C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

In market for a C55 (vs others ...)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
will decide after Iraq
In market for a C55 (vs others ...)

This is my first post. Please, no fighting, name calling, and no .

So I managed to wreck my chick magnet 2001 Mustang V6 in avoid-me-white with sluggish acceleration package. Now I'm in the market for something luxurious, german, and fast.

I've been looking at the M3 for a long time and it seems to be an idol, a classic, a venerable trackstar. More importantly it is a sickening chick magnet. So end of story, right? Not quite. In looking at BMW forums I found most of the 3-series cars to be very cheap-ish and only reinforced my idea of BMW as a second place finisher with cheaper build quality. The aura of white-trash-ness seems to permeate every overly modded 3-series bmw, including the older M3's. I've driven old and new 3 series and M3's and they are very fun, but I'm past the boy racer age and dont seem to enjoy that all that much. Having said that the 5 series saloon is very nice indeed and it has the comfort and style im looking for along with a lot more presence and aloofness at curb side.

A friend of mine (vdubpower), who is fat but its ok bc he's a Dr, who posts frequently on this forum kept bugging me about the C55amg, but I could not get over the chick car styling of the C-class. Without lowering, side skirts, and bigger wheels, the regular C class simply looks like a gazelle on stilts. But after test driving it, I was ready to sign on the dotted line. I like the car, but simply cant make terms with its styling. A good alternative is an E500, with a great motor and plenty of potential for styling upgrades. Its no AMG though. (I dont like getting used as my first real car purchase, but the previous CLK body style would have been the car to consider. The new CLK, chick car that it is, without 4 doors, is out of the question.)

Short of driving a civic until I can afford a SL500 or 911Turbo, I would appreciate some input. I'm sure this dillema has come up a million times with people on this forum. I want something classic, so dont tell me about EVO or STI or anything American. I'd like it to hold its value fairly well and be able to fetch a decent price as a private sell or trade-in when the budgy allows for SL500.

So I'm 28, navy doc, budgy around 50- 60k max. I like long walks on the beach, puppies, and cars that make everyone take notice. I drive slow, never will be a racer, but I like my car to look fast, sound fast, and go fast (not as much) in a straight line at least. If someone were to hold a gun to my head and force a decision, I would die an indecisive death. I'm stuck between new C55amg, E500 or E350, older 540i or new 545i. S4 is nice but overpriced for a VW.

Input appreciated.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
12' C63 P31, 06' Supercharged Range, 08' BMW 550i
It sounds like what you really want is a chick magnet, so if I were you I would go with a used Viper?

Since you don't really want to go fast but you want to look fast, if you really want a Mercedes you should just get a c230 sport and save 30k.

Last edited by dragonAMG; 07-11-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
2 cars

There is a C55K used that is for sale in the classified ... seems a great price.

Also in the CLK forum is a CLK55 2005 coupe that is brand new with 200 miles. Price is good but I bet you could get even more off of it. While I agree the current CLK seems pretty feminine at least the coupe isn't as bad as the convertible.

Of course the chick magnet would have to be a SLK55. heh heh
Old 07-11-2006, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Sorry.. I have to do it.. Your 2001 v6 mustang was a chick magnet? You must be hangin out in the boonies or at trailor parks.. LOL.. just a joke don't get offended..

Dude.. My C32 is older, but man does it pull the looks.. My buddy in AZ thought that C classes were girls cars until he saw mine. He was very impressed and it changed his opinion quickly.. For just a few g's and I will be smoking C55's with a stage 2 evo kit..

IMO the old CLK's are one of the ugliest Merc's made.. I think the new CLK coupes are bad ***.. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I like 4 doors..

My final input.. Get a used e55. You should be able to get a low milage 04-05 in the 50-60 k range. That is the mother load.. 5.4l with a Supercharger, totally luxury and super fast..
Old 07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
around 50- 60k max
adismo: with this kind of budget, C55 is a possibility.

Another to consider is E350 with AMG Sport package - E55 looks with easy on the gas budget 3.5L/7-sp. combo.

Give me a call I can demo them for you.

