C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

US vs Canada Car prices

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
what is so exciting about vancouver, I think it is pretty lousy myself.

Terrible nightlife
Raining all the time
Stuck up women
Awful highway systems
It is in Canada
Old 12-05-2006, 06:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
youre right it is pretty lousy, it's a beautiful city, it was the politics i could not stand
Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG - in Pewter
You are killing yourself man... If so unhappy in Canada, put a plan in place, and move. There are a few legal ways.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

C-coupe in 2002 was:

$26K USD @ $1.57 CND/USD = $40.8K CND
$34K CND

C-coupe in 2006 would be:

$26K USD @ $1.14 CND/USD = $29.6K CND

Its hard to say Canadians pay more for cars, cause for a LONG time were were actually paying less. The reason is our economy is doing well and the US economy is in the ****ter.

So short-sighted its cheaper to buy a car and house in the US due to exchange rates and low interest rates - yet investment rates have plunged and it makes more sense to hold foriegn investments, taking money away from an already down economy.

I would've thought those that could afford a C55 would know a little bit more about economics.

All that said, our lawyer at work imported a 350Z from Texas where they sell for cheap (Texans like trucks, not hatchback sports cars) and saved $18K CND and only required the dealer to install the DRL module.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mbenzman
Maybe they just see it as a profit vs. quantity thing. They don't sell as many cars, so they have to make more on each to make a similar profit quota.
Maybe they are trying to suck the last bit of money out of Canada before it collapses from ultrataxation. $100K Candian won't go far after taxes unless you reside on a Indian reserve.
I'd tell you to leave but where would you go? The U.S. (government) doesn't want you high priced Canuuks, they just want the cheap labor from Mexico, illegal aliens and products from our transplanted factorys. We let our companies outsource everthing from drive thrus to technical engineering jobs to India and Walmart has helped put the last U.S. tv manfacturer under.
So, maybe the quest for low prices in America caused them to sell for less here, but it will completely kill our economy.
Read my post above, cars used to be cheaper in Canada, its only the last few years the trend has reversed.

US companies want Canadian workers. Look at the number of manufacturing plants and tech support centres moving here recently.

We have national health care, which GM lists as one of their biggest expenses when providing benefits to unionized American workers. Reducing this expense by relocating to countries with national health care seems to be a trend amoung big business - with HP tech support now going to Costa Rica for much the same reason.

Luxuries are cheaper in the US (TVs, Cars, ...) and encourages Americans to save a lot to buy a few things, often manufactured overseas. This is the opposite apporach to the European model which makes luxuries almost unaffordable so people spend their money day-to-day thus encouraging them to shop at small shops, not Walmart, since they don't need the best deal possible to save that $1 they'll spend a few more bucks out drinking and eating which puts money intheir own economy, not some overseas manufacturer.
Old 12-05-2006, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by Kar don
what is so exciting about vancouver, I think it is pretty lousy myself.

Terrible nightlife
Raining all the time
Stuck up women
Awful highway systems
It is in Canada
I guess I’ve always been a bore. The rain makes me happy. I like it when women treat me like trash. The traffic doesn’t get me down and I am Canadian!

Sorry, I would take hockey and beautiful women over football and fat chicks that are beautiful on the inside any day. (I’m being sarcastic of course).

You should move then bro, to a much better place down south
Old 12-05-2006, 02:47 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by C230SportsCoupe
Read my post above, cars used to be cheaper in Canada, its only the last few years the trend has reversed.

US companies want Canadian workers. Look at the number of manufacturing plants and tech support centres moving here recently.

We have national health care, which GM lists as one of their biggest expenses when providing benefits to unionized American workers. Reducing this expense by relocating to countries with national health care seems to be a trend amoung big business - with HP tech support now going to Costa Rica for much the same reason.

Luxuries are cheaper in the US (TVs, Cars, ...) and encourages Americans to save a lot to buy a few things, often manufactured overseas. This is the opposite apporach to the European model which makes luxuries almost unaffordable so people spend their money day-to-day thus encouraging them to shop at small shops, not Walmart, since they don't need the best deal possible to save that $1 they'll spend a few more bucks out drinking and eating which puts money intheir own economy, not some overseas manufacturer.
What would they want Canadian workers for? To work at SHUT DOWN GM plants? Yes, health care prices do affect decisions of companies, but I said " The U.S. (government) doesn't want you high priced Canuuks, they just want the cheap labor from Mexico, illegal aliens and products from our transplanted factorys. We let our companies outsource everthing from drive thrus to technical engineering jobs to India and Walmart has helped put the last U.S. tv manfacturer under." Not U.S. Companies.
Every U.S. company is looking at whether or not they would put more money in their own pockets, not how to pay people here or in Canada more. They make their decisions accordingly. G.M. and Ford have and will open more Mexican plants to replace the one they shut down here and watch them shut down their Canadian plants when import tariffs don't make it cost prohibitive.
I grew up in Canada and have friends and family there. I also work in the automotive buisness and have friends and family involved in the buisness as a whole.
Watch all the support jobs dry up here as more American plants shut down causing a trickle down effect. For instance, A couple of friends work for a belt supplier to Ford. Their company is goig to shut their place down as soon as the plant in Mexico by the new Ford plant is up and running.
They announce their plant shut downs but don't want to tell you that they are just outsourcing by opening new plants elsewhere. And their support companies have to go too, or they lose the buisness.
I was just being funny, but I'm not ignorant. And health care among many other things in Canada sucks!
Rich
Old 12-05-2006, 03:28 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Speaking of automotive indistry. Have you asked yourself why GM and Ford are closing or moving out while Honda and Toyota are actually opening (or at least not closing) their factories in the US and Canada? The word is "unions" This time I am with the corporations as they spend their profits on hefty pensions, etc. and not investing enough in innovation (and perhaps quality control). As a result, people here are buying Japanese more and more, forcing GM and Ford to cut costs where they can to counter decreased sales. Not good for us, no question...

