C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Check Engine Light/Rough Idle Fixed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 c32 AMG
Check Engine Light/Rough Idle Fixed

Hello All. I wanted to share my experience with a check light. Last Wed. night left office...check light comes on...running very rough. I have been refilling antifreeze about 1 qt./10 days with no evidence of leakage outside engine. Thinking this finally has done something in inside the engine, I took it to MB dealership here in Sarasota. During test drive harmonic balancer breaks from engine. They repair and test for leakage of antifreeze with pressure test. No leakage found. Inspection of intercooler is "bone dry." Total bill was $642.97, of which Mercury Warranty paid all but $131.73. Car runs like a dream. Anyway, the reason for this post is this: Where oh where is this antifreeze going? Reading these forums had me printing out some of them and giving to the tech. They did the presumptive looking around/testing and found nothing. Why am I adding antifreeze every week or so? It seems to be against the laws of physics because I know this stuff doesn't evaporate! Any discussion would be welcomed.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:18 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Not sure how sensitive their pressure test is but loss may also occur only under certain circumstances (temperature, coolant pressure, etc).

This is a tough one to diagnose. I have similar issue but it is even more weird:

I had a coolant loss and power loss. After the dealer changed a faulty I/C pump, loss stopped. A month later, I lost 1.5" on the coolant reservoir within say 10 days - seeing it disappear gradually. Now, it has been 3 weeks and I no longer see a coolant loss (it stays at that low level - 1.5" below where it should be). Go figure. Cannot point to any driving pattern or weather differences.

From what I read here, one thing is to have done is a glycol test on transmission fluid (by dealer) and second, either yourself or dealer to open the air intake covers and inspect for coolant deposits - due to intercooler failure (likely crack or corrosion).

... and I am out of ideas...
Old 02-05-2007, 08:15 PM

2009 C63 AMG Steel Gray
Could this be the issue of your coolant leaking into the transmission? But that sound like a lot of leakage!

-Jeff
Old 02-07-2007, 06:17 AM

2003 c32 AMG
Originally Posted by gkstar
Not sure how sensitive their pressure test is but loss may also occur only under certain circumstances (temperature, coolant pressure, etc).

This is a tough one to diagnose. I have similar issue but it is even more weird:

I had a coolant loss and power loss. After the dealer changed a faulty I/C pump, loss stopped. A month later, I lost 1.5" on the coolant reservoir within say 10 days - seeing it disappear gradually. Now, it has been 3 weeks and I no longer see a coolant loss (it stays at that low level - 1.5" below where it should be). Go figure. Cannot point to any driving pattern or weather differences.

From what I read here, one thing is to have done is a glycol test on transmission fluid (by dealer) and second, either yourself or dealer to open the air intake covers and inspect for coolant deposits - due to intercooler failure (likely crack or corrosion).

... and I am out of ideas...
So I would look for residue inside the air intake covers, where my K & N's are?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 AM

2003 c32 AMG
Originally Posted by OCJeff
Could this be the issue of your coolant leaking into the transmission? But that sound like a lot of leakage!

-Jeff
I thought of this, too, but yeah, I don't think the tranny would keep working with this much other liquid going in and not coming out.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by 03c32AMG
Total bill was $642.97, of which Mercury Warranty paid all but $131.73.
Curious why Mercury did not foot the entire bill? I have a large claim through them now and am afraid of what the final bill out the door will be and how much they are going to try and dig into my pockets. Did you have the premium coverage?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:57 PM

2003 c32 AMG
Originally Posted by SilverBulletAMG
Curious why Mercury did not foot the entire bill? I have a large claim through them now and am afraid of what the final bill out the door will be and how much they are going to try and dig into my pockets. Did you have the premium coverage?
The dealer told me they do not cover "wear and tear" items like the belt. MB belt is $80. plus. The bill does not break down all the misc parts and pieces used, but I didn't quibble about the excess $20-30. I have the Platinum plan with zero deductible. I'm just happy they covered what they did. I did not even have to call them. I am going to put a claim in for the rental car I had for 5 days (weekend). I will let you know how that goes.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:56 PM
gaz
Almost a Member!

C
Are you seeing a lot of steam from your tailpipe?? Mayo in the oil cap?? How much fluid would you estimate you have added in total??

As mentioned, gearbox is a possible. Are you certain of no external leaks?? Have you taken down underguards to have a look from below?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E36M3 race car/Ferrari F355 GTS/1973 Mini 1275GT/Fiat Abarth/ML63/SLK55
did you pull intake plenum? or is that what you meant by IC is dry?
Old 02-07-2007, 07:37 PM

2003 c32 AMG
Originally Posted by gaz
Are you seeing a lot of steam from your tailpipe?? Mayo in the oil cap?? How much fluid would you estimate you have added in total??