Thanks,
Old 07-11-2006, 06:41 PM

'05 C55 AMG
if i were to do it all over again, i'd probably save some money and get a used low mileage C55 and let someone else take the big depreciation hit. in fact, i'm not convinced that the C55 holds its value well considering the recent C55s I've seen on sale.

if you're dead set on getting something new, how about the new clk 550 which is almost as fast as the c55 and probably a bit cheaper?

i wouldn't say a c55 is a chick magnet. most girls can tell the difference between it and a regular c class. m3's are definately more recognized, expecially amoung the ladies...cuz they're everywhere!

btw, being a doctor is not a good excuse for being fat. doctors should know best the health consequences of being overweight.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by amgmark
Sorry.. I have to do it.. Your 2001 v6 mustang was a chick magnet? You must be hangin out in the boonies or at trailor parks.. LOL.. just a joke don't get offended..

Dude.. My C32 is older, but man does it pull the looks.. My buddy in AZ thought that C classes were girls cars until he saw mine. He was very impressed and it changed his opinion quickly.. For just a few g's and I will be smoking C55's with a stage 2 evo kit..

IMO the old CLK's are one of the ugliest Merc's made.. I think the new CLK coupes are bad ***.. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I like 4 doors..

My final input.. Get a used e55. You should be able to get a low milage 04-05 in the 50-60 k range. That is the mother load.. 5.4l with a Supercharger, totally luxury and super fast..
I'd give it a re-read. He was being sarcastic.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
HAHA fatty, u got ripped even before i had a chance too, Lol

yes his chick magnet mustang got totalled, by rear ending an ML. the ML didnt budge. anyways, i have been bugging him to drive AMG cars, but more specifically the E. Even if its not it the budgy its still an enjoyable drive.
Jigga man you should get an C55 if thats what u fancy now, so stop mucking about and do it.
also, since when did u start to talk with such articulation . quite impressed i am . anyways, im off, time to go put an IM rod in a femur or a plate on a tibia. have fun with the stds navy doc

oh yeah , i forgot to mention. he is a 28 yr old virgin

Last edited by vdubpower; 07-11-2006 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:41 PM

will decide after Iraq
i was being sarcastic about the Mustang. funny but i was driving past a Mercedes Dealership and ogling the new models when I plowed into what... a mercedes. a sign from above i say.

while i dont consider myself to be in the realm of noveau riche trashe (viper) nor that of a faux-ricer (M3), i do fancy a Kleeman kitted E55

Vdub, that while "helping" Eman through the purchase of the CLK, i realized i want a MB parked in the driveway for one reason only... I want to be happy with the car, not because its a ho-getter (as a 28yo virgin, its beyond help at this point), but because I respect the car and want something nice in life.

Vdub, Eman's potential CLK 430 is classic and if the dealer says its golden, its a good find.

the more i look around the more a CPO E350 or CLK with sport package is looking like the right thing to buy.

and another thing,... its been emotional.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:22 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
05 C55 go for less than $50k now. You can check them out or you can pick up a C32 for much less.

IMO the W208 CLK is a better buy than the W209 because it was built while MB is trying to re-establish the built quality. My sister's 2000 CLK320 only had 3 problems. One was the one-touch window not always working, power steering fluid leak due to dry bushing, and last one was the Crank position sensor. Other than that...the car never had any other problem. Minus the accident she put it through of course.

Last edited by FrankW; 07-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by adismo
i was being sarcastic about the Mustang. funny but i was driving past a Mercedes Dealership and ogling the new models when I plowed into what... a mercedes. a sign from above i say.

while i dont consider myself to be in the realm of noveau riche trashe (viper) nor that of a faux-ricer (M3), i do fancy a Kleeman kitted E55

Vdub, that while "helping" Eman through the purchase of the CLK, i realized i want a MB parked in the driveway for one reason only... I want to be happy with the car, not because its a ho-getter (as a 28yo virgin, its beyond help at this point), but because I respect the car and want something nice in life.

