C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Another 'jerk at 1500 rpm" saga for your entertainment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 11:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Another 'jerk at 1500 rpm" saga for your entertainment

I have a 2002 C32 with 44k on it and I have the jerk.

Took it in the first time to Sears Imports in Mpls. They said "high performance cars hunt and seek for gears and that's what you're feeling".

Immediately went to Feldmann's, they knew the problem, 'cleared the adapation', and it was great for a couple months.

Took it back, they tried to clear it, but it was incomplete and they said that might be as good as it gets.

Took it back and they turned to MB techs who told them to replace the valve-body, which did nothing (but hey, new valve-body).

Now they are going to put in a new torque converter, which is being shipped from germany.

ETA - unkown, but they'll close it up and I get the car back before an autox this weekend

Isn't this a software problem?

I have to say that my SA at Feldmann's has been great and I'm sure I'm they're worst farking nightmare. I come in with my print-outs and threads and stuff - I'm sure they hate guys like me, but I'm just feeling my way through this process and I don't know who to trust. They're just going to have to earn that I guess, like any customer-service interaction.

More as the story develops.

Had front thrust bushings(???) replaced (vibration going over bumps)
They're looking into vibration between 40-50 and sudden power loss at high rpms. Any wild-***-guesses (aaaah-intercoolerpump-choooo).
Old 06-20-2006, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 CLK55
lol Bif, that sounds like quite a few problems you are having at the same time

well i guess each car has their own little problems. mine has the jerk problem and the purge valve ticking problem. but i am just too lazy to get it fixed. but now i realize my warranty is almost over, i am gona take it to stealership for a visit next weekend.

I guess the jerking is something the MB techs can do simply by flashing the ECU. (according to what i have read.)

BTW, did you get your purge valve problem fixed?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:27 PM

2002 c32
Nah, I've heard it's like a $20 part, and I'm looking for easy projects like that to get experience wrenching around this engine.

Soon though. SL intake would be fun too.

Originally Posted by D_Star
lol Bif, that sounds like quite a few problems you are having at the same time

well i guess each car has their own little problems. mine has the jerk problem and the purge valve ticking problem. but i am just too lazy to get it fixed. but now i realize my warranty is almost over, i am gona take it to stealership for a visit next weekend.

I guess the jerking is something the MB techs can do simply by flashing the ECU. (according to what i have read.)

BTW, did you get your purge valve problem fixed?
Old 06-20-2006, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
I got a rebuilt tranny out of my jerk problem.. but yet I think it still exists to a lesser extent.. oh well free tranny rebuild at 93k miles under warranty... lol
Old 06-20-2006, 11:51 PM

05 CLK55
hahaha its time we take somthing back. how bad was your jerk actually? was it just something you guys could felt, but not tooo disturbing and decided to get it check for the sake of the babe....or was it like sitting in an M3?
Old 06-21-2006, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
I never really notice it unless I am in bumper to bumper traffic, which is every day after work.. I will lightly press on the gas and every once and a while it seems to just jump forward a little..
Old 06-21-2006, 12:30 AM

2002 c32
I get it every time I drive everytime I take off, unless I take off pretty hard on it. Sometimes it's slight, and sometimes it's kinda violent.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:33 AM

05 CLK55
i might as well have the dealer check this out for me. i wonder if i'll get anything accomplished for having so many problem reports at once
Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 AM

2011 C63, 2004 S500, 2013 E350, 2013 Ody Elite
While I'm waiting for new A/C compressor to ship from German, my vibration problem still exist after last fix. The vibration are not just happen when car is cold and between 40-50mph. I can feel visible vibration when car goes above 80 mph and deceleration (cruising without applying brake) on any speed above 40 mph. It makes me think either drive shaft, disk brake or somewhere alone the drive tran is not balance.
Have anyone thinking applying Lemon Law since they can't fix the same problem for more then 3 tries.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:49 AM

2002 c32
I think lemon law has to be clearly a safety issue, so that might be arguable. I was also thinking drive-shaft, not because of any brilliant (or stupid) mechanical ability I have, just that I've heard of this before and sounds plausible. Also, I had a drive-shaft flange (I think it was) go out on the tranny and I always wondering if some wobbling in the drive shaft didn't cause that.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
bif what part of the US are you in?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:16 AM

07 SL550; C32 (sold)
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I get it every time I drive everytime I take off, unless I take off pretty hard on it. Sometimes it's slight, and sometimes it's kinda violent.
i have it and it scares the crap out of me sometimes. no fix so far.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:35 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
well, that's better than stalling out at the stop sign less than 1 miniute away leaving my house like I did today. I managed to push the car to the side of the road with down hill slope behind me and down hill slope in front of me. I had about 50 feet to push the car to the side and jump in to stop it before it roll down the hill with out me in it. I started the car after 6 tries.

the problem was the crank position sensor died due to it rusting for some reason. replaced under extended warranty at the dealership. Without it you're looking at a 1.5hr labor plus part at the dealership. I was at the dealer today for 3 hrs for this because they have to wait for the car to cool down after i got there.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:07 AM

2002 c32
Western Minneapolis suburbs. MN. No we don't all talk like Fargo, dontchaknow.

Originally Posted by Trekman
bif what part of the US are you in?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:29 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32 AMG & Sold: Mazda RX-8
and sudden power loss at high rpms. Any wild-***-guesses (aaaah-intercoolerpump-choooo).
Bif, I have this problem but only momenterily. It is as though the ignition key is turned off and on whilst you are driving whilst accelerating. Is this the same as your problem?

