C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

My warranty is almost up (shifting problem) beaten by a S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My warranty is almost up (shifting problem) beaten by a S4

I got a 2002 C32 and my warranty is about to run out. I just raced my two friends one with a 02 S4 auto with CHIP and 100 octane and a stock 05 S4 stick. My C32 is stock but I got 19s with 265 tires in the rear. But both cars took me. First off I was launching at like 2k is that too much or not enough? Second off my car felt slower then usual especially at 100MPH I got this strong knock from the tranny like it was downshifting and it was closing my throttle off (major loss of power). At worst I was taken by a car length is but I expected to take the 05 S4. Also while I am on the subject of my car feeling slower then usual. Just like the guy who posted the "Help - Transmission Problem (not jerk?)" I also have the same problem when I take my car on the freeway for a while and when I get off it jerks while shifting 1st-3rd grear. In the past something happened to my tranny that it wouldn’t shift out of first any relation? Like I said my warranty is about to run out in 6 months what parts should I get replaced while I have it?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by StrekerC32
I got a 2002 C32 and my warranty is about to run out. I just raced my two friends one with a 02 S4 auto with CHIP and 100 octane and a stock 05 S4 stick. My C32 is stock but I got 19s with 265 tires in the rear. But both cars took me. First off I was launching at like 2k is that too much or not enough? Second off my car felt slower then usual especially at 100MPH I got this strong knock from the tranny like it was downshifting and it was closing my throttle off (major loss of power). At worst I was taken by a car length is but I expected to take the 05 S4. Also while I am on the subject of my car feeling slower then usual. Just like the guy who posted the "Help - Transmission Problem (not jerk?)" I also have the same problem when I take my car on the freeway for a while and when I get off it jerks while shifting 1st-3rd grear. In the past something happened to my tranny that it wouldn’t shift out of first any relation? Like I said my warranty is about to run out in 6 months what parts should I get replaced while I have it?
If you can replicate the malfunction for the dealer (legally) then leave it to them to figure out what's wrong and what needs to be fixed. Suggest to the dealer that they look into coolant contamination of the tranny fluid - common issue.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
If you can replicate the malfunction for the dealer (legally) then leave it to them to figure out what's wrong and what needs to be fixed. Suggest to the dealer that they look into coolant contamination of the tranny fluid - common issue.
lol your telling I should not take the mechanic 100MPH? cuz then i dono how do i prove my point?
Old 09-18-2006, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
lol your telling I should not take the mechanic 100MPH? cuz then i dono how do i prove my point?
Good luck with that. If you don't have any symptoms at legal speeds, then ask the dealer tech what they normally do in a situation like this.

When you say you "launch at 2K" are you talking about a brake rev? If you're brake revving too hard, you're probably just burning up tires, as well as the transmission. A perfect start should be a 1/4 second tire squeal, then hookup. Big burnouts look cool, but slow you down.

Also, big wheels/tires add a lot of unsprung, rotational weight, which has beeen shown to slow cars significantly, particularly off the line. You'd be quicker with your original tires.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:29 PM

I couldnt ever connect with my old 245 the car would spin out even without reving it up while braking. Thats why I went wider.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:14 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
if the jerk you explained doesn't happened under normal conditon than your best bet will be your intercooler pump is failing/failed.

You do not have to replicate it while test driving it. simply ask them to run a check on the intercooler pump. If the intercooler pump completely fails when they run a voltage check they will come up with a fault.

once the intercooler pump is replaced the car will be good as new. A Chipped B5 S4 cannot run on pure 100 octane. Most likely he's on mix. You should not have any problem with the chipped B5 and the new B7.

I usually keep the launch rpm around 1500. all you want is to get rid of the initial throttle lag, but not over do it and cook your torque converter.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
I couldnt ever connect with my old 245 the car would spin out even without reving it up while braking. Thats why I went wider.
The extra weight is in going to 19" wheels versus 17" wheels. Adding width adds some weight, but mostly it's the wheel size that adds weight.