C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Brake cooling ducts -- did some exploring today.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
Brake cooling ducts -- did some exploring today.

I decided to see what kind of airflow could be had via the fog light openings. Looking through the screen it looked like there were plastic panels blocking the area around the fog lamp. I took off the grill and realized that the plastic panels were the fog lamp housing -- it basically fills the whole opening. So, to actually use that area as an air inlet, you would need to take out the fog lamps.

But it you're willing to do that, it's pretty much a straight shot to the front wheel wells (you'd need to cut an opening an channel the air into the wheel well.

So, as a follow up to all the brake talk, it seems to me that this would be a logical next step for us track junkies.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:41 PM

I have been very interested in this myself. This is probably the best bang for the buck you will get with respect to improving braking performance. Keep us posted. Also, I would check with motorsport places that specialize on track stuff, I'm sure they would be helpful in finding a solution.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
I'm going to make my own CF brake cooling ducts. In addition to the front bumper ducts, I also need to make a duct that attaches to the spindles. 2002-2003 Coupe only. There should be enough room for a 2-3" duct next to the fogs. Should be similar to the ones on the E46 M3.

Not much else CF to add to the list since I've already bought a CF hood, grill, front and rear lip spoilers, engine airbox, and interior trim now. My CF guy also has a mold of a racing seat, so I was toying with the idea of making my own CF race seats and using the existing brackets from my manual seats.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
interesting idea, but there's a washer fluid tank behind the bumper/foglights on the driver side. the passenger side is duable which you can just take out the foglights and attach a hose of some sort to channel the air directly to the brakes.

I'd say overall it's not going to make much difference.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:11 PM
ON PROBATION

Didn't I already post on this -- or are we doing the multiple threads thing again....

Autospezialteile Bonrath has been making precisely these for years - and they're a very good, clean system.

Sounds like you have come to the same conclusion as to method -- I think you should check out Bonrath and see what they have to offer you in the way of specific fitments, parts, materials, or methodology.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Didn't I already post on this -- or are we doing the multiple threads thing again....

Autospezialteile Bonrath has been making precisely these for years - and they're a very good, clean system.

Sounds like you have come to the same conclusion as to method -- I think you should check out Bonrath and see what they have to offer you in the way of specific fitments, parts, materials, or methodology.
I checked out bonrath, all VW parts. Good ideas though. Nobody makes these for the W203, so it will have to be custom. In terms of methodology, all it takes is air ducts fabricated out of fiberglass/carbon fiber to attach to the bumper, an adapter to bolt onto the spindle (made out of carbon fiber, fiberglass, or sheet metal) and 2.5" flex hose. BSR carries ducts and spindle adapters.

FrankW,

I know about the washer fluid tank and the fog housings. There is more room in the coupe bumper than the AMG bumper, so there is no need to remove the fog housings just to place a small duct and hose.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:27 AM
ON PROBATION

Good stuff, pshek - just didn't want you to miss out on the potential of gaining anything in your quest by what these guys have been doing for quite awhile.

If it helped at all, cool.

I used their stuff on a turbo'd car that just produced too much heat and needed additional airflow for cooling/venting. Also hooked up cool air intake for the turbo at the same time with their stuff - and it worked very well....