New Lexus IS-F: competition for C-AMG, M3, S/RS4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
New Lexus IS-F: competition for C-AMG, M3, S/RS4

Lexus today unveiled the IS-F luxury sedan at the 2007 North American International Auto Show in Detroit. The all-new 2008 IS-F will target the BMW M3 and Audi RS4, delivering more than 400 horsepower and 350 ft.-lbs. of torque from a 5.0-liter V8 engine. It will eventually be offered as a two-door coupe, as well.

Much of the development of the new IS-F took place at Fuji Speedway and the Higashi-Fuji Technical Center in Japan. The IS-F is based on the rear-wheel-drive Lexus IS, which is equipped with a double-wishbone front and multi-link rear suspension. The IS-F engine is mated to the world’s first eight-speed "direct sport-shift" transmission. A new torque-converter lock-up control was developed that allows for a direct, crisp gear change through the constant lock-up of the torque converter in second through eighth gears.

In Drive mode, the IS-F transmission performs smoothly, and the torque converter allows for quick 0-60 acceleration in less than 4.9 seconds. The transmission also features a manual mode operated via a pair of paddles. Downshifts are accompanied by automated throttle blips to match engine RPM to vehicle speed. Heavy-duty Brembo brakes with 14.2-inch discs and six-piston calipers ensure all the power is kept under control. The IS-F features custom-designed 19-inch forged alloy wheels as standard.
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus IS-F:  competition for C-AMG, M3, S/RS4-1-2008-lexus-f.jpg   New Lexus IS-F:  competition for C-AMG, M3, S/RS4-2-2008-lexus-f.jpg   New Lexus IS-F:  competition for C-AMG, M3, S/RS4-3-2008-lexus-f.jpg  
Old 01-08-2007, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C55 AMG, 135i, 911 GT3, GLE43 AMG
Well, here are my thoughts:

1) I think that the restyled front end and body kit are more of a negative than a postive, IMO. That raised bonnet looks bulky. The normal IS350 looks much cleaner.

2) 5.0L V8 making > 400HP and 350 lb-ft torque is nice.

3) The release seems to emphasize quite a bit about the 8 speed automatic transmission. This is in direct competition with AMG's Speedshift 7 speed automatic tranmission. Yes, it will stand out being the only 8 speed in this segment of cars. The most impressive thing is it will automatically blip the throttle before downshifts. So far, no AMG automatic transmission will do that while in Manual mode. However, the comments about torque converter lockup starting in 2nd gear are not that impressive. AMG Speedshift transmissions have offerred torque converter lockup starting in 1st gear since 2003. As such, it is likely the Lexus will suffer from more drivetrain losses than the AMG competition when when accelerating in 1st gear.

4) 0-60mph will happen in LESS than 4.9 seconds is the claim. Mercedes USA claimed the old C55 could do 0-60mph in 4.9 seconds. I'm sure the figure from Lexus is a conservative one. I expect the 0-60 run in the mid 4's, if it is going to be a legitimate threat to the new M3, new C63, and current RS4.

5) Being an automatic transmission car, the one car it could seriously threaten is the upcoming C63. However, it is unlikely the IS-F will be a significant threat in terms of acceleration if the next C-AMG car gets a detuned 6.2L V8 making about 475-480HP.

I doubt people will buy the Lexus if their heart is on the RS4 or upcoming M3, both of which do not/unlikley to offer automatic transmissions. And knowing Lexus, they will price this car significnatly lower than their German competitors, making it seem like a good deal.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
I agree. Styling is poor. Bubble hood looks odd, and the body kit looks very aftermarket. But I'll bet it undercuts M3/RS4 money by $10,000.

As to the transmission, at some point, it can get annoying if you use the paddles. Going from a stop to a highway cruise will require 8 manual paddle shifts? What a pita!

I have a 6 speed manual (Audi TT) and I find it to be more work than driving a 5 speed. With a 5 speed, I always found 3rd gear to be a good "transition" gear. Going into a corner, you jam it into third, and take it from there. From 30 to 50 MPH, 3rd gear is a decent starting spot. With a 6 speed, I've yet to figure out which is the best gear, and I find myself in too low (3rd) or too high (4th) quite frequently.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I like the set up.... on this car.

5L= good power and torque

8spd= better fuel economy and higher top end pull..

I will look into this car as my C32 replacement.

