Pulled over for no front plate..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E63
Too Funny

Originally Posted by amgmark
So I was driving down El Cajon blvd in the College area of San Diego, pretty busy road near my house.. minding my own business driving the speed limit (which is kinda rare.. LOL).. Had to go pick up beer and some oil to make buffalo wings for the playoff game. This cop going the other way flips a U turn in the middle of the road and proceeds to follow me (not a safe looking illegal U turn at that)

I was thinking WTF did I do, why is this moron following me.. So I make a right down the street I live on and he flips on the lights.. I proceed to pull over and he tells me to keep going to the intersection.. Since I only live two houses past the intersection I pull in my driveway and dude almosts rams my car and blocks the whole street behind me..

I rolled down my window and said what's up? What did I do as I hand him my licence? He looks all agro and asks why I didn't follow his "orders". I said, Dude, I live here and I was pointing for you to see where I was going..

So then he says.. You know its the law in California to have a front license plate.. I said, yeah, so, I have never been pulled over for it, nor have I gotten a ticket in the past 10 years and I have never had a front plate on any of my cars..

So now the whole damn neighborhood is looky louing me and the situation, and I was more than pissed, because now I just missed the kick off for the Charger vs. Pats game..

My buddy was in the house waiting for me laughing thru the window.. Then dude walks up gives me my license and says, well I could give you a fix it ticket, but I am not going too. Next time you are asked to pull over just do it.. My buddy was so pissed becasue he just got a fix it tickey two weeks ago. (The cop gave him a choice - fix it ticket or speeding ticket, LOL)

So, I am rambling on here and I really shouldn't be pissed because I didn't get the fix it ticket..

I guess I just don't like taking orders from some guy in a uniform when I haven't done anything wrong.. I am not fond of people taking down to me.. especially some young punk cop..

I was at the 7 Eleven on El Cajon/Rolando Blvd, yesterday and there was this cop in there. Right after he left the girls were telling me how weird he was, I looked out the window and he was checking out the front of my car!!!! I was like whats going on why is checking my plates. He waited in his car until I got in mine and pulled out of the parking lot, he pulled out right behind me and started following me and then made a quick u-turn in the opposite traffic turning lane before I hit Montazuma..... Young guy dark hair. Wonder if it was the same cop...

Last edited by ShelleE55; 01-15-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Well it was illegal to be driving without a front plate; secondly, if a cop asks you to pull over at a certain section, please save yourself the hassle and do what he says. In the end of the day, there are some bad cops and some good ones, but they are elected to moderate the law (or some of it), so respect that.

Secondly, you're lucky you're not in New York State, my friend try driving down Manhattan without a front plate, you'll get the ticket nice and crisp -- what the hell is a "fix it ticket"...

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:49 PM

1981 300SD TurboDiesel, 1982 300D TurboDiesel
I guess I just don't like taking orders from some guy in a uniform when I haven't done anything wrong..
The law says you gotta have a front plate, you didn't have one, now how's that not doing anything wrong?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by tee_tz
Well it was illegal to be driving without a front plate; secondly, if a cop asks you to pull over at a certain section, please save yourself the hassle and do what he says. In the end of the day, there are some bad cops and some good ones, but they are elected to moderate the law (or some of it), so respect that.

Secondly, you're lucky you're not in New York State, my friend try driving down Manhattan without a front plate, you'll get the ticket nice and crisp -- what the hell is a "fix it ticket"...

Tee_Tz.
I say the same the law is the law and those cops rather good or bad have the right to stop you for people who disregard the law. Cops know when they can or can't give you a ticket. Alot of times they can't give you a ticket in a parking lot so they wait til they can..........like i said before be happy they didn't give you a ticket.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:22 PM

