C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

One way to best clean your K&N or Green Filters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c55
Originally Posted by pshek
Cleaning with just H20 will produce unsatisfactory results. Water and oil don't mix, that is why you must add a surfactant. That is why adding the bubbly mix from club soda/oxy clean acts as a detergent. If you're rich, you can always use the bubbly champagne. Also, cotton gauze filter recharge kits sold by K&N and Green all have 2 bottles, a bottle with cleaning agent, and a bottle to re-oil the filters. The sticky oil is what traps the dirt.
Thanks for your help. I was under the impression that I had to oil the filters and when the evosport rep told me otherwise, I was kind of confused. Then when he told me water alone would clean them, I began to second guess myself.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
I was trying my own method. Club soda is nothing more than H20 plus C02, and I had my doubts on how well soda pop is going to remove debris from the filters. An ultrasonic parts cleaner works without doubt since it is mechanically vibrating the debris out. They use ultrasonic cleaners to clean everything from jewelry to shaver blades. Regarding, effervescent soda pop, I'm still not sold on the idea since no one else has posted their results or findings. The club soda way is ONE way, not necessarily the BEST way to clean your filters. I showed my filters to other people and they thought it was brand new.
Where would one go to find an ultrasonic parts cleaner?
Old 11-01-2006, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
I usually clean the filters twice before i oil it. I also clean the airbox also. then after reoil I put it in front of the fan to blow of excess oil so it wont damage the MAF
Old 11-01-2006, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by advans
I usually clean the filters twice before i oil it. I also clean the airbox also. then after reoil I put it in front of the fan to blow of excess oil so it wont damage the MAF

How do you dry the filter once you clean it? I was thinking of putting mine in front of fan to dry it a little quicker.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
Try menthos & club soda.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by m444
Try menthos & club soda.
Do you mean Mentos - The Freshmaker....
Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
How do you dry the filter once you clean it? I was thinking of putting mine in front of fan to dry it a little quicker.
I usually hang it dry. and Fan it, make sure its a FAN not a heater, if its a heater your filter is...

Also, After I put the filters into the airbox and seal it, I have the fan blowing air thru the baffles to make sure no oil is stuck anywhere.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by advans
I usually hang it dry. and Fan it, make sure its a FAN not a heater, if its a heater your filter is...

Also, After I put the filters into the airbox and seal it, I have the fan blowing air thru the baffles to make sure no oil is stuck anywhere.

Yeah, just a regular ole box fan, thanks for the advice.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:58 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok, just wanted to give some feedback on this little trick...

tried this first...didn't work, didn't do anything...

so i went back and used the green filter cleaner, then the oxy clean and club soda mix, then the filter cleaner, then the oxy clean and club soda, and you get the picture...

after doing this back and forth 5 times and finally scrubbing out the remaining dirt with a tooth brush, my filters were finally clean...

next time, this is what i am going to do...

filter cleaner, scrub it, oxy clean-club soda, repeat as necessary...just my .02
Old 11-07-2006, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
ok, just wanted to give some feedback on this little trick...

tried this first...didn't work, didn't do anything...

so i went back and used the green filter cleaner, then the oxy clean and club soda mix, then the filter cleaner, then the oxy clean and club soda, and you get the picture...

after doing this back and forth 5 times and finally scrubbing out the remaining dirt with a tooth brush, my filters were finally clean...

next time, this is what i am going to do...

filter cleaner, scrub it, oxy clean-club soda, repeat as necessary...just my .02
Or, you can just place them into a large ultrasonic parts cleaner, turn it on, come back in an hour and BAM! they're clean. .......Club soda
Old 11-07-2006, 02:41 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or, you can just place them into a large ultrasonic parts cleaner, turn it on, come back in an hour and BAM! they're clean. .......Club soda

well, if i had one, i would...

what is the word on those headers?