C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pulled over for no front plate..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got stopped by a dxck cop who was sitting outside a high school in Fremont, CA. These two cops were sitting on their motorcycles as the kids went to school.

I was stopped for having illegal tint on my front windows. I've been expecting this for a long time, but was never pulled over. Normally I would roll down my windows, but I've passed so many cops who didn't give a shxt, I got lazy. The one time I didn't roll them down - pinched.

So, OK I knew that was coming. Next he wrote me up for having clear bulbs in my rear signals. I guess you're supposed to have amber bulbs. After he wrote me the ticket he told me, oh - and you don't have a front license plate. At this point I was getting pissed off - he let me off without having the plate. I do have a really nice black AMG emblem where the plate was supposed to go. Does that count? hehe

I took the fix it ticket to Milpitas CA after I removed the tint and replaced the bulbs. The officer who signed the ticket didn't even look at my car. He signed it off and seemed pissed that I was bothering him.

This is in the same city (Fremont, CA) where they won't come over to your house if the burglar alarm goes off. I guess they're too busy busting people for fix it tickets.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
In MA, if your license plate frame covers "The Spirit of America" in the bottom of the plate, you can get pulled over. So, I don't have an AMG or Mercedes Benz plate frame. However, I don't have a front plate either even though it's required in MA.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
Originally Posted by Saprissa
This link should be on every CALIFORNIA MBWorld member's signature:
http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html
I just signed the petition.

Mark, join the SAN DIEGO Caravan to the Saturday MB Meet in Irvine, CA.
We are meeting up at the PARK & RIDE near the 805 North on-ramp off Mira Mesa Blvd, near Sorrento Valley. See the SD Caravan thread in the EVENTS section.

Carlos

Saprissa@aol.com
I know exactly where that is, I work about a block away. I will see what I can do!!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
In MA, if your license plate frame covers "The Spirit of America" in the bottom of the plate, you can get pulled over. So, I don't have an AMG or Mercedes Benz plate frame. However, I don't have a front plate either even though it's required in MA.
Same in Illinois. If you have any writing on the plate obstructed, that's a violation. It is also a violation to have ANY form of plate cover (like those clear plate protector things).
Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by tee_tz
Kindly explain to me how a front license plate disrupts the performance of your C32. And cops would be more 'efficient', that's too funny....

No offense to you, or whoever wrote that, but it sounds like a 3rd grader. Law makers are busy trying to figure out how to protect people, dealing with ethical issues, and so forth - and someone wants to abolish front license plates.... I've concluded, people have way too much time on their hands.

Oh and by the way, when cops use "an excuse" to pull someone over, you'd be surprised how many crimes are solved and felons are caught that way. I suppose next we should say let's abolish the airport security with their random checks on passengers before flights... ...yeah, but it only takes 1 disaster for people to realize the reason things are the way they are.

Tee_Tz.
I never said it did anything to performance. It is just fugly as hell to such a nice clean bumper.

IMO we have too many laws.. Next they will be able to give you a ticket for not having your shoes tied!!

I am not arguing that it is illegal, I know this. I am arguing that it is one of many stupid laws the powers that be pass to keep you under their thumb. If you don't realize this then there is no help for you.

Cops don't drive in front of you and I doubt they can read your plate very well in the rear view so you really only need the rear plate. The only reason for a front plate that I can gather is for traffic camera's but there are only like 10 maybe in all of San Diego?? besides they also take a pic of your rear plate.

(Ironically I am in favor of traffic light cameras and would like to see more of them)
Old 01-16-2007, 08:48 PM

1981 300SD TurboDiesel, 1982 300D TurboDiesel
Originally Posted by amgmark
The only reason for a front plate that I can gather is for traffic camera's
BUZZZZ!!! Wrong answer! Try again! Front plates have been around for DECADES longer than traffic light cameras and other cameras on the road have, they've been around since before your grandparents were born probably. I think a more plausible and rational explanation for front mounted plates would be something along these lines...

Ex: A vehicle is reported stolen, it's a silver C-class with plate number "123-ABC". Cop hears this on his radio, and is driving down the street. Sees a silver C-class in the oncoming lane, sees the front plate says "678-XYZ" on the opposite side, so he keeps going. A few miles later down the road, he sees another silver C-class, front plate says "123-ABC", he can quickly turn around and get the theif. Had the front plate not been there, he would've wasted time turning around going after the other car to look at the rear plate.

Now, I'm not telling you to go put your front plate on, it's your car and driving record, but your reasoning for why front plates are required in some states doesn't make sense.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
I just moved from Georgia and they don't require front plates. Also, there are 19 or more other states that do not require it, including all of the states that border Texas.

I think they are a waste of resources and money.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by H-townbenzoboy
BUZZZZ!!! Wrong answer! Try again! Front plates have been around for DECADES longer than traffic light cameras and other cameras on the road have, they've been around since before your grandparents were born probably. I think a more plausible and rational explanation for front mounted plates would be something along these lines...

Ex: A vehicle is reported stolen, it's a silver C-class with plate number "123-ABC". Cop hears this on his radio, and is driving down the street. Sees a silver C-class in the oncoming lane, sees the front plate says "678-XYZ" on the opposite side, so he keeps going. A few miles later down the road, he sees another silver C-class, front plate says "123-ABC", he can quickly turn around and get the theif. Had the front plate not been there, he would've wasted time turning around going after the other car to look at the rear plate.

