C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Its been a long time- Got my C55 yee ha

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C55
Its been a long time- Got my C55 yee ha

Hi to the MBworld gang. I left the MB circle a few years ago and went to an M# for a few years. Happy to report that I just picked up a new C55 (White/Black) prior to Thanksgiving and I still have a grin. Love this car and the V8 is perfect.

One question for the suspension experts. Understeer is a bit more than I expeceted.
I was looking into the front and rear track and noticed the front is wider by 29mm.
Could I reduce the understeer if I got the front and rear track a bit closer to each other?
I've been playing with air pressures and that helps, but its still there.
I am also considering going with 235/18s in front and 265/18s in back (more for the traction and looks then the latter, but **** the wheel wells need to get filled up and I cant deal with a slammed car as a daily driver.

OK , great to be back and if you have any suggestions on the understeer I'm all ears.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
Originally Posted by MERCGUY
Hi to the MBworld gang. I left the MB circle a few years ago and went to an M# for a few years. Happy to report that I just picked up a new C55 (White/Black) prior to Thanksgiving and I still have a grin. Love this car and the V8 is perfect.

One question for the suspension experts. Understeer is a bit more than I expeceted.
I was looking into the front and rear track and noticed the front is wider by 29mm.
Could I reduce the understeer if I got the front and rear track a bit closer to each other?
I've been playing with air pressures and that helps, but its still there.
I am also considering going with 235/18s in front and 265/18s in back (more for the traction and looks then the latter, but **** the wheel wells need to get filled up and I cant deal with a slammed car as a daily driver.

OK , great to be back and if you have any suggestions on the understeer I'm all ears.
coming from a nearly 50:50 weight distrubted bimmer, understeer is a must in a benz. lol

IF you owned a non amg w203, I would suggest you to go amg sways. but you already have a AMG (BTW! welcome back to mbworld!)

TRY looking into aftermarket sways like h&r eibach, etc, and maybe lowering your car can help.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:44 PM

C55
yea lol I went from 50/50 to what seems like 70/30. I do know that the perfromance increase is well worth the understeer. This car could be soooo much more of a monster in the twisties if, well you know. Maybe I lower it a tad, but sway bars might be the 1st place I start. Tjanks for the reply, its good to be back.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55AMG W203; 330i E90
Congrats to your new ride. Late is better than never.
Trust me, don't fckit up with any aftermarkets mods until you have got to know the car's full potential better. I would just play with tire pressures and do nothing for this moment.
A Stock C55 is a jewel from the AMG engineers on its own kind.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congrats Trevor.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Stage 2 C7 A6, QX60
yea lol I went from 50/50 to what seems like 70/30. I do know that the perfromance increase is well worth the understeer. This car could be soooo much more of a monster in the twisties if, well you know. Maybe I lower it a tad, but sway bars might be the 1st place I start. Tjanks for the reply, its good to be back.
performance increase
what m did you have
the e36 m3 or the old m coupe??
Old 12-08-2006, 10:00 AM

C55
I had two E46 M3's. An open top, rattle trap and then went to the coupe.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:26 PM

I had two E46 M3's. An open top, rattle trap and then went to the coupe.
What brought you back from an E46 M3 coupe to the AMG camp? As an enthusiast and owner or former owner of both makes, I'm always curious...
Old 12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG

Nobody's found the cure. You can go with bigger rubber (but if you make the rears bigger, you'll just re-create the problem). I have 245s all around. You can try a bigger rear stab bar, but it appears that there is nothing big enough to correct it. Odd because I've owned Audis that had much worse weight distribution, yet less understeer. It's probably the front suspension geometry, and there's no cheap fix.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:30 PM

C55
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
Nobody's found the cure. You can go with bigger rubber (but if you make the rears bigger, you'll just re-create the problem). I have 245s all around. You can try a bigger rear stab bar, but it appears that there is nothing big enough to correct it. Odd because I've owned Audis that had much worse weight distribution, yet less understeer. It's probably the front suspension geometry, and there's no cheap fix.
Ok dirty little secret, I've had 2 M3's and just dumped an 04 S4. So you are right on and I KNOW exactly what your saying on the awd audi observation.

The other answer on why I left the M3 camp and did not go back was simply, 'been there done that' and frankly theres nothing else in my book that compares to these (m3,s4,c55) vehicles. The E55 is tooo big for my taste and I'd wreck it trying to make it do what the S4, M3 and C5 can all do. With the latter screaming like a school girl...which come hell or high water I will resolve to some degree.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Ok dirty little secret, I've had 2 M3's and just dumped an 04 S4. So you are right on and I KNOW exactly what your saying on the awd audi observation.

The other answer on why I left the M3 camp and did not go back was simply, 'been there done that' and frankly theres nothing else in my book that compares to these (m3,s4,c55) vehicles. The E55 is tooo big for my taste and I'd wreck it trying to make it do what the S4, M3 and C5 can all do. With the latter screaming like a school girl...which come hell or high water I will resolve to some degree.

Start with the tires. I switched from staggered to non-staggered and understeer was definitely reduced. (I'm basing this on actual track experience.)
Old 12-08-2006, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
The E55 is tooo big for my taste and I'd wreck it trying to make it do what the S4, M3 and C5 can all do. With the latter screaming like a school girl...which come hell or high water I will resolve to some degree.
You'd be surprised. While the E55 is bigger than the C-Class/3-Series/A4 cars, they actually offer better handling. But I do get what you mean, because I feel like the C/3/A4 type cars are the perfect size for me (for now). Whereas the E is a little big, but don't underestimate the handling - it's not 'big and boaty' at all.

MERCGUY - Welcome back! Post pics of your new acquisition

Tee_Tz.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:22 PM

W221
MERCGUY, welcome to the AMG and MBWorld! Enjoy your car, I still have a grin on my face after 50K miles and falling in love with it every day all over again!
Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Originally Posted by tee_tz
You'd be surprised. While the E55 is bigger than the C-Class/3-Series/A4 cars, they actually offer better handling. Whereas the E is a little big, but don't underestimate the handling - it's not 'big and boaty' at all.

Tee_Tz.
What is your claim based on?

What you say MAY be true when you compare the E55/E63 to a standard C-class/3 series/A4. But it is highly unlikely that the E63 will handle better than a M3/C55/S4/RS4 on a track.

Last edited by PC Valkyrie; 12-08-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:23 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed. I passed on an e55 and went c55 because of the poor air bag handling and the ability to "tune" the c55 suspension to make it even better. Yes you can get the lowering module for the E.... but I cannot comment on how much better the handling is or worse from it.