C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

track advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG 2002
yeah Via Sforza and Cantina Sforza... Thanks for the kind words!
Old 11-21-2006, 06:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
The above advice is spot-on:

1) Change/flush brake fluid before going to the event. Use a good high-temperature fluid, and stay away from DOT5 fluids, as they are incompatible with DOT 3/4. This is necessary, as brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water), and any water in the fluid reduces the boiling point of the fluid.

A good, cheap, brake fluid is Ford High-Temp. Truck fluid that they use in their Super-Duty trucks.

Motul also makes a good DOT 3/4.

Brake pads from Porterfield, Performance Friction, Hawk, etc. will increase your enjoyment on-track, as they are far more linear at high temperatures, and typically won't 'chunk' if you overheat them (as Semi-Mets will).

If you're heating up the brakes enough to turn the caliper color dark, then you may end up boiling the fluid in the caliper - requiring bleeding out the air (created by the boiling) between sessions.

Be certain to bring a full container to the track.

2) Carry an extra set of brake pads at a minimum. When I was racing my Acura, I would carry 2 sets of Pads and 2 sets of rotors (in addition to what's on the car). It's never a good day if you have to call it quits because of a warped rotor (which can be changed easily in 30 minutes between sessions).

If you're friendly with the MB Dealer, he may let you return the rotors if they're unused after the weekend.

3) If you are looking for a good track tire with a hard side-wall (better response, less roll-over), look into the BFGoodrich G-Force KD. BFG has a stiffer sidewall than most others. This makes for a harsher ride, but better control at speed. (You can place the car far more precisely at turn-in, apex, track-out)

4) Remove any/all loose items & extra weight from trunk. This means: floormats, carpet in trunk, spare tire, jack, tools, etc.

5) Check fluids & tire condition (each individual tire) after each session.

6) Keep hydrated (deliberately drink fluids between sessions), as your reaction time slows as you dehydrate.

7) Have fun & be sure to share the pics/videos when you get back.
Old 12-21-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
Anucci, sforza...any interest ?
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c55-amg-w203/175014-dyno-day-ct.html
Old 12-22-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 c55
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Mercedes Club SPONSORS track events, so I seriously doubt that they would deny a warranty claim for brakes just because they have seen track use.

I've got 4 track days on my calipers and so far no yellowing.
I remember seeing a car for sale (not sure if it was this forum or not) with gold calipers. The seller used the gold calipers as a selling point. I think the outside of the car looked really good. Body kit, nice wheels, etc. He got flamed by the other posters on the calipers though.