MB

Tee_Tz.
Never heard of the fix-it-tickets either. Sinse they put cameras on every other intersection it is illegal to have even a license plate cover. If you get a ticket for license, registration, inspection, there is no way you will be able to fight it in this cop city
Old 01-16-2007, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
I dunno, if that's the term, but she had to to get a front plate within a certain time period.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by ShelleE55
I was at the 7 Eleven on El Cajon/Rolando Blvd, yesterday and there was this cop in there. Right after he left the girls were telling me how weird he was, I looked out the window and he was checking out the front of my car!!!! I was like whats going on why is checking my plates. He waited in his car until I got in mine and pulled out of the parking lot, he pulled out right behind me and started following me and then made a quick u-turn in the opposite traffic turning lane before I hit Montazuma..... Young guy dark hair. Wonder if it was the same cop...
Yes, young guy around mid 20's dark hair buzz cut..
Old 01-16-2007, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by H-townbenzoboy
The law says you gotta have a front plate, you didn't have one, now how's that not doing anything wrong?
Well tell ya what.. I am not going to put a f'ing plate on my car so they can kiss my ***.. I have a couple of friends that are SDPD so I have a get out of a fix it ticket free card anyway.

Here is the point.. They are only looking for excuses to pull you over. If it wasn't my front plate it would have been my illegally tinted windows that he didn't even mention. This guy saw my car and was going to find a reason to pull me over period.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63

Tee_Tz.
I wanted to pull over in a place where there were no cars and it was safe. He wanted me to stop in the middle of the road which I am not going to do. He said he will block the whole road if he wants too and its not my decision. I have seen many videos of cops not fully off the road getting rear ended and injured as well as the person they pulled over. Sorry, I am going to do what I think is safe.

Next, they are not elected.. Only the Chief is elected.

I have met my share of good cops and bad cops. Have friends that are cops.. I have absolutely nothing wrong with police in general. I just don't like being sweated because this guy wanted someone to hassle.

I would never drive in Manhattan.. been there many times, no thanks!! (I was born and grew up in upstate NY)
Old 01-16-2007, 02:19 PM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
I used to get pulled over often in my '02 Z06 Vette for no front plate by the local State Trooper who cruised the highway I drive everyday... Never got a ticket, but it was always "next time, I'll write you a ticket"... The Troopers in Colorado have a "contact quota" meaning for every 10 miles they drive on the patrol car, they have to make a stop... No front plate just gives them a reason to make the initial stop and then they never know what else they'll find once they make contact... No license, no insurance, no registration, drugs, drunk, weapons, you name it, they run accross it simply by making the stop... In your case, your number just came up and that may be all there is to it...
Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 PM

08 E63
Yes, young guy around mid 20's dark hair buzz cut..
Wow. Sounds like it was the same cop. Hopefully you can go to the meet on Saturday and join the SD caravan going up. It would be nice to meet neighbor AMG'r.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
I wanted to pull over in a place where there were no cars and it was safe. He wanted me to stop in the middle of the road which I am not going to do. He said he will block the whole road if he wants too and its not my decision. I have seen many videos of cops not fully off the road getting rear ended and injured as well as the person they pulled over. Sorry, I am going to do what I think is safe.

Next, they are not elected.. Only the Chief is elected.

I have met my share of good cops and bad cops. Have friends that are cops.. I have absolutely nothing wrong with police in general. I just don't like being sweated because this guy wanted someone to hassle.

I would never drive in Manhattan.. been there many times, no thanks!! (I was born and grew up in upstate NY)

Well believe it or not it's for your own safety. Imagine we all, in the U.S., took off our front plate and drove around like that, it would be havoc. So my own advice is - don't try to live above the law, or think you should get an 'exception' because your friend is a cop. If you really prefer register your car in a state like Pennsylvania that doesn't require the front plate.

Also, you endanger yourself when you don't follow a cops' orders. What you fail to realize is that cops deal with all types of people - some innocent like yourself, but some who are dangerous who might jump out the car and start shooting; some who are hiding a body in their trunk, some who are wanted convicts; hence when a cop asks you to do something and you don't respond he automatically begins to assume all these things, and needs to also protect himself (for instance, I'm sure he ran your plates as he did when he followed you for a while before activating his sirens) and he'll also start to giving his location, just in case things go down.

Anyway, I think many understand my point, cops are here to help govern the law. We can't all be cops and think we'll I'm not bothering anybody so what the heck; no, it's already been decided that we need front and rear plates, so either follow it, or get the ticket. Also 99.9% of the time if you go to court to contest the ticket and the cop shows up, you lost. Cause the fact is, you know diddly squat about the law, and he knows the whole book. (Well, unless you're a judge/lawyer).