After owning my C32 for 2 years... it is very clear that I rather take reliability over HP and Torque any day. The c63 might have more power, but I still have not yet seen an improvement by MB in terms of reliability and quality control. It has been said, that a major restructure for quality is on-going, but so far no results. We might see them in a few years from now. Hopefully on the new C-class.

My E55 is a great car, but noisy and filled with small little problems. I can live with them.. but if they put this engine on the GS... I'll probably be at the lexus dealer ordering one.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 PM

'03 C32
Agree that it's a bit overstyled, but they finally get the idea -- powerful engine in small car makes the AMG, S, M cars the modern muscle machine.

I'm actually surprised that it took them this long but, like with the LS (not to mention Honda's Pilot, Ridgeline), I predict that they will hit a late entrant home run due to quality, smart pricing, etc.

MB management probably somewhat concerned given that the Germans have had the ultra-performance sedan market to themselves for years.

Also have been expecting Subaru to get into this game given their performance heritage & experience with turbocharging. Take Legacy platform with AWD, delete boy racer hood scoop, add a new 6 cyl. 400hp turbocharged engine (that could be detuned to play across their line) with STi pieces and you have a monster that could redefine the stealth power sedan.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Still too early to tell what kind of car this will be. Hopes are high across the board to put some competition on the map but we'll see if this car will 'redefine' the segment like the LS400 did in the early nineties.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:26 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Before I settled on my current C32, 3 months ago, my main dilemma was BMW 330i or Lexus IS350. Based on numerous reviews and specs, for me it boiled down to:

- BMW 330 - first class handling, road feel (favourite buz word for BMW), cornering and fun to drive. I like the BMW shape more than the Lexus, after I saw a IS350 live, odd - big doors and small windows (?)

- IS350 - IMHO it beats the 330i in every other aspect by a significant margin: most impressive times and speed from a superior engine, great auto transmission, comfort, abundant features and top notch reliability

Why am I saying this, you may ask? I dare to predict what reviews will say or repeat that same thing again for IS-F vs. say M3 or 335i.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I do not know what to even say about it. I am lost for words.

In this segment, all the players will be above 400HP mark. So the driving dynamics and styling will be the deciding factors.

Since no one has driven IS-F, styling is the only thing we can evaluate at this time.

Obviously, I am biased. But quiet frankly it reminds me of my childhood friend who had a big nose, like the guy from M.A.S.H., and a droopy rear end.

Overstyled is an understatment. Too many lines going in different directions. It looks very disjointed, like it was designed by a committee. Each designer was only responsible for a section of the car.

Lets see what the mags say about it.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Originally Posted by Vadim @ MBLN
I do not know what to even say about it. I am lost for words.

In this segment, all the players will be above 400HP mark. So the driving dynamics and styling will be the deciding factors.

Since no one has driven IS-F, styling is the only thing we can evaluate at this time.

Obviously, I am biased. But quiet frankly it reminds me of my childhood friend who had a big nose, like the guy from M.A.S.H., and a droopy rear end.

Overstyled is an understatment. Too many lines going in different directions. It looks very disjointed, like it was designed by a committee. Each designer was only responsible for a section of the car.

Lets see what the mags say about it.
I strongly agree. all the major manufactures are getting their hands wet in the power game these days and this is no surprise. although this is one sexy machine and lexus are great car people, the deciding factor comes down to the styling. and this car just does not have it. i am not a huge fan of the new IS styling but on occasion I find myself saying, hmm, they aren’t too bad looking at all! now, this is just overdone. it looks like they gave it to a Japanese teenager with pre-made body pieces and said "run with it kid". time will tell but i am very excited about the C63.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
Doesnt this look like a wannabe M5?

Attached Images
File Type: bmp
m5.bmp (314.1 KB, 848 views)
Old 01-08-2007, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
hideous!!! I like the new IS.. but this version is fugly!! The interior is sharp though..
Old 01-08-2007, 01:54 PM

C32
Originally Posted by 14cue
Doesnt this look like a wannabe M5?

Not really. The front flender flare is more an eyesore, and overall the cleanliness of the IS shape was nuked. It looks like a poor body kit.

Overall the design looks busy, and a lot of work was done at the front end to compensate for the bulging hood to insert the V8. Suffice to say the original IS design (not the chassis) didn't include the possibility of putting in the 5L engine.

