Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
story of my c32 (2002)

Got it 1/11/07 with 42k on it

so far

trip 1, replaced torque converter
trip 2, replaced computer for transmission
trip 3, replaced entire transmission + 2 motor mounts
trip 4, they broke thefoglight while in the shop and wanted $350 to fix it, i told them go **** themselves and put a bigger screw in itmyself to hold it together
(they had it for 2 weeks and it broke in THEIR SHOP)
trip 5, the spark plug spark was bridging too far and it was causing a piston to mis-fire making the entire car rattle and shake. they also convinced me to replace all brake pads + rotors where they quoted me $1600 and I got them down to 1100 for pads/rotors/sensors
trip 6, they fixed the mis-fire but in the time it was the misfiring it damaged the catalytic converter to the extent they need to replace BOTH they claim.

I thought when people say the check engine light was on, it was always the intercooler pump or something like that, so im glad that hasent gone bad.

so this is 6 trips, probably 7 when i find out what they ****ed up on this trip.

They made around 13,000 in repairs so far and I paid 1100 for brakes and a couple thosand in taxes on the damn thing. I guess the extended warranty is the only way i havent killed the guy who sold it 2 me, but do you guys think i should sell it now because its a lemon or should i hang on to it because so much **** has already been replaced?

1/11/07 to 3/26/07 , i know all the people there now, the courtesy drivers are friendly and know exactly where i work so they drop me off right there. they ask me about my weekend because we have hung out 6 times in 2 months,

absolute **** show.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML63
I had similar problems after I bought my car. I had the torque converter replaced, the tranny rebuilt, new TCU software.. Problem fixed.. I also had to replace the front bushings which is a very common problem. + motor mounts twice too. All under the extended warranty. I've owned the car for 1 1/2 years now and the past year has been pretty quite repairs wise. My warranty ran out in December and haven't had any major problems so I am keeping the car until the new C63..

I just had my brakes done at a tuner shop. 650 out the door with new rotors, pads.. The dealer price for brakes is ridiculous.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
Can I asked what was the symtom of the transmission problem? Did you notice a shifting problem or was the rough running problem all that you noticed?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 PM

2002 C32
I'd probably keep it as you've had the major things go & replaced already, I would get a membership to that site that details campaigns/recalls/service bulletins by car/model and just run down the list with your service person, I had it whilst mine was under warranty and it helped when I was trying to get them to address a problem (sorry can't remember the website).
Old 03-26-2007, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
IC pump won't throw a CE light. CE lights are for emission codes
Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Almost a Member!

I had the classic 1500-2000 jerk which was the first problem
Ive seen a LOT of reports of:
intercooler pump
air pump

going bad and my CEL seems to be from the catalytic converters

Does it make sense that it was damaged when my engine was mis-firing from when they screwed up the transmission install?

---------------

Anyone out there with ~45-50k miles know what to expect on this car? I got 3600 left before service A , how much does that usually run?$?$?
Old 03-27-2007, 01:41 AM
SPONSOR

sounds like you have a bad stealership, not a bad car...

there was nothing wrong with your car to begin with other than a programming issue with your TCU...
Old 03-27-2007, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Originally Posted by blumber
I had the classic 1500-2000 jerk which was the first problem
Ive seen a LOT of reports of:
intercooler pump
air pump

going bad and my CEL seems to be from the catalytic converters

Does it make sense that it was damaged when my engine was mis-firing from when they screwed up the transmission install?

---------------
Anyone out there with ~45-50