Hey, at the end of the day, keep them off if you prefer just don't come complaining to us when you get the ticket.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by sdunham
I used to get pulled over often in my '02 Z06 Vette for no front plate by the local State Trooper who cruised the highway I drive everyday... Never got a ticket, but it was always "next time, I'll write you a ticket"... The Troopers in Colorado have a "contact quota" meaning for every 10 miles they drive on the patrol car, they have to make a stop... No front plate just gives them a reason to make the initial stop and then they never know what else they'll find once they make contact... No license, no insurance, no registration, drugs, drunk, weapons, you name it, they run accross it simply by making the stop... In your case, your number just came up and that may be all there is to it...
Well he said the cop was driving on the other side of the road, so instantly when you see a car driving by you with no front page you're going to wonder 'why doesn't this car have a front plate?' I think the officer made the "correct" choice to pull him over. It was straight out of the book -- "If a vehicle has no front plate number, pull his a** over!"

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Well believe it or not it's for your own safety. Imagine we all, in the U.S., took off our front plate and drove around like that, it would be havoc. So my own advice is - don't try to live above the law, or think you should get an 'exception' because your friend is a cop. If you really prefer register your car in a state like Pennsylvania that doesn't require the front plate.

Also, you endanger yourself when you don't follow a cops' orders. What you fail to realize is that cops deal with all types of people - some innocent like yourself, but some who are dangerous who might jump out the car and start shooting; some who are hiding a body in their trunk, some who are wanted convicts; hence when a cop asks you to do something and you don't respond he automatically begins to assume all these things, and needs to also protect himself (for instance, I'm sure he ran your plates as he did when he followed you for a while before activating his sirens) and he'll also start to giving his location, just in case things go down.

Anyway, I think many understand my point, cops are here to help govern the law. We can't all be cops and think we'll I'm not bothering anybody so what the heck; no, it's already been decided that we need front and rear plates, so either follow it, or get the ticket. Also 99.9% of the time if you go to court to contest the ticket and the cop shows up, you lost. Cause the fact is, you know diddly squat about the law, and he knows the whole book. (Well, unless you're a judge/lawyer).

Hey, at the end of the day, keep them off if you prefer just don't come complaining to us when you get the ticket.

Tee_Tz.
I second this "NONE OF US IS ABOVE THE LAWS" Either way what if you get into a hit and run accident and the other driver hit you on the side with his front end but backs up to an alley and you or others can't catch his plates cause he doesn't have a front plate? The front plates also help you identify a car who hit you and ran. But no front plate gives him a 50% chance of not getting caught and violators would take that 50% chance. Plates help us all and there are nice plate frames that you can put to show off car.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 C55
most of us hate cops when they pull us over for whatever reason. but some of them are nice. i have had my share of the bad and the good. i hit a road block on NYE. i had a few buddies in the car and i drank 4-5 beers. i felt fine and i wasnt even buzed. anyway, i knew he would pull me over, blk MB, car with 2 other dudes. a few mins later i see a black dude get pulled over in a blk E class. we were all dressed up and headed to a house party after a dinner at a close friends house. anyway, the cop told me to pull over to the side and then tells me to setp out of the car...gives me a breathalyzer. i thought for sure i would pass! i blew a warning but instead of giving me a $500 ticket for DUI, tow my car and take away my license, he was nice enough to let my buddy take a test and if he passed he would let him drive away. luckily he passed! he did take my license away to be held for 24 hrs. he was a rookie cp so he wasnt biter yet :P

anyway, lesson learnt. no more drinking period when driving! not even one beer. i dont usually drink at all when i drive but i honestly felt fine.

as for the front plate, i always looked over my shoulder when i didnt have one on my old car. since the dealer drilled holes in my current car i'll leave it as is.

you are lucky though. sorry about the football game tho.

