Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:01 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG, C230 Kompressor, Grand Cherokee 5.7 HEMI
Modified intake plenums. New here

Hi,

I havenīt posted but have been around the forums for a while. Iīm a big Mercedes fan and specially AMG. Located in San Luis Potosi, Mexico.

About 2 months ago I took my car to a shop to get the pulleys installed. I was referred to them because the owner of the shop is supposed to be a great mechanic that used to work for HKS in Australia. (Donīt know what he is actually doing here in Mexico) And he is known here for having built several big turbo SRT-4s.

When he saw my car he told me that If I would let him check for any weak points or things that could be improved. I agreed and about 2 weeks later he said that he could modidy the intake plenums to get a much better flow. (said something about the inlet being too small for the flow the engine really needed). So I said go ahead and these are the results: (sorry about the pic quality).
btw he also ported and polished the supercharger.
Attached Thumbnails Modified intake plenums. New here-pic030806_1.jpg   Modified intake plenums. New here-pic030806_5.jpg  

Last edited by mex_amg; 02-17-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 c230 v6 SS
see any gains?
Old 02-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Early on, in 2003, I modified a set of intake manifolds with better bends. Very similar to what you did. There were no gains.

Later on, with more boost, headers and better tuning they were worth about 10HP.
Old 02-17-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an AMG :(
Originally Posted by mex_amg
.....I agreed and about 2 weeks later he said that he could modidy the intake plenums to get a much better flow. (said something about the inlet being too small for the flow the engine really needed). So I said go ahead and these are the results: (sorry about the pic quality). btw he also ported and polished the supercharger.
Thanks for posting those pics! (and thanks to Vadim for commenting on what the end result is).
Mex_AMG - Are you using the stock air filters or have you switched to greens/K&Ns and how about the SL55 boxes and/or Y splitter? Also, were those top charge distributors ported also?

For you porting gurus - is there a 'standard' thickness of material that you remove when you do this type of porting and polishing or is it simply a case of porting to the point that the walls should be of a 'safe' thickness? Alternatively, do you simply gauge success by porting, then measuring flow (and repeat if necessary).
Old 02-17-2007, 04:01 PM

2003 Pewter C32
Wow, It looks awesome, I would just be concerned with heat soak, Plastic doesn't absorb heat like any metal/alum. Does it sound any diff. when accelerating?
Old 02-17-2007, 06:41 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Good job.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
looks nice!
how much did it cost?

Trending Topics

Old 02-17-2007, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by PBenz32
Wow, It looks awesome, I would just be concerned with heat soak, Plastic doesn't absorb heat like any metal/alum. Does it sound any diff. when accelerating?
Stock surge tanks do not have plastic in them. They are made completely out of cast magnesium.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by anthuny85
see any gains?
Didnīt have a chance to take it to a dyno but I did feel a better throttle response and the car does feel faster.

Originally Posted by boohooramblers
Thanks for posting those pics! (and thanks to Vadim for commenting on what the end result is).
Mex_AMG - Are you using the stock air filters or have you switched to greens/K&Ns and how about the SL55 boxes and/or Y splitter? Also, were those top charge distributors ported also?

For you porting gurus - is there a 'standard' thickness of material that you remove when you do this type of porting and polishing or is it simply a case of porting to the point that the walls should be of a 'safe' thickness? Alternatively, do you simply gauge success by porting, then measuring flow (and repeat if necessary).
I am using K&N filters with the stock air boxes, used to have the SL55 boxes but didnīt feel any difference. I am using the Y splitter. And yes the top charge distributors were also ported.

Originally Posted by PBenz32
A friend said that from the outside the supercharged whines more, Iīm not sure about that because it canīt be really heard from the inside. For some reason I feel the exhaust note changed. I already had secondary cats and silencer removed.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:19 AM
SPONSOR

why didn't you go ahead and port the heads while you had them off the car?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
why didn't you go ahead and port the heads while you had them off the car?
Heads werenīt taken off the car, and if I do I will do it when i get camshafts. If I ever get them.