There are things that suck everywhere, just different things...

Last edited by gkstar; 12-05-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
excites your girlfriend
Honda and Toyota cars suck less than GM and Ford cars. Domestic cars are the cheapest quality, most awfully designed, horribly underpowered, completely lacking of style, did i mention worst build quality and unreliable? (Excluding cars from China and Russia of course.)
Old 12-05-2006, 10:42 PM

c32 AMG
Great Topic

First I am a canuck and just got a c32 from the States. Let me tell you in the end it is soo worth it.. First to import, yes there are a few regulations and modifications to make.. but if u do your research u can swing around that and save some good coin..

For example: MB was telling me I HAD to change my speedometer to the KM version and change my lights to a running daylight system. I called up the fedeal government and said I had all these options on my car which I could just adjust.. SAVED 2k. MB management has turned into **** and very greedy....Unfortunatly I had to change the padding within the bumpers and even than they did not change the back one cause they were having a hell of a time. BUT they still signed the papers to pass the safety standards..HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

If u want to import a car from the States.. u need to do your research. Some cars u save big and some not so big savings.. However its also important where u get your car from places where they don't use salt or get snow. This is a bonus for us canadians. I also found american cars for the same price in Cand $ had much lower miles. Like 30-40 thousand miles less.

-2002 c32 AMG
-27 000 miles
-Rare Tectite Grey ($1200 option)
-H and R springs lowered
-illuminated AMG door sils... very cool
-Extra set of AMG rims and tires
-Plus little extras like oil filters etc..
-4 year extended warranty. I live close to the border so i get my stuff done in Buffalo.
-From Cali.. ie no salt or snow drivin
=
ONE kick *** ride..
Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 PM

c32 AMG
One more thing

Yes one if the main reasons that GM and Ford are falling is Unions.. BUt the quality of their products have been poor for a while where as the asian counterparts are kicking their asses in longevity..

Oh and we all know MB is owned by chrysler..I just hope Chrysler keeps the two seperate because when I think of chrysler.. I think of GM and Ford..
Old 12-05-2006, 10:51 PM

c32 AMG
Tectite Grey pic

Sorry forgot to put up a pic of my car..

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....6&postcount=25
Old 12-06-2006, 12:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
@Tectite.Metal,

mind if i asked you how much you paid for it?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by gkstar
Speaking of automotive indistry. Have you asked yourself why GM and Ford are closing or moving out while Honda and Toyota are actually opening (or at least not closing) their factories in the US and Canada? The word is "unions" This time I am with the corporations as they spend their profits on hefty pensions, etc. and not investing enough in innovation (and perhaps quality control). As a result, people here are buying Japanese more and more, forcing GM and Ford to cut costs where they can to counter decreased sales. Not good for us, no question...

There are things that suck everywhere, just different things...
Mercedes built a plant in Alabama because they were given a 100 year NO tax deal. This was very wise on the part of Alabama because of all the jobs it created for them. And all the factory support companys(there are A LOT of them) have built up around the M.B. plant without tax incentives and created more jobs.
I don't believe they're unionized and I agree with you on your points. The imports have to pay tariffs and are required to have a percentage of U.S. sourced parts in their cars, but are tariff free when built here. That probably helps offset the percentages of their imported models as well. A numbers game if you will.
I miss a lot of things in Canada and would prefer to raise my kids there. I was talking with the wife about spending Christmas with my brother in N.S..
I miss the liquor filled chocolates at Christmas there too! It doesn't feel like X-mas without snow. Maybe it's what you used to.
Rich
Old 12-06-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Originally Posted by 14cue
well, the video explains it all, no?
in the UK you guys make like a billion euros per hour! LOL
your cost of living is ovbviously higher but your salaries are too. i think we need to remember that we are comparing Canada and the US. to throw in oversea countries isnt really fair. but i hear ya, it's retarded what some countries pay for the same metal.
I appreciate that the comparison here is Canadian and US prices, and has been suggested it pretty much comes down to the manufacturers charging as much as the market will sustain - this is equally true for any market, not just North American neighbours.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 C32 AMG, 2003 ML270 CDi
Originally Posted by Bobby Dazzler
it pretty much comes down to the manufacturers charging as much as the market will sustain
I'm intrigued by all this. Some comments regarding the percived higher income in the UK and other non-US countries led me to do a little research - I often wondered what the average UK salary was, and now I know:

UK Average Salary

National: £23,244 GBP (or $45,916 USD)

London only: £29,744 GBP (or $58,760USD)

UK Average House Price

National: £179,000 GBP (or $353,632 USD)

London only: £269,000 GBP (or $531,436 USD)

US Average Salary

National: $39,795

US Average House Price

National: $302,600 USD

So...

Both national average salary and national average house price is approximately 15% higher in UK than US - incredibley how the two seem so closely linked.

However, most things that cost $1 USD cost £1 GBP in the UK - cars included, so the cost of the a new car is approximately 100% higher!!

Still not to worry, sounds like Finland is seriously expensive!!