Last edited by 14cue; 01-16-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Guys why argue? Its a law he is not following once he gets a ticket and pays for it he will change his tune and if he doesn't then the next few tickets will change his mind on having a front plate.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:28 PM

im my state you are not required to have a front plate...but i know people that carry a plate with them and throw it on the windshield when they think somthing is up...you could try that...maybe when u park throw it up there...
Old 01-16-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by RacerX0911
im my state you are not required to have a front plate...but i know people that carry a plate with them and throw it on the windshield when they think somthing is up...you could try that...maybe when u park throw it up there...
Yea, people in PA do that also, for when they are visiting other states; although not required, but they do so out of courtesy. But in states that a front plate is required, putting it on the windshield doesn't count. They want it ON the bumper.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:41 PM

Yea, people in PA do that also, for when they are visiting other states; although not required, but they do so out of courtesy. But in states that a front plate is required, putting it on the windshield doesn't count. They want it ON the bumper.

Tee_Tz.
oh well sucks for those guys! lol
Old 01-16-2007, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Just found this and signed it..

http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html

I like this phrase from the petition:

"Finally, police officers will be more productive in stopping dangerous motor vehicle violations such as drunk driving, reckless driving, speeding, etc., because their time won't be compromised by a California motorist who simply didn't have a front license plate on display."

I think that sums it up nicely and was my point.. Yes they pull you over and use this as an excuse to find other issues..

Next: California Vehicle Code

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

It does not state that the plate needs to be attached to the bumper. I just needs to be no higher than 60 inches from the ground.. So it seems like it could be in the window. (However there is probably some other stupid law against putting thing inside your window.. LOL)

Oh and tee_tz.. I will agree to disagree with most of your points.. driving around without a front plate certainly does not create havoc..
Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Kindly explain to me how a front license plate disrupts the performance of your C32. And cops would be more 'efficient', that's too funny....

No offense to you, or whoever wrote that, but it sounds like a 3rd grader. Law makers are busy trying to figure out how to protect people, dealing with ethical issues, and so forth - and someone wants to abolish front license plates.... I've concluded, people have way too much time on their hands.

Oh and by the way, when cops use "an excuse" to pull someone over, you'd be surprised how many crimes are solved and felons are caught that way. I suppose next we should say let's abolish the airport security with their random checks on passengers before flights... ...yeah, but it only takes 1 disaster for people to realize the reason things are the way they are.

Tee_Tz.

Last edited by tee_tz; 01-16-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cee Fiddy Five
Duh, our high performance engines need the perfect airflow from the front bumper for max performance. With a dumb plate in front, we loose power!!!

Actually, I think it ruins a really nice looking front. That's why mine will remain plate-less.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Exclamation

Just found this and signed it..

I like this phrase from the petition:

"Finally, police officers will be more productive in stopping dangerous motor vehicle violations such as drunk driving, reckless driving, speeding, etc., because their time won't be compromised by a California motorist who simply didn't have a front license plate on display."
This link should be on every CALIFORNIA MBWorld member's signature:
I just signed the petition.

Mark, join the SAN DIEGO Caravan to the Saturday MB Meet in Irvine, CA.
We are meeting up at the PARK & RIDE near the 805 North on-ramp off Mira Mesa Blvd, near Sorrento Valley. See the SD Caravan thread in the EVENTS section.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Old 01-16-2007, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by MercedesFTW
Duh, our high performance engines need the perfect airflow from the front bumper for max performance. With a dumb plate in front, we loose power!!!

Actually, I think it ruins a really nice looking front. That's why mine will remain plate-less.
LOL! ... Thank you, at least someone is honest. It has a much cleaner look, and that's what you're trying to protect.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by Saprissa
This link should be on every CALIFORNIA MBWorld member's signature:
I just signed the petition.

Mark, join the SAN DIEGO Caravan to the Saturday MB Meet in Irvine, CA.
We are meeting up at the PARK & RIDE near the 805 North on-ramp off Mira Mesa Blvd, near Sorrento Valley. See the SD Caravan thread in the EVENTS section.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
Never gonna happen. As I've said many times, no front plate is one of the best probable causes that cops use to pull you over in CA. My friend is a cop in socal, and catches sooo many DUIs that were initially no front plate or trailer hitch obstructing rear plate stops. California already has a pretty good no front plate deal -- the $10 fix it ticket. You know it is illegal, and you chose to do it anyway, so you shouldn't be surprised when you get nabbed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for no front plate..