Evosport Phenolic Spacer Kit Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 12:17 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Evosport Phenolic Spacer Kit Install

I installed the kit this weekend and took some pics for everyone. If anyone is interested, I will do a write up. It took about an hour and was pretty easy to do. I did, however, manage to break my SL55 splitter in the process. I doubt anyone else will have that issue; I was just being a dumbass at the time.

The surge tanks were noticeably cooler!

Here are the pics.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
yeah - a write-up would be awesome - thanks for posting the photos!
that sucks about your Y-splitter - are you going to be able to repair it or is it a new one for you?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by boohooramblers
yeah - a write-up would be awesome - thanks for posting the photos!
that sucks about your Y-splitter - are you going to be able to repair it or is it a new one for you?

I used a hose clamp to secure the splitter on, so hopefully it's now fixed.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:48 PM
SPONSOR

nice job! i have got to get some time to fab up the intercooler mods, that would really keep things alot cooler, looking forward to some colder weather tonight...going to be out of town for the next 2 weeks though...oh well
Old 11-27-2006, 01:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
I installed the kit this weekend and took some pics for everyone. If anyone is interested, I will do a write up. It took about an hour and was pretty easy to do. I did, however, manage to break my SL55 splitter in the process. I doubt anyone else will have that issue; I was just being a dumbass at the time.

Here are the pics.

Hey Jerry what this mod do?
Old 11-27-2006, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
it keeps ur engine temp runnin abit lower
Old 11-27-2006, 07:04 AM

W221
Nice Job!

Here are the pics.
You, guys, working on your cars are so cool, I wouldn't even know where to start! For me the engine bay area is a SACRED place as pretty much the rest of the car, although I did manage to check tyre pressure a couple of times without breaking anything
We should do another Chicago meet next spring and this time maybe a nice drive together (just need to work on the route - with less cops and more open space )
Old 11-27-2006, 08:31 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by eugeneC55
You, guys, working on your cars are so cool, I wouldn't even know where to start! For me the engine bay area is a SACRED place as pretty much the rest of the car, although I did manage to check tyre pressure a couple of times without breaking anything
We should do another Chicago meet next spring and this time maybe a nice drive together (just need to work on the route - with less cops and more open space )
Sounds good to me, Eugene! How is that beast running? Done anything to it since the last time we met?
Old 11-27-2006, 09:25 AM

W221
It's running strong, getting close to 50K miles mark! No mods since our last meet, just several oil changes and another set of tires I'm probably going to keep this car for a while now, since miles are getting so high and I'd get killed on a trade-in so you'd think it's a good time to start modding...well, there's always 'something else' that needs to be done so nothing for now. I'd love to supercharge it and came really close to it but have to put it on hold for now.
Your car looks awesome, I see you make new mods and new pics all the time, enjoy! I'd love to test drive one day to feel that supercharger noise!
Take Care!
Eugene
Old 11-27-2006, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by eugeneC55
It's running strong, getting close to 50K miles mark! No mods since our last meet, just several oil changes and another set of tires I'm probably going to keep this car for a while now, since miles are getting so high and I'd get killed on a trade-in so you'd think it's a good time to start modding...well, there's always 'something else' that needs to be done so nothing for now. I'd love to supercharge it and came really close to it but have to put it on hold for now.
Your car looks awesome, I see you make new mods and new pics all the time, enjoy! I'd love to test drive one day to feel that supercharger noise!
Take Care!
Eugene
Hey Eugene. Nice to see you're still enjoying the 55. We should def do another meet

Joe
Old 11-27-2006, 07:21 PM

W221
Originally Posted by jgsx
Hey Eugene. Nice to see you're still enjoying the 55. We should def do another meet

Joe
Hey Joe, nice to hear from you! Read about your little dance with 911 recently, glad that guy was cool. A couple of weeks ago I had some jrk in spanking new silver 997 TT cutting ppl in Highland Park all the way from my place to the exit on the freeway. By the time we got to the freeway he was about half a mile ahead of me. I don't know why but I wished so badly I could teach him some manners (I know it's a waste of time usually!). To my surprise I catch up to him in about 2 mins. As soon as got behind him he punched it. I couldn't believe my luck! I was surprised to match his pulls (all in morning traffic, no big oppenings). Around Tower rd he went all the way to the right and I passed him on the left lane - arrogant looking dude in his 50s, doesn't even know how to drive his car, worthless poser not worthy that beautiful car of his. Anyhow, just thought I'll share with you my own little dance with 997. I know I don't have a chance against it but to see the look on the face of that SOB when I was passing him - PRICELESS! I had a big grin on my face all the way to the work
Old 11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
From Lake Cook onto 53 to the a little past the Schaumberg area, there are very few cops...at least from my experience.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
thanks! if you guys organize a meet i am in as long as family constraints stop me.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:05 AM

