How to install the ipod kit into a c55 or w203 with Nav

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:05 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to install the ipod kit into a c55 or w203 with Nav

Ok so I just did the install. I got a quasi set of instructions with it, and found other instructions of the internet. I had to figure many things out however on my own and I figured I would share my knowledge and experience learned to make is super easy for anyone else. You should do this and save you dough!!

Here we go:

How to install the ipod kit in a c55/ other C with Command
First get the ipod kit. There is a guy who sells them on ebay cheaper than the dealer. I got mine that way for 279.
The kit should include a harness adapter, module, ipod cable, felt, Velcro ipod holder and screws.

Where to being:
Start by taking off the side cover to the glove box to expose the aux port. This just pulls right off and back towards the rear as there is a tab.
Now I had the aux plug already in there. I had to break the tabs enough so that I could push it back through the hole. I then put that cable in the hole where it is routed in the dash.
Insert the new ipod cable. Route it down on the side of the panel which you removed and then put back panel.
Remove the trim around the AC center vents. I did this by gently prying a butter knife around the trim until it popped off. Now you see the AC guts.
Now you need to rotate the vents up you do this by grabbing the center vertical tabs and pushing then in (they’re the black deals on the side of the vents) and push up the vents
Now you can see the two torx screws unscrew them. Make sure you feel when they’re unscrewed and stop there. there are retainers to keep the screws in place so they don’t drop into the space behind the nav. (btw I had this happened and I have a magnetic pickup tool sooo clutch)
Next, you can remove the switch panel. I don’t remember if there are screws I don’t think there are if there are unscrew them If not gently pull it out and set it to the drivers side- no need to unhook harness.

Now for the bottom part.
Remove the ashtray chrome part.
Now you will need to remove the shifter trim. Do this carefully so you don’t damage or mar the trim underneath. I used a nice micro fiber towel tripled up and then used my fingers and a small flat leather man screwdriver and it came off nice. Pull up and over the shifter.

Now you can lift up the front part that underlying trim piece. Do so by pulling up at the front. Then lift it forward to clear the back as it is tucked under the rear and clear the cup holder.

Now you can see two clips that you will need to release to get the ashtray out. Do so with the door open. Undue the clips and then slowly lift it out and rotating up and forward then out- watch the door DON”T MAR IT.

Next you will see 4 torx screws for the ac remove those and then take that out and put to driver’s side

You now see all 4 nav screws. Undue them and you can then slide the nav out after putting the shifter in D to give room.

Get a MF towel and balance it on the shifter.

Now you get to carefully flip up the main harness lock and pull it out. WATCH the fiber optic cables don’t bend them.

Now you need to pull out the fiber optic end by pushing in the tab and pulling it out. Note the slot. You then transfer it to the slot on the adapter.

Then you shove the adapter in the head unit make sure to setup the lock right or else it won’t go in. Make sure not to bend the fiber optic cables!!!!

Next, mate the harness to the adapter cable. Then route the ipod cable outside the side console to the floor shine a flashlight from the outside in and you’ll see the open area to do so. Now stuff the harness down where the AC control unit goes and slide the nav back in.

Screw the nav back in and reinstall all the center console components in reverse order.

Unscrew the lower kick panel on the passenger side by popping out the plug and unscrewing the torx.

Pull up the sill panel. Then look at the two tabs where the kick panel is held in by. Slowly pull at those spots to pop it out.

Now unscrew the bottom cover underneath the glove box- 2 torx screws – maybe three and remove that panel

Now get the control unit and wrap the felt around the unit widthwise at the internet cord type end.

Attach the internet style connection to the unit and the other harness from the adapter harness.

Now stick a Velcro end on one side of the unit.

Now look on the side where you removed the kick panel there is a nice spot to shove the unit it by the blower motor. See the metal bump? That’s where you shove the unit in and stick the Velcro on that bump and secure the unit. Now route the cable under the center console and up and around the blower wiring and then put the lower panel and kick panel back

VIOLAS attach the ipod and hit aux on the head unit and have fun 

Yes, now you owe SPR a beer, or your sister

Last edited by spr; 10-21-2006 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:37 PM

Thanks, very insightful. I am thinking about getting the Ipod kit shortly.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:58 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Also I just noticed some scratchiness in the highs today. WTF?? Is there an update on that for the command or module?

Also I just re-read the ipod kit manual, and it suggests to put the EQ to pop mode for the best sound quality. I am also going to set the output at normalizing or whatever that option is. I am going to try that after class.

S

Last edited by spr; 10-21-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
SPR

Great write up, how long did it take you to install the Ipod kit total? I bought the same kit off of EBay and the stealer wants to charge me 4.5 to 5 hrs to install it. The aftermarket guy said he couldn't do it and had to send it to the dealer. I'm not so handy at body panels et al. but may have to learn quick. Let me know.

Regards,
Old 11-18-2006, 03:08 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the cudos. It is definitely easy enough to do by yourself with my writeup. It should only take you 2 hours taking your time and being careful. Sean