C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Supercharger silencer? Want more sound...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Supercharger silencer? Want more sound...

I heard somewhere there is some sort of a supercharger silencer that can be modded somehow to make a little more noise. Anyone heard of such a thing or know how to do it? I love the boosted mustang sound where you can hear the supercharger whine a little even at idle. Any guess on how to make the supercharger a bit louder without getting too rediculous?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55

drill 2 1/2 holes in the unit. on the other hand if you really want serious whine then get married.
The following users liked this post:
ThomasLarouche (01-29-2018)
Old 09-20-2006, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43
Originally Posted by AWDman

drill 2 1/2 holes in the unit. on the other hand if you really want serious whine then get married.

Bwaaaa...haaaaaaa...haaaa....
Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
HA! Ya, was married for 5 years...

Where exactly would one go about drilling these holes? Is there a pipe or something around there? I've poked around under the hood, but nothing obvious jumps out at me.

Last edited by SilverBulletAMG; 09-20-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
aw sorry was just kidding. put away the drill. i'm doing the full sl55 intake it may sound different but that's my only sensible suggestion.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
The drill is back in the holster.lol
I know there is a way to make it louder. I've watched a video on here that had different exhaust clips and at the end there were 2 different 32's with this "supercharger silencer" modified or removed and it sounded freakin MEAN! Can't find any details on it anywhere though....
Old 09-20-2006, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
I think prossi did the mod. I'm very interested too
Old 09-20-2006, 12:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Somewhere on the forums here is a diagram showing the s/c muffler - that compilation video was mine, I'm going to post it again tonight or tommorow. I'll see if I can find the post with the diagram as well - very detailed.

some info here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...harger+muffler
Old 09-20-2006, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Bif powell
Somewhere on the forums here is a diagram showing the s/c muffler - that compilation video was mine, I'm going to post it again tonight or tommorow. I'll see if I can find the post with the diagram as well - very detailed.

some info here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...harger+muffler
You'd be my hero Bif! Much appreciated!
Old 09-20-2006, 01:07 PM

'14 428i M-Sport, '02 C32 AMG
for some reason i think i remember the video showed a c230 1.8 kompressor that was making a lot of supercharger noise. the c230 kompressor is an eaton blower that's external compression, while the ihi twin-screw unit in the c32 is internal compression. perhaps this is why there is a difference in sound - assuming the one in the video was a c230 kompressor? to my knowledge, there is not a direct way to make the c32 supercharger noisier.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Adding a pulley kit makes the blower louder. The car will have that supercharged sound as it goes by at WOT with a pulley where stock it is very quiet.

The car will never wine at idle since the clutch is not engaged at idle. The clutsh is used to PREVENT any blower sound at idle as AMG though customers would want a quiet car at the stop light and better gas milage when driven slowly.

The airbox's from an SL55 really dont change the sound very much and maybe just make the intate a tad deeper or louder -- nothing with blower sound.

Maybe vadim could help you make the blower louder but i think its a lost cause. Just get a pulley kit and a ECU.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Adding a pulley kit makes the blower louder. The car will have that supercharged sound as it goes by at WOT with a pulley where stock it is very quiet.

The car will never wine at idle since the clutch is not engaged at idle. The clutsh is used to PREVENT any blower sound at idle as AMG though customers would want a quiet car at the stop light and better gas milage when driven slowly.

The airbox's from an SL55 really dont change the sound very much and maybe just make the intate a tad deeper or louder -- nothing with blower sound.

Maybe vadim could help you make the blower louder but i think its a lost cause. Just get a pulley kit and a ECU.
I totally forgot about the clutch on the supercharger. You're right...it's probably a lost cause. Also may be why the 230 is able to do it. I don't know for sure, but possibly there is no disengaging the clutch on the 230 kompressor?
Still open to any and all feedback or options. As with any mod we do, mileage gets thrown out the window. I would think there's a way to make the clutch engage all the time so the supercharge was always on. That could lead to some pretty technical crap though down the line if it was always on the boost. Over my head regardless.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:49 PM

For some reason, this thread reminds me of taping a playing card to my bicycle as a kid to get that cool noise...

Last edited by m3_eater; 09-20-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by m3_eater
For some reason, this thread reminds me of taping a playing card to my bicycle as a kid to get that cool noise...

LMAO! Good call. Maybe I could just record a mean GT and put it on disk. Then just blast it over the stereo while I'm driving...
You may be on to something there!haha
Old 09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Just get a pulley kit and a ECU.
I have a pulley kit and ECU, and I can BARELY hear my blower even with the windows down
Old 09-20-2006, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by jgsx
I have a pulley kit and ECU, and I can BARELY hear my blower even with the windows down
Its not going to sound like a military fighter from WWII but when I stand on the front straight at Willow Springs International Raceway and take pictures of SMG C32 go by in his RENNtech tuned C32 it sounds like a mix between a mustang with a blower and a cooper mini with a pulley kit when it goes wizzing by.