Last edited by ultraseven; 01-08-2007 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by vraa
Still too early to tell what kind of car this will be. Hopes are high across the board to put some competition on the map but we'll see if this car will 'redefine' the segment like the LS400 did in the early nineties.
I doubt that car with 400 hp will redefine anything. It has far to much RICER style to be taken seriously by the people shopping for an AMG, M-Power or Audi S/RS car. I think the front fenders look 100% horrible. Lorinser meets Lexus boring style!
Old 01-08-2007, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Yeah, I agree with most of the comments on the design. A little bit to 'bulky', not very nice body kit; expected better.

Onto performance: wow. Very impressive stats, and the fact that it'll be priced cheaper than the BMW and the Benz may make or break the car's future. This will officially kill off the need for buying an Infinti, Acura TL A-Spec and others. The M3 has a very dedicated fan base, and Audi and Mercedes follow, so it'll be interested to see how Lexus cuts into this market.

On the 8-Speed shifter. I'm weary on that, I mean Mercedes' 7-Speed Auto didn't draw to many fans; some say not good, some say good. Anyway, it'll be interesting to read what the test drive results are. They should have made a manual transmission - that would have left competition very open; but oh well.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:09 PM
SPONSOR

i think it looks like a cross between a BMW 5-series and an Infiniti G35...not a good combo...
Old 01-08-2007, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by tee_tz
On the 8-Speed shifter. I'm weary on that, I mean Mercedes' 7-Speed Auto didn't draw to many fans; some say not good, some say good. Anyway, it'll be interesting to read what the test drive results are. They should have made a manual transmission - that would have left competition very open; but oh well.

Tee_Tz.
From what I've read, additional gear ratios will aid acceleration since the engine can be kept in its best rev range.

My concern is that the multiple ratios make the paddle shifting tedious. It's hard enough for me to keep straight on what gear I'm in when I'm driving the 5 speed in manual mode. Imagine accelerating onto a highway from 2nd gear. Shift, shift, shift, shift, shift, shift... Now what gear am I in? 7th? 8th? Then you downshift to pass... do you drop one or two? Then do you just keep slapping the paddle until you reach high gear?

Sometimes better ain't better.

If you watch FIA or Formula 1 races, the paddle/sequential shift cars have a HUGE LED readout of the gear the driver is in. In the good old days, you knew which gear you were in based on the position of the gear shift. Now you have to look at the dash.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Man that cars hard on the eyes! I dont see myself writing a check for that car anythime soon.Yuck
Old 01-08-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by TopGun32
I like the set up.... on this car.

5L= good power and torque

8spd= better fuel economy and higher top end pull..

I will look into this car as my C32 replacement.

After owning my C32 for 2 years... it is very clear that I rather take reliability over HP and Torque any day. The c63 might have more power, but I still have not yet seen an improvement by MB in terms of reliability and quality control. It has been said, that a major restructure for quality is on-going, but so far no results. We might see them in a few years from now. Hopefully on the new C-class.

My E55 is a great car, but noisy and filled with small little problems. I can live with them.. but if they put this engine on the GS... I'll probably be at the lexus dealer ordering one.
If the price is right it will replace my C32. I had a IS350 and not once did it dissapoint while my C32 has been in for repairs twice since owning it since late june 06(thank god for extended warranty) I love the reliabillity and technology advantage it has. A used one with 20k or 30k will do.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
If the ducting behind the front wheels is truly functional (venting the brakes) then I'll retract my criticism a bit (25%). Gotta respect function over form. But the front facia is just too wide.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Is the int. any different from a regular IS?

I was in my friend's sister's new IS, and I liked the interior. This looks a little bit different. Also, yuck at the silver CF.

I do like the wheels however.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
after looking at it more the hood reminds me of a lancer evo..
Old 01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Nice toyota.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:56 PM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by King320
Nice toyota.
Man get a little more creative than that.

Nice Juggernault Toyota Company doing what it does best.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
It's not even a nice toyota! I mean I think I like the new Yaris design better than this thing! One of my coworkers has one...I think it has a certain flaire to it! I'll take a Yaris and drop in a big engine for the price of this IS-Failure.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 C32 AMG
Originally Posted by the101dragons
Man get a little more creative than that.

Nice Juggernault Toyota Company doing what it does best.
Failing? (to impress enthusiasts)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.