C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Pulled over for no front plate..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze81
I agree with you sdsilverm3. Well, today my bro got pull over because of the tint on the front windows on El Cajon Blvd too... . It's a fix-it ticket. So, can somebody in SD share their experience on what to do after this (other than of course take the tint off)?? The cop told my brother that he will get the ticket by mail and ask my bro to just mail the ticket back to court and pay $10. My question is how do the police know if the tint was taken off (assuming mr bro only mails the ticket back and pay $10)?? This is my first experience so any info will be appreciate.
If you choose the option of paying the $10 fine you must have a peace officer sign the ticket stating the tint was removed. You cannot just simply pay $10. Most of the time the officer will actually check to see if the correction has been done. If you know anyone that is a cop then.... You can also pay the bail amount and not fix it. That might be a little on the hefty side though.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:25 PM

2018 E63 AMG
I'm new here but i just wanted to chime in real quick..

If you live in LA, it's a pretty common thing to get pulled over for the front license plates. At the beginning of last year, all the CHP, Sheriffs, County police, etc all got some sort of memo or something because me, my sister and a couple of my friends all got front license plate tickets in the SAME WEEK. My sister got hers at the airport from airport police... after she got her ticket, she circled around LAX one more time because you cant sit at the curb, and another cop pulled her over... I think even parking enforcement can give u a front license plate ticket, but not sure on that one..

The point is, cities make a killing off these stoplight cameras.. and with Orange County having the tollroads enforced by cameras, there's a big $ incentive for them to have your plates installed.

My question is, has anyone ever just told the cop "hey man, there's no spot for it! I dont even have a bracket!" I suspect it wouldn't work..
Old 02-14-2007, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
MBUSA recently got a scolding from some California judge for not putting the front plate bracket on cars sold in California. The argument that there is no place to mount it might hold some water if you can show that MBUSA has not contacted you to mount the bracket.

As I read the law, it does not need to be outside on the front bumper. It has to be visible, and no more than 60 inches from the ground, and it can't swing freely. The front visor works for me. Two rubber bands "securely" fastens the plate as required by statute.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Moviela
As I read the law, it does not need to be outside on the front bumper. It has to be visible, and no more than 60 inches from the ground, and it can't swing freely. The front visor works for me. Two rubber bands "securely" fastens the plate as required by statute.
I can guarantee you're still going to get a ticket. If you disagree, the cop will just tell you to tell it to the judge. $10 or day in court? Hmmm....
Old 02-14-2007, 09:28 PM

W220, W208, W203
Originally Posted by sdsilverm3
If you choose the option of paying the $10 fine you must have a peace officer sign the ticket stating the tint was removed. You cannot just simply pay $10. Most of the time the officer will actually check to see if the correction has been done. If you know anyone that is a cop then.... You can also pay the bail amount and not fix it. That might be a little on the hefty side though.

So you can get the ticket signed off by a "peace officer"? or does it have to be a "police officer".??
Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Thanks for the reply and info. Unfortunately I dont have any friends who is a cop, do you have any and can hook me up . Well, the worst case is I will just take off the old tint and put the new one after everything is done with the damn ticket.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gate1way2
So you can get the ticket signed off by a "peace officer"? or does it have to be a "police officer".??
I know that Sheriff Dept, CHP, and local PD can sign them off. You should call to verify and state who issued the ticket just to make sure.

Originally Posted by kaze81
Thanks for the reply and info. Unfortunately I dont have any friends who is a cop, do you have any and can hook me up . Well, the worst case is I will just take off the old tint and put the new one after everything is done with the damn ticket.
I don't have any close friends that are cops. I played on a flag football team that were 90% CHP but haven't seen them in a few months so it'd be weird to ask out of the blue.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:26 PM

2018 E63 AMG
i hear one that one easy way to get cops to sign off on your tint is to approach them in a parking lot somewhere and say "can you sign off my tint fix it ticket for me?" When they ask where your car is, you say it's on the top floor of the parking structure.. and if he'll wait there for 10 mins, you'll drive it down so he can check it.. Most of the time, the cops will just say "oh forget it. i trust you.." and sign it. if he actually takes you up on the offer, just bail!

The other thing to do is just switch license plates with a friend who has the same car. Assuming you guys are all C32 or C55 owners, I'm sure there's someone out there w/the same color/model car w/o tint..
Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
I don't have any close friends that are cops. I played on a flag football team that were 90% CHP but haven't seen them in a few months so it'd be weird to ask out of the blue.
I understand that and thanks again for the info. I guess I will just take off the old tint, get the cop sign off and re did it again
Old 02-15-2007, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by dragoon101
The other thing to do is just switch license plates with a friend who has the same car. Assuming you guys are all C32 or C55 owners, I'm sure there's someone out there w/the same color/model car w/o tint..
Ehm... good idea about switching the plate , however all of my friends that I know and have the same color and type of cars have their cars window tinted. Cool idea though IMO
Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 PM
Almost a Member!

'98 BMW 540iA ZSP, '94 BMW 530iA (sold)
Originally Posted by amgmark
So I was driving down El Cajon blvd in the College area of San Diego, pretty busy road near my house.. minding my own business driving the speed limit (which is kinda rare.. LOL).. Had to go pick up beer and some oil to make buffalo wings for the playoff game. This cop going the other way flips a U turn in the middle of the road and proceeds to follow me (not a safe looking illegal U turn at that)

I was thinking WTF did I do, why is this moron following me.. So I make a right down the street I live on and he flips on the lights.. I proceed to pull over and he tells me to keep going to the intersection.. Since I only live two houses past the intersection I pull in my driveway and dude almosts rams my car and blocks the whole street behind me..

