Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:57 AM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey 1FASTC32:

I just wanted to ask you, since your posts are alwyas infoirmative

Did the spacers actually make ANY difference.

Since we have a MASSIVE heat builder, ie the blower PV=NRT to be exact, and the engine itself, these spacers really can't do a thing.
On a naturally aspirated motor, they can SLOW, and I emphasis SLOW, the rate of heat exchane between the motor and the upper intake. But even then they will reach equallibreium VERY soon.
I know its my engineering back ground thats says they can't help us, except on intial heat build up, that is once the engine is warm, its TOO late.

Please let me know as I trust your posts

Thanks in advance

See yeah
yes, i agree...they help to slow the process initially and they will help when it is cold out, but other than that, it is a lost cause...in my opinion, this is one of many things that you should do to combat the heat issue that these cars in particular are known for...

you can see all of things that i have done in my signature to combat the heat problem...on top of those things, i have also done the -10C fan mod and a colder thermostat...
Old 06-16-2007, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
[QUOTE=1FASTC32;2274020]yes, i agree...they help to slow the process initially and they will help when it is cold out, but other than that, it is a lost cause...in my opinion

Thanks 1FASTC32:

I always appreciate good sound, no advise.

I haven't had the chance to track mine for more than a few laps at a time, due to one reason or another, and haven't really seen any BAD heat soak. Except for when my I/C pump was going south on me. But that's another story.

Good luck, and thanks again for the FAST and knowledgeable info

Oh yeah, I flunked spelling asa kid

See yeah
Old 06-16-2007, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Phenolic is widely used as a thermal insulator in both military and commercial aerospace hot spots. It works.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by jgsx
Phenolic is widely used as a thermal insulator in both military and commercial aerospace hot spots. It works.
You are right Mr jgsx, Phenolic does work, when you are tring to insulate one side from the other.

The real question here is , which side of our motors are you are tring to protec?

The blower which operates at approxiametly 250 degree farenhiet under boost, or the motor at 192 due to the radiator? I know I am OVER simplifing this issue, but sooner or later Physics work. Just not to our adantage unfourtunitly. Opps, there is my poor spelling at work.

Just food for thought, don't want an argument here, just was curious about them on our cars.

Thanks for the info

See yeah
Old 06-17-2007, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK32
jgsx & 1FASTC32 I thought you guys had some warpage due to the use of the phenolic spacers. Is my memory correct?
Old 06-17-2007, 08:34 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by 430
jgsx & 1FASTC32 I thought you guys had some warpage due to the use of the phenolic spacers. Is my memory correct?
nope, that was jgsx and AMG-Jerry...i have never had any problems with them...
Old 06-18-2007, 02:12 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
nope, that was jgsx and AMG-Jerry...i have never had any problems with them...
There is no problem when they are on. Ever taken them off...?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
nah, i have installed mine multiple times and never used spacers and they are fine...the real trick to installing these is to tighten the 4 bolts directly over the spacers first, then just use the 2 outer bolts to keep a little pressure on the spacers....locktite is your friend for this install

just my .02

codesmith, here is my original post in this thread...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Sorry, I missed that. That makes sense, but it shouldnt work that way. Why not have even torque across all of those bolts...I am in the same boat as JGSX and Jerry.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by code3smith
Sorry, I missed that. That makes sense, but it shouldnt work that way. Why not have even torque across all of those bolts...I am in the same boat as JGSX and Jerry.
MB used gasket maker and solved my issue. Wish it would have never happened though...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:12 PM
SPONSOR

i am not using anything in that empty space for the outside bolts...all you want for those outside bolts is a little pressure to keep it sealed...

like Jerry said though, a little gasket maker can solve the problem as well...
Old 06-18-2007, 10:07 PM

C32 AMG
You would think that the damn manufacturer of the item would have addressed these questions? I've never dealt with them - but all this doubt makes me nervous about eversport ( ).
Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
It should have been done right. Put a spacer on the outside bolts which would allow for even torquing. I'm sorry, but this is a no-brainer...Just how much torque is it to "keep a little pressure" anyway? I get what you are saying, but thats not the point.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:42 AM
SPONSOR

It should have been done right. Put a spacer on the outside bolts which would allow for even torquing. I'm sorry, but this is a no-brainer...Just how much torque is it to "keep a little pressure" anyway? I get what you are saying, but thats not the point.

i hope you are not lecturing me...i am not the one having problems

i will measure it for you tomorrow...
Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Im not. I just checked this thread thinking I might have come across that way Its simple though. Phenolic is cheap. The cost to add two small washers that are the same size as the spacer is insignificant. This would eliminate any issues with uneven torquing. There is no way for you to measure if you have over or under torqued those outside bolts, and no way to tell if its even. Just because it doesnt leak doesnt mean anything.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:00 PM
SPONSOR

Im not. I just checked this thread thinking I might have come across that way Its simple though. Phenolic is cheap. The cost to add two small washers that are the same size as the spacer is insignificant. This would eliminate any issues with uneven torquing. There is no way for you to measure if you have over or under torqued those outside bolts, and no way to tell if its even. Just because it doesnt leak doesnt mean anything.

i agree that including a spacer is a no-brainer, why this was not done with the kit initially is beyond me...and you are right on measuring the torque, i could not get a reading because it is below the theshold of ft lbs...i would need to measure it in something like in lbs...

one thing to note though, if you look at how the 4 bolts sit on top of the phenolic spacer, that is where your main pressure needs to be...you could probably leave off the outside bolts (not that i would recommend this, but for sake of discussion) and it would still seal fine...

coming up with a spacer should not be all that hard though, it is just a trip to the local hardware store...