C32
Hey Jerry, any chance you still have these pics .... and any other info about the install...... I am about to do a phenolic spacer/green filter/SL55 splitter install.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 AM

Location: dayton ohio hopefully it will be some place warm and sunny when i finish med school
2002 C32 AMG silver & 2003 Lancer Evolution 8 black very moded
pictures aren't working ????
Old 04-23-2007, 09:03 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by steve_bris
Hey Jerry, any chance you still have these pics .... and any other info about the install...... I am about to do a phenolic spacer/green filter/SL55 splitter install.

Thanks

Yes, the pics are still there. I changed web hosts and now I'm on a Linux box and everything is case sensitive.

Here are the pics...
Old 04-23-2007, 09:06 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Also, the pics are not the best guide to use when installing the spacers. The install is very easy and shouldn't take any time at all. Make sure that you have a few washers on hand to use on the studs that are outside the fuel rail. Also make sure you have a Torx bit set handy.....
Old 04-23-2007, 09:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember to use new gaskets, one on each side of the spacer.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Also, the pics are not the best guide to use when installing the spacers. The install is very easy and shouldn't take any time at all. Make sure that you have a few washers on hand to use on the studs that are outside the fuel rail. Also make sure you have a Torx bit set handy.....
Evosport should include the required spacers for the studs, and they should be made out phenolic. Metal washers expand at a different rate than phenolic.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:08 AM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by smgC32
Remember to use new gaskets, one on each side of the spacer.
It should come with gaskets unless you bought it used.

Evosport should include the required spacers for the studs, and they should be made out phenolic. Metal washers expand at a different rate than phenolic.
Yeah, they should.....
Old 04-23-2007, 05:47 PM

C32
Thanks for the info.

The gaskets came in the set...... and I am not to sure about the spacers, are they in the pics, if not what size are required ? ..... so you just start at the engine covers and works you way down to the spacers , there are no tricky bits ?
Old 06-15-2007, 10:55 PM

Not an AMG :(
Sorry to bring this thread alive again (seeing its about the easiest mod one can do!). A quick question before I install my phenolic spacers:
On the issue of the lack of spacers for the studs on the far side of the fuel rail, do you think it would be acceptable to double up some intake manifold gasket material and use that instead of washers? I got a hold of such gasket material and it is 1/16" thick. The phenolic spacers are 1/8" thick so I figured that I could cut some out, drill holes for the bolts, and put them on top of each other instead of using a metal washer. Wouldn't the thermal properties of the gasket material be similar to the phenolic spacers?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Do not install them without spacing out the bolts on the outside...

Contact me boohooramblers.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:31 AM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by code3smith
Do not install them without spacing out the bolts on the outside...

Contact me boohooramblers.
nah, i have installed mine multiple times and never used spacers and they are fine...the real trick to installing these is to tighten the 4 bolts directly over the spacers first, then just use the 2 outer bolts to keep a little pressure on the spacers....locktite is your friend for this install

just my .02
Old 06-16-2007, 08:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
nah, i have installed mine multiple times and never used spacers and they are fine...the real trick to installing these is to tighten the 4 bolts directly over the spacers first, then just use the 2 outer bolts to keep a little pressure on the spacers....locktite is your friend for this install

just my .02
Hey 1FASTC32:

I just wanted to ask you, since your posts are alwyas infoirmative

Did the spacers actually make ANY difference.

Since we have a MASSIVE heat builder, ie the blower PV=NRT to be exact, and the engine itself, these spacers really can't do a thing.
On a naturally aspirated motor, they can SLOW, and I emphasis SLOW, the rate of heat exchane between the motor and the upper intake. But even then they will reach equallibreium VERY soon.
I know its my engineering back ground thats says they can't help us, except on intial heat build up, that is once the engine is warm, its TOO late.

Please let me know as I trust your posts

Thanks in advance

See yeah

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evosport Phenolic Spacer Kit Install