You can even hear the blower whine from hundreds of feet away to be honest.

In the car the blower is far louder than stock especially running through the top of second gear (any time the blower is spinning near max speed).
Old 09-20-2006, 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Are all twin screw blowers quiet?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:15 PM

c32, 190e 16v turbo
I do not believe the C32 has a muffler on the supercharger, the 230K does, the only thing i know of that i believe is done for noise reduction is the 2 inlets on the front of your airboxes you will notice that the "ram air" tubes go into a sort of "box" that is 2 pieces before going into the actual airbox itself. If you split the two haves you will find a series of chambers with holes in them i do think this is done to reduce noise since it actually looks like the inside of a resonator..minus the fiberglass. I filled all of the holes in mine. After doing this i did hear the supercharger more while on the throttle. I am currently working on removing both stock "ram air" inlets and installing the hoses fron the sl55. I do not want to install the complete 55 boxes because it doesent look right and i dont think there will be a significant gain, the 32 boxes are just as good if you remove the restrictions, for example the inlet tubes, filters, and splitter. the only thing the 55 boxes give you is is a little more filter surface and increased volume i do not think its worth the money.
At idle their is nothing you can do to increase the sound due to the clutch

Last edited by p rossi; 09-20-2006 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by p rossi
I do not believe the C32 has a muffler on the supercharger, the 230K does, the only thing i know of that i believe is done for noise reduction is the 2 inlets on the front of your airboxes you will notice that the "ram air" tubes go into a sort of "box" that is 2 pieces before going into the actual airbox itself. If you split the two haves you will find a series of chambers with holes in them i do think this is done to reduce noise since it actually looks like the inside of a resonator..minus the fiberglass. I filled all of the holes in mine. After doing this i did hear the supercharger more while on the throttle. I am currently working on removing both stock "ram air" inlets and installing the hoses fron the sl55. I do not want to install the complete 55 boxes because it doesent look right and i dont think there will be a significant gain, the 32 boxes are just as good if you remove the restrictions, for example the inlet tubes, filters, and splitter. the only thing the 55 boxes give you is is a little more filter surface and increased volume i do not think its worth the money.
At idle their is nothing you can do to increase the sound due to the clutch
Good info. I agree, I don't think that the SL55 boxes will make a significant differnce. I have all the other SL55 intake stuff. I'll take a peek for that intake silencer area. You might have to show me.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:25 PM

c32, 190e 16v turbo
Originally Posted by jgsx
Are all twin screw blowers quiet?
depends on what kind, aftermarket blowers are going to be louder than factory ones. it depends on the cut of the gears and the pitch of the screws i think.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by p rossi
the only thing i know of that i believe is done for noise reduction is the 2 inlets on the front of your airboxes you will notice that the "ram air" tubes go into a sort of "box" that is 2 pieces before going into the actual airbox itself. If you split the two haves you will find a series of chambers with holes in them i do think this is done to reduce noise since it actually looks like the inside of a resonator..minus the fiberglass. I filled all of the holes in mine.
I pulled the front part of the "ram air" off and I see the holes in the box you are talking about. On either side of the box there is a thing popping out. I cant seem to get it to pull apart though. How did you get it to split in half and how did you seal off the holes? Silicon or...?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 PM

c32, 190e 16v turbo
easiest way to do it is unscrew the airbox so you can remove the bottom half from the car. Once you have the airbox removed you will see 3 tabs on the "muffler" 2 on one side and 1 on the other. Carefully pry the tabs and split the two halves slowly working them apart until it seperates you will see 3 or 4 chambers/channels with a series of holes in each. once apart i dabbed a little silicone in each hole making sure it wasnt flowing through to the inside, just enough to plug it. once dried i wrapped the channels with black electrical tape, just enough to cover all the holes and make sure it was air tight and then reassembled
Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Thanks Rossie! Sounds like I have my next weekend project planned. I don't have the motivation after work...lol
Old 09-21-2006, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
05_c230 on these forums gave me a ride in his car. He's got eisenman exhaust and k&n air filter. You could definitely hear the supercharger when going WOT, it sounded pretty sick. My friend with a E55 got the evosport pulley kit and you can hear his s/c too.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Yai

with pulley upgrade, intake and exhaust should make the sc'er whine more as more air is being forced in. I have a 1.6L sc'er that has a roots type blower and after upgrading the pulley at higher boost and intake, header and exhaust
and throttle body it really whines.

Ron

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Supercharger silencer? Want more sound...