C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

IC Pump TSB ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 01:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32
IC Pump TSB ?

I have just come back from the Benz dealership after they have had my car all day to replace the IC pump as it is not working. I get back there and they say they have not replaced it as it is for heating the intake air, and as it is hot here in Australia, you don't want it working ........sheesh

Anyway I explained how it is for cooling, and the variable performance, and how when the IAT rises to a certian level the supercharger shuts down as the IC is not being cooled etc ... and they just didn't seem to get it.

Is there an actual Mercedes TSB number that someone can give me to explain it to them in official mercedes terms ?

Thanks heaps
Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
They cost like $69 on ebay. I would just pay for the part myself and stop wasting your time with the dealer. Your time has to be worth more than $69.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
Originally Posted by steve_bris
I have just come back from the Benz dealership after they have had my car all day to replace the IC pump as it is not working. I get back there and they say they have not replaced it as it is for heating the intake air, and as it is hot here in Australia, you don't want it working ........sheesh

Anyway I explained how it is for cooling, and the variable performance, and how when the IAT rises to a certian level the supercharger shuts down as the IC is not being cooled etc ... and they just didn't seem to get it.

Is there an actual Mercedes TSB number that someone can give me to explain it to them in official mercedes terms ?

Thanks heaps

I can tell you that M-B refers to this as the Charge air cooler pump, and the M-B instructions for changing the pump appear under the heading AR09.41-P-6832SVK in the Star service manual.

The DTB for this particular problem "check engine light, low engine output" appears as P-B-09.41/22a, dated 4/19/06.

Regards,
Pete
Old 03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by steve_bris

Thanks heaps
It is truly pitiful that a Benz dealership would be so fundamentally wrong-headed about such a simple concept.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 AMG Maserati Coupe GT
This is because the supercharger is added parts to the base C-class. There is no error code stored in the ECU for I/C pump failure. For a MB technician, no error code means that there is nothing wrong. They are trained to follow the error code report and not the customers.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by dchao
This is because the supercharger is added parts to the base C-class. There is no error code stored in the ECU for I/C pump failure. For a MB technician, no error code means that there is nothing wrong. They are trained to follow the error code report and not the customers.
EXACTLY!! Very frustrating! I've had mine in several times and if they can't get a code, they say nothing is wrong and they never seem to be able to duplicate the problem. Yet as soon as I get in the car its right there. Take them for a drive and then, "oh, that's what you meant".... In my experience with merc techs thus far, about 90% give the 10% of good ones a bad name. From now on I go after their ASE certification if they are that clueless.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:19 PM
gaz
Almost a Member!

C
This fault does generate a code. OK, it does not specifically say I/C pump - it reads "intake air temperature (IAT) implausible reading" but that should be enough for any tech with any training at all to realise something is amiss...

The cooler and pipework is pretty obvious to work out from the parts 'fiche.