have an "adaptive transmission mode" on/off switch, should not implicate any mechanical or other issues, one would think.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:17 PM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Thank you for the input guys. I'm going to purchase a new TCU sometime next month. I'll post my results.
Ever get the new TCU, I'm starting to feel a little jerk, and I'm pretty sure the problem is the same as what's described in this thread and fixable by the TCU.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS55 Designo 030
Well, I PMed moorfan and his results were not what I was expecting. Apparently, he didn't get rid of the "jerk" after replacing it with a new one.

If you want to give it a try, go to oempartsdirect.com. They are giving to all mbworld members a 25% discount off list prices for a month. It should be a bit a cheaper than Duvals. Type the discount code: 8253 in the comments section and you are set.

I'm getting a new windshield this month.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Man that sucks!

I wonder why my jerk is gone after the swap....
Old 03-15-2007, 10:31 AM

2002 C32 ///AMG
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
Man that sucks!

I wonder why my jerk is gone after the swap....
From everything I've read, if it isn't the glycol contamination, it's very likely that it's the TCU replace, and since my tranny is fine, and I've got a Behr radiator now, I'm pretty sure that the little jerk I have is from the TCU, doesn't make sense to be anythign else, and if I accelerate just a little bit I have no jerk at all. So something's up with the TCU telling the torque convertor, "Hey, jerk this man around a lil bit, he's not going fast enough!"
Old 03-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
So something's up with the TCU telling the torque convertor, "Hey, jerk this man around a lil bit, he's not going fast enough!"
You know, you say that in jest, but my SA actually said a similar thing to me. Appearantly, my tranny jerk in "normal", I'm just not driving it hard enough. Now, if I could just get the cars in front of me to understand what my TCU is saying.....
Old 03-15-2007, 02:12 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by ScottW911
You know, you say that in jest, but my SA actually said a similar thing to me. Appearantly, my tranny jerk in "normal", I'm just not driving it hard enough. Now, if I could just get the cars in front of me to understand what my TCU is saying.....

LOL... That is the statement of the day!
Old 03-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by ///AMG4EVER
Well, I PMed moorfan and his results were not what I was expecting. Apparently, he didn't get rid of the "jerk" after replacing it with a new one.

If you want to give it a try, go to oempartsdirect.com. They are giving to all mbworld members a 25% discount off list prices for a month. It should be a bit a cheaper than Duvals. Type the discount code: 8253 in the comments section and you are set.

I'm getting a new windshield this month.

Good luck and let me know if it works for you.
I should add this bit of info. After being depressed about my continued jerkiness, I checked the transmission fluid that I had just had replaced by a local independant "mercedes expert". The transmission was 2 liters overfilled, and was filled with a brownish-yellow substance that was definitely NOT original MB fluid. I took it to my dealer, who powerflushed the system, and honestly the jerk is about 80% reduced.

Regards,
Pete
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 AM

2001 C32 AMG
Did anyone get to bottom of this as I an depressed with my 2001 c32
Old 11-07-2012, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
This is the way they are so you will have to live with it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another 'jerk at 1500 rpm" saga for your entertainment