Question on TC/SC and Nitrous

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Question on TC/SC and Nitrous

I am seriously considering upgrading the performance on my CLK500. I am looking for the cheapest ways to significantly increase horsepower. I was thinking a turbo would be perfect, however, it seems like nobody has an aftermarket turbo for Mercedes. Anybody have any ideas? I would love to go with a super charger but it seems like they are all way too expensive.

I was also thinking about nitrous. I know nothing about nitrous except that when used, it is supposed to make the car much faster. Would anybody like to fill me in on general info on nitrous, legality, hp gains, problems, setups, prices and manufacturers?

Thanks a lot guys.

(Yes, this is a repost because it seems like the C AMG's are the most modified cars)
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
You should be able to make your own turbo setup. A LOT of the local tuners here do it to just about EVERYTHING and it's almost always just 'buy a garrett turbo, get some local shop to make the piping and FMIC, dyno and tune'. I'm thinking about doing it to my Suburban
Old 06-22-2006, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Yeah, thats what I'm probably gonna wind up doing if I can justify the $.

Doesn't somebody have a Renntech C32 with nitrous on this forum?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C55 AMG
How much are you looking to spend? That might help us identify more options for you. In any case, I don't think there's any way to S/C a Mercedes without blowing a big chuck of change. Tuners are few and far between consequently the options available are all expensive.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Just spoke with the owner of a good local tuner shop...said a turbo would probably be about 10 grand but by the time I'm done with everything maybe 20 grand. I know Kleeman and Renntech are like 15 grand for an S/C...so I guess forced induction is out of the question for me.

He did however, mention a nitrous set-up. He said it would cost me about 3 grand. He said he'd start me out with 50hp, then raise it up to about 75...he said I could get more hp if I wanted. He also said you can unplug the bottle and hide some plugs so this way, when I go to the dealer its not detectable. I think Nitrous might be the best way to go. What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with nitrous? How about the price? Thanks a lot dudes
Old 06-23-2006, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion

He did however, mention a nitrous set-up. He said it would cost me about 3 grand. He said he'd start me out with 50hp, then raise it up to about 75...he said I could get more hp if I wanted. He also said you can unplug the bottle and hide some plugs so this way, when I go to the dealer its not detectable. I think Nitrous might be the best way to go. What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with nitrous? How about the price? Thanks a lot dudes

Wow, I really don't know where to begin, so I'll just state the one simple and most important thing regarding nitrous: it's just not worth it! The long-term costs by far outweigh the benefits. It'll be cheaper up front than going with a blown setup from a respected, well R&D'd supplier such as RENNtech, Kleemann, Evosport, etc. - but in the long run, you'll have other issues that could prove VERY expensive. By the way, I do not work for, or have any affiliation with any of the tuners I mentioned.

No need to take my word for it - ask some experts (who are not trying to sell you a nitrous system)!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Hm...maybe your right...still, I've heard from other people running nitrous that as long as you're not stupid with it, it is totally problem free.

I could always do an evosport pulley kit and chip and probably wind up with an extra 30hp, which isn't too bad.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. My friend who has an E55 and who posts on these forums once in a while may also get a nitrous setup in his car...so if he does it, I most likely will. If not, then I'll probably go with a SpeedTuningUSA chip.