As mentioned, gearbox is a possible. Are you certain of no external leaks?? Have you taken down underguards to have a look from below?
No excess steam; no mayo; have added roughly 4 gallons since Dec. 05. I have not removed anything to look from below.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:38 PM

2003 c32 AMG
Originally Posted by AWDman
did you pull intake plenum? or is that what you meant by IC is dry?
MB Service tech guy told me the "IC is bone dry." How they made this determination I do not know.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi C7.5 S6
If they pull the hose connections off the intercooler line, to the blower, and both inlet and outlet are dry, this would indicate, that the IC under the blower is dry also.

It is possible to get an airlock in the IC lines, if the IC pump does not prime properly.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 AM

2002 C32 AMG Peugeot 205 Rally car. Honda VFR Vtec
One month after I had my IC pump replaced I found I was loosing approx 10mm of coolant per day. Adding approx 1 litre per week. MB pressure tested the cooling system and could not find the leak at all. No external signs of leakage.

Cutting a long story short the Intercooler was replaced and is discussed a lot on this forum (search coolant loss).

Mine had no other symptoms, although having it back now I'm convinced it's got more power... although that could be the C180 loaner I had !!!

I haven't had much of an opportunity to see if the leakage has now stopped as immediately after it was replaced I was dispatched to a customer site with work.

Cheers

Mark
Old 02-08-2007, 10:01 PM

2003 c32 AMG
Originally Posted by blackscooby
One month after I had my IC pump replaced I found I was loosing approx 10mm of coolant per day. Adding approx 1 litre per week. MB pressure tested the cooling system and could not find the leak at all. No external signs of leakage.

Cutting a long story short the Intercooler was replaced and is discussed a lot on this forum (search coolant loss).

Mine had no other symptoms, although having it back now I'm convinced it's got more power... although that could be the C180 loaner I had !!!

I haven't had much of an opportunity to see if the leakage has now stopped as immediately after it was replaced I was dispatched to a customer site with work.

Cheers

Mark
Mark, how did you get them to replace the IC without visible signs of leakage? Was this warranty work, or out of pocket?
Old 02-09-2007, 01:25 AM

2002 C32 AMG Peugeot 205 Rally car. Honda VFR Vtec
Originally Posted by 03c32AMG
Mark, how did you get them to replace the IC without visible signs of leakage? Was this warranty work, or out of pocket?
After one hell of a battle ! Because there was "no fault" they wouldn't investigate, yet agreed that it was loosing water at a litre a week. I ended up writing to their head office here in the UK compaining of the cars history. I bought it in Sept and it had been at the garage for a number of faults a number of times.... ie IC Pump visit was 3 visits before repaired. I'd informed the garage of the issue on visit 1 (from reading on here), and I'd provided the evidence from here.

Anyway all this was documented and sent away. The garage I bought it from agreed to pay for the investigation should there be no issue which was going to be bloody unlikely due to theavy water loss.

I was told originally as there was no sign of any water loss that if they stripped it down and found no fault I'd be responsible for the rebuild cost....to which I said noooooooooooooo freeekin' way. Hence my letter !

In the end it was all warranty work except the service that cost me £420...($800).

Cheers
Mark

Last edited by blackscooby; 02-09-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:20 PM

2003 c32 AMG
Originally Posted by blackscooby
After one hell of a battle ! Because there was "no fault" they wouldn't investigate, yet agreed that it was loosing water at a litre a week. I ended up writing to their head office here in the UK compaining of the cars history. I bought it in Sept and it had been at the garage for a number of faults a number of times.... ie IC Pump visit was 3 visits before repaired. I'd informed the garage of the issue on visit 1 (from reading on here), and I'd provided the evidence from here.

Anyway all this was documented and sent away. The garage I bought it from agreed to pay for the investigation should there be no issue which was going to be bloody unlikely due to theavy water loss.

I was told originally as there was no sign of any water loss that if they stripped it down and found no fault I'd be responsible for the rebuild cost....to which I said noooooooooooooo freeekin' way. Hence my letter !

In the end it was all warranty work except the service that cost me £420...($800).

Cheers
Mark
I think I will end up just waiting for a catastrophic engine failure, like others I've read about on this forum. I have not had any decreased performance as far as I can tell, so no need to fight it. Thanks.