I rolled down my window and said what's up? What did I do as I hand him my licence? He looks all agro and asks why I didn't follow his "orders". I said, Dude, I live here and I was pointing for you to see where I was going..

So then he says.. You know its the law in California to have a front license plate.. I said, yeah, so, I have never been pulled over for it, nor have I gotten a ticket in the past 10 years and I have never had a front plate on any of my cars..

So now the whole damn neighborhood is looky louing me and the situation, and I was more than pissed, because now I just missed the kick off for the Charger vs. Pats game..

My buddy was in the house waiting for me laughing thru the window.. Then dude walks up gives me my license and says, well I could give you a fix it ticket, but I am not going too. Next time you are asked to pull over just do it.. My buddy was so pissed becasue he just got a fix it tickey two weeks ago. (The cop gave him a choice - fix it ticket or speeding ticket, LOL)

So, I am rambling on here and I really shouldn't be pissed because I didn't get the fix it ticket..

I guess I just don't like taking orders from some guy in a uniform when I haven't done anything wrong.. I am not fond of people taking down to me.. especially some young punk cop..
The cop just needed to prove his manhood to someone, probably because he's got low self-esteem. Most cops are like the adult version of an elementary school bully, they need to beat up on others to make themselves feel adequate. Just forget about it, and be happy you didn't grow up to be a insecure loser like the cop that pulled you over.

Last edited by fm.watch; 02-15-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Almost a Member!

'98 BMW 540iA ZSP, '94 BMW 530iA (sold)
Originally Posted by dragoon101
I'm new here but i just wanted to chime in real quick..

If you live in LA, it's a pretty common thing to get pulled over for the front license plates. At the beginning of last year, all the CHP, Sheriffs, County police, etc all got some sort of memo or something because me, my sister and a couple of my friends all got front license plate tickets in the SAME WEEK. My sister got hers at the airport from airport police... after she got her ticket, she circled around LAX one more time because you cant sit at the curb, and another cop pulled her over... I think even parking enforcement can give u a front license plate ticket, but not sure on that one..

The point is, cities make a killing off these stoplight cameras.. and with Orange County having the tollroads enforced by cameras, there's a big $ incentive for them to have your plates installed.

My question is, has anyone ever just told the cop "hey man, there's no spot for it! I dont even have a bracket!" I suspect it wouldn't work..
I had a 7-series BMW that I purposely bought the "non-bracket" trim for for exactly that reason. Never got pulled over for the front plate.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
I can guarantee you're still going to get a ticket. If you disagree, the cop will just tell you to tell it to the judge. $10 or day in court? Hmmm....
Most officers like their jobs will not comit a felony and file a false report over an equipment violation.

The brave officer who ended a tragic shooting this week in Utah would not ever be involved in filing a false report, and the same is true for the majority of those who serve. When an officer breaks the law it makes news because it happens so infrequently. (Except in Maywood, California)
Old 02-15-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Most officers like their jobs will not comit a felony and file a false report over an equipment violation.
I wish that was entirely true. I think that type of behavior is more of an issue if there's a problem that's in a gray area and the officer is unsure of whether it is a true violation or not.

For example, I used to get pulled over back in the late 90's when they were cracking down on Honda's and imports in general. Even if something was CARB legal they would tell people I'm writing you a ticket for a "potential" violation and then send the car to the state ref for them to decide if the issue in question is a violation or they say tell it to the judge. I've experienced both.

The ref eyeballs the damn thing and says, "okay it's legal" but then still makes you do a smog check that you pay for. Great way of enforcing the law if you ask me. $$$$$$
Old 02-16-2007, 03:04 PM

2018 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by fm.watch
I had a 7-series BMW that I purposely bought the "non-bracket" trim for for exactly that reason. Never got pulled over for the front plate.
that's funny you say that because I used to have a 740iL myself and I got pulled over with the front license plate filler trim installed..
Old 02-16-2007, 08:15 PM

C32 AMG
Kinda off topic but funny.

Recently I did get a ticket for not having "city sticker"( in illinois you must have one displayed on front windshield- some sort of tax for using roads in your city). Belived or not secretary of state made mistake and send me registration for 2004 Lexus LX470 (SUV) with my vin# and my old plate #.
Cop ran the plates in their database and did not question why C32 has plates from Lexus, just writes ticket and goes on w/ his business.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 PM

its seriously stupid

I've been pulled over 2 times for the front plate and i have not once gotten a ticket. Both times the Cop has gone out of his way to give me the ticket. I think its really stupid that they go out of there way to pull us over and in the end not end up giving us a ticket. I'm glad that i didnt end up getting the front plate ticket but if i did get it i wouldnt of really cared either. But i just hate how the pull us over and end up not giving us a ticket at all. And both times that i have been pulled over for it i knew for a fact i wasnt going to get a ticket.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:45 PM

W220, W208, W203

When an officer breaks the law it makes news because it happens so infrequently. (Except in Maywood, California)
are you serious? Come on now, the reason it makes the news is because they are that stupid to get caught, most officers are smart enough not to get caught...
Old 02-21-2007, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by shanetoast
I've been pulled over 2 times for the front plate and i have not once gotten a ticket. Both times the Cop has gone out of his way to give me the ticket. I think its really stupid that they go out of there way to pull us over and in the end not end up giving us a ticket. I'm glad that i didnt end up getting the front plate ticket but if i did get it i wouldnt of really cared either. But i just hate how the pull us over and end up not giving us a ticket at all. And both times that i have been pulled over for it i knew for a fact i wasnt going to get a ticket.
I can't repeat this enough, the reason they are pulling you over is because your lack of a front plate gives them probable cause and they are hoping to cite you for something more serious (like DUI or possession). Most law enforcement that I know do not give out front plate tickets, but pull people over for it all the time.