Vdub, Eman's potential CLK 430 is classic and if the dealer says its golden, its a good find.

the more i look around the more a CPO E350 or CLK with sport package is looking like the right thing to buy.

and another thing,... its been emotional.
that said... E55 all the way. I sold my Kleemann C55 and picked up a Kleemann E55. You'll be very happy with an E. Talk to Vadim -- he can hook you up with a great deal.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
I saw a nice E55 on the freeway, and I was like man, I wish that was mine.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 E63
Originally Posted by jgsx
I saw a nice E55 on the freeway, and I was like man, I wish that was mine.
sorry to be off-topic but "jgsx" u need to clear your pm
Old 07-12-2006, 10:54 AM

C70/C350
I am in a similar position and couldnt disagree more. I think BMWs are some of the worst cars made. If I wanted a car that everyone had I'd buy a Toyota since owning a BMW, even if they beat Benz performance, is like having a Toyota that you have to fix all the time.

I just turned 30 myself and wouldnt bother with an E55. Its bigger, worse handling, more expensive insurance by far, more expensive services and for what? 100 horses? Nah maybe if I was over 40 I might but what for; the C55 does everything the E55 does and is lighter. It commands more respect cause its a Benz which to me not sure about yourselves basically says - I like nice cars, but I dont have to rub it in your face like a Porsche or M series. People with M series always have custom plates. Thats indicative and they always say something kind of lame.

You can barely get head in a 911 much less take it for the weekend trip. No place to put your gf or wifes bag or your sandals, clubs, or chewing gum not to mention a Porsche is like sitting on the ground or sitting ina golf cart

My Benz dealer explained that the C55 is a 911 four door pretty much. My insurance on a C55 is 20 dollars more than on a Volvo R wagon. Thats cheap amigo. A 4Runner costs more on my insurance than a C55

My only concern is reliability. Benz has had some serious issues and the C class is light and I am wondering for those who live in areas where the roads are less than perfect how well will it hold up.

how much is the extended warrnty by the way??? anyone?
Old 07-12-2006, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by Z O O R O P A
I just turned 30 myself and wouldnt bother with an E55. Its bigger, worse handling, more expensive insurance by far, more expensive services and for what? 100 horses? Nah maybe if I was over 40 I might but what for; the C55 does everything the E55 does and is lighter.

You can barely get head in a 911 much less take it for the weekend trip. No place to put your gf or wifes bag or your sandals, clubs, or chewing gum not to mention a Porsche is like sitting on the ground or sitting ina golf cart

My Benz dealer explained that the C55 is a 911 four door pretty much.
As much as I love my C55, I don't quite agree with your assessment of the C55 in comparison to the E55 and 911.

The E55 blows the C55 away in terms of straightline acceleration. You're right in that the C55 probably handles much better than the E55. But the C55 is a smaller car with less interior room.

Also, I wouldn't go to say that the C55 is like a 911 with 4 doors. The 911 out accelerates and outhandles the C55 easily.

I would say it is more appropriate to consider the C55 to be equivalent to a 4 door M3 in terms of objective performance.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:54 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
I am in a similar position and couldnt disagree more. I think BMWs are some of the worst cars made. If I wanted a car that everyone had I'd buy a Toyota since owning a BMW, even if they beat Benz performance, is like having a Toyota that you have to fix all the time.

I just turned 30 myself and wouldnt bother with an E55. Its bigger, worse handling, more expensive insurance by far, more expensive services and for what? 100 horses? Nah maybe if I was over 40 I might but what for; the C55 does everything the E55 does and is lighter. It commands more respect cause its a Benz which to me not sure about yourselves basically says - I like nice cars, but I dont have to rub it in your face like a Porsche or M series. People with M series always have custom plates. Thats indicative and they always say something kind of lame.

My Benz dealer explained that the C55 is a 911 four door pretty much. My insurance on a C55 is 20 dollars more than on a Volvo R wagon. Thats cheap amigo. A 4Runner costs more on my insurance than a C55

My only concern is reliability. Benz has had some serious issues and the C class is light and I am wondering for those who live in areas where the roads are less than perfect how well will it hold up.

how much is the extended warrnty by the way??? anyone?
I added an additional 12 months ontop of the CPO warranty ($2,395). Not sure if my dealer was giving me BS about how they don't discount. This is also the price listed on MBUSA. AMG models warranties prices are more than regular models, as expected.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:04 PM

C70/C350
I quite agree. The C55 is not a 911 and that was not my description but the local dealers. In addition I quite agree that the C55 is not hte E55, but that is why I think its a better purchase. Because its half the cost, even ebay has usaed 04 E55s for like 60+k and for what was my point. Certainly its a slightly nicer car but with many draw backs. Yes the perfor4mance is bigger but noticably so for those who dont go to the track but jsut enjoy a race on the freeway or bumming around back roads?