Now, I'm not telling you to go put your front plate on, it's your car and driving record, but your reasoning for why front plates are required in some states doesn't make sense.
OK.. makes sense..
Old 01-17-2007, 12:00 AM

MB C32 AMG
I got a ticket on Madison Ave here in NYC for having clear covers over the plate $65 while the car was parked. Out of 1 mill. cars in the city they had to pick on mine. That just shows me how busy they are post 9-11
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 AM

95 Bronco w/351 V8 & 2003 Mustang MACH 1
Here is another way to look at it. Cops don't go to your work and tell how you how to do your job. Don't try to tell them how to do theirs.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by 85Cosworth
Here is another way to look at it. Cops don't go to your work and tell how you how to do your job. Don't try to tell them how to do theirs.
Oh how cliche.. how long did it take you to think that one up..
Old 01-17-2007, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
(Ironically I am in favor of traffic light cameras and would like to see more of them)
Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 AM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
we have a front plate law???? rofl...jk

none of the cars in my family has front plates except the minivan and we've never been pulled over for the front plate other than the minivan (parents' old 96 Dodge Caravan, not the new 05 Odyssey), so go figure.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:45 AM

C55 AMG
Originally Posted by RacerX0911
im my state you are not required to have a front plate...but i know people that carry a plate with them and throw it on the windshield when they think somthing is up...you could try that...maybe when u park throw it up there...
THis method doesn't work in Denver at the parking meters. I got a ticket for this.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by H-townbenzoboy

Ding, ding, ding, ding!!

CORRECT!! ...lol.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Look, you guys might feel it's a waste of time and resources, but it helps cops (and other law enforcements, and people, and pedestrians and so forth) do their job easier and quicker. Also in the speed camera case, if the camera for some reason cannot read the rear license plate properly (due to dirt, bad angel, yatta-yatta), there is always the back up from the front plate.

The fact of the matter is laws are rightly created. Now, for those of you who do not understand, let me say, rightly because you are not the only one in the country. Therefore, laws are created for the consideration of everyone. Some laws you hate while others like, some law you like while others hate. It cannot please everyone all the time. Also remember this, if anything, "your freedom ends where another's begins."

But hey, as I've said, it's absolutely fine to not put on your license plate, I know I didn't want to put one on my BMW - it looked so clean, but I'm just saying, WHEN you get the ticket (cause you will) don't complain. Perhaps you can show up to court with your 16,000 people petition and plead your case, while the cop shows up with a copy of the state law.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63
Originally Posted by transferred
Well.. I don't run red lights..

FYI, my finance was killed by a drunk driver who ran a red light going 70 in a 35..

So I hate when people run red lights, and I absolutely loathe drunk drivers and will report them immediately..
Old 01-17-2007, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML63 AMG
Well.. I don't run red lights..

FYI, my finance was killed by a drunk driver who ran a red light going 70 in a 35..

So I hate when people run red lights, and I absolutely loathe drunk drivers and will report them immediately..
Very sorry to hear about your loss. Drunk driving is a careless action - you think that it's your life and you can do whatever you want to do, but you don't realize that you endanger other peoples lives as well. Goes back to the saying, your freedom ends where another's begins, it's truly sad to hear accidents that result from drunk driving. Again, very sorry to hear and I'm sure it's made you a more conscience and attentive driver.

I sometimes feel those who just started driving are somewhat better than us who've driven for a long time. They are nervous, they are scared, they are taking all precautions, while sometimes we feel we've done it some many times; it's so easy, we can multi task, and that leads into an accident. Let's always remember, safety first.

Tee_Tz.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: San Diego, CA & San Jose, Costa Rica & Stuttgart, Germany
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1959 220S / 1979 230 G / 2002 A210 AMG / 2003 C320 SC / 2004.5 C320 SS / 2005 ML350 SE / 2008 smart
Talking just say no...

say NO to front license plates !

Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
Front plates

One of those laws that seems questionable.
Kind of like illegal aliens. Oh forgot. Thats a federal problem.
Another law ignored and dismissed by our local law enforcement.

18% of all cars in Cali. No front plates.
Cost to taxpayers. Zero.

8%+ of all people in Cali. Illegal Status.
Cost to taxpayers. Priceless.

5%+ of all Cali drivers. No License.
Cost to our Insurance. Mucho !

Lets go after Benz owners with no front plates.
Law enforcement dollars really well spent ! NOT.

Its called revenue enhancement. Not law enforcement.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by bltserv

Cost to taxpayers. Zero.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Old 01-17-2007, 06:43 PM

C32 AMG
front plates

Ladies and Gentlemen !
This is an input from former State Trooper from Illinois (retired): One of the main reasons for frnt plates is ability to reflect laser and radar!
According to him, Law Enforcement asked (requested) manufacturers of lic. plates to coat them with highly reflective paint. That was implemented few years back when many cars lost their square fronts in favor to aerodynamics. This made old radars to give faulty readings. And it was a quick fix for old technology and now it's just perfect for lasers.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:28 PM

05 CLK55
today was my day...
Old 01-17-2007, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by bltserv

Cost to taxpayers. Zero.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
X166, 997
Got a parking tix for no front plate

dude, I just got a ticket for no plates...the car was parked on the street in San Francisco. Fregging meter maids. Looked at the tix, $100 bucks, but comments said it was fixable, and 10 bucks if I get it signed off...BS

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for no front plate..