I have replaced my Intercooler Pump and having experienced those symptoms this problem is quite different. Problem has been there for about a year now and is intermittent.

Can anyone shed any light on this one?

Joe
Old 06-21-2006, 10:00 AM

2002 c32
I would say it's more like someone reached down and hit the brake really hard at the top of the RPM range - this happens at the 1st to second shift and sometimes up around 75-85 or so and only when I really have my foot in it.

My power-loss is intermittent as well.

Bif

Originally Posted by OZC32AMG
Bif, I have this problem but only momenterily. It is as though the ignition key is turned off and on whilst you are driving whilst accelerating. Is this the same as your problem?

I have replaced my Intercooler Pump and having experienced those symptoms this problem is quite different. Problem has been there for about a year now and is intermittent.

Can anyone shed any light on this one?

Joe
Old 06-21-2006, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Silver 2002 C32, Silver 2006 CLK 350
bif I was asking cuz I know when it hot outside my car runs like crap. but Im sure it doesnt get over 100 degrees where your at so might be a different problem

Last edited by Trekman; 06-22-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by FrankW
well, that's better than stalling out at the stop sign less than 1 miniute away leaving my house like I did today. I managed to push the car to the side of the road with down hill slope behind me and down hill slope in front of me. I had about 50 feet to push the car to the side and jump in to stop it before it roll down the hill with out me in it. I started the car after 6 tries.

the problem was the crank position sensor died due to it rusting for some reason. replaced under extended warranty at the dealership. Without it you're looking at a 1.5hr labor plus part at the dealership. I was at the dealer today for 3 hrs for this because they have to wait for the car to cool down after i got there.
Hey Frank.. I just had this problem fixed too.. Crank position sensor.. I pulled into the car wash and when they tried to pull it into the tunnel it wouldn't start. I sat there for 15 minutes trying to start the car and it finally started.. I drove straight to the dealer..
Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM

2002 c32
Hard to say - we definitely do get 100+ days here in the summer, but this started happening to me the first time in the spring. In fact the first day it was dry enough to put my foot into it, I passed a semi on some back road and it felt so good I just kept it floored and at like 85 it cut out like that. I did think it ran better last winter, but the roads are so horked you can't really ever accelerate hard - especially with snow-tires.

Originally Posted by Trekman
bif I was asking cuz I know when it hot outside my car runs like crap. but Im sure id doesnt get over 100 degrees where your at so might be a different problem
Old 06-21-2006, 11:55 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by amgmark
Hey Frank.. I just had this problem fixed too.. Crank position sensor.. I pulled into the car wash and when they tried to pull it into the tunnel it wouldn't start. I sat there for 15 minutes trying to start the car and it finally started.. I drove straight to the dealer..
that's longer than I did before I restarted the car. I spent around 5 min.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Bif

""I would say it's more like someone reached down and hit the brake really hard at the top of the RPM range - this happens at the 1st to second shift and sometimes up around 75-85 or so and only when I really have my foot in it.""

At high speed, that sounds like the engine management system is pulling torque during shifts, so the transmission does not shift under full power.

At lower speed, I get the same thing, when ESP is off and I hit it from a low speed full throttle. I think the traction control is sensing loss of traction shifting from 1st to 2nd and causing the rear brakes to be applied. The ESP switch does not shut off all of the traction control.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:09 PM

2002 c32
Wouldn't that loss of power be more consistent though, if it's throttling back to shift properly, or if the ESP is kicking in?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by FrankW
that's longer than I did before I restarted the car. I spent around 5 min.
I was so embarassed! I drive up in my beautiful C32 and it just died in the car wash driveway.. I sat there looking like a doofus for 15 minutes trying to start the stupid thing..
Old 06-22-2006, 01:51 PM

2016 C300
I have a 2002 C32 with 44k on it and I have the jerk.

Took it in the first time to Sears Imports in Mpls. They said "high performance cars hunt and seek for gears and that's what you're feeling".

Immediately went to Feldmann's, they knew the problem, 'cleared the adapation', and it was great for a couple months.

Took it back, they tried to clear it, but it was incomplete and they said that might be as good as it gets.

Took it back and they turned to MB techs who told them to replace the valve-body, which did nothing (but hey, new valve-body).

Now they are going to put in a new torque converter, which is being shipped from germany.

ETA - unkown, but they'll close it up and I get the car back before an autox this weekend

Isn't this a software problem?

I have to say that my SA at Feldmann's has been great and I'm sure I'm they're worst farking nightmare. I come in with my print-outs and threads and stuff - I'm sure they hate guys like me, but I'm just feeling my way through this process and I don't know who to trust. They're just going to have to earn that I guess, like any customer-service interaction.

More as the story develops.

Had front thrust bushings(???) replaced (vibration going over bumps)
They're looking into vibration between 40-50 and sudden power loss at high rpms. Any wild-***-guesses (aaaah-intercoolerpump-choooo).
my dealer also replaced the valve-body.....didn't help with the jerking at all ..........gonna go back soon
Old 06-22-2006, 03:53 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by amgmark
I was so embarassed! I drive up in my beautiful C32 and it just died in the car wash driveway.. I sat there looking like a doofus for 15 minutes trying to start the stupid thing..
lol...I was in the middle of the road in the community i live in. I never knew so many people go by in a 5min stretch.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another 'jerk at 1500 rpm" saga for your entertainment