I'm on the same page as you fellas here its just that if the E55 is gonna cost me another 20k in price for a sued one, then another 100 a month in insurance on top of more service costs just so I can fit another head banger in the back seat and have 100 extra ponies, I'll keep the 20K and the rest with a C55. It's like every time I see a Range Rover; they cost more than any other SUV except a H1 and a turbo Cayenne and are about the same in reliability.

""I don't mean to be telling tales out of school but there's a fella in there who will pay ya money to sing into his can!""
Old 07-12-2006, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

the C55 does everything the E55 does and is lighter.
WTF???

Don't think so buddy. LOL
Old 07-12-2006, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Well.. I personally like my c32 better than the C55.. The only reason i would buy a C55 would be to add a superchager, but it would be cheaper to buy a used one that already went thru this process.. There is a Kleeman C55 in the classifieds now..

The E55 is a freaking beast.. You can hammer the gas and just sit there spinning the wheels. It has over 500 torque!! That is what you feel, not the HP.. there is also the electronic suspension, ventalated seats, basically a big step up in luxury.. I would also assume that it's easier to upgrade compared to the C55 too..

After all this said.. I still want a CLS!!

Oh and Carl.. Thanks for the enlightenment I just wanted to bag on his car.. I ****ing loath mustangs..
Old 07-12-2006, 05:38 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by dragonAMG
WTF???

Don't think so buddy. LOL
lol...yea

that's like saying the E46 M3 does everything the E60 M5 does and being lighter, but the fact is if you put them on a track even tho the M5/E55 doesn't handle has well (or should I say they're just less agile) there's no way the M3/C55 can win until the bigger car's tire start to give out.

I'd take a E55 over my car or the C55 anyday!!
Old 07-12-2006, 06:16 PM

C70/C350
did you two leptons read the entire post or are a couple of noobs and just posted before you finished?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Yes, he's a 10,000+ post newbie
Old 07-12-2006, 06:42 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally Posted by jgsx
Yes, he's a 10,000+ post newbie
Old 07-12-2006, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS, SLK, ETC
I choosed C55 instead of M3 or a Viper. And I'm very happy with the car.
C55 has the power, look and the comfort of a luxury car. Car feels a little bit heavy but power / tq is great. Very fun to drive.

M3s are little more fun to drive. It has more sports car feeling to it when you drive it. But I don't think the car it self stands out like AMG C55s. You see many m3s on the road but not that many of AMGs (atleast around where I live)

Only downside of C55s or all the other MB cars I can think of would be the dealer maintenance fees. I just got a quote for Type B service from a local dealer and it was near $500 for some minor work... BMW / Audi offers free maitenance program. I don't see why MB wouldn't do that for owners.

but neway.. If I were you, i would wait till next year and get a new M3.. I will prolly trade mine in for a new m3s..

my 2cents

Last edited by Quicktwinturbo; 07-12-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:05 PM

will decide after Iraq
Originally Posted by amgmark
After all this said.. I still want a CLS!!

Oh and Carl.. Thanks for the enlightenment I just wanted to bag on his car.. I ****ing loath mustangs..
props for "bagging" on a V6 Mustang. Its like making fun of a retarted kid. 'SSAMMATA - WITH - YOU?

IMO, the CLS isnt a very good driver's car. Feels floaty, never sure of where the car really is, visibility suffers, but there's no problem with other people seeing you. E class drives much better and offers more space.

Thanks everyone for the input. I dont think I've narrowed it down too much, but I've got some time until unkle sam gives me that nice sign on bonus in ... say.. 2 months at best. I do think I will go for CPO C55amg or CLK w208amg when the time comes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: In market for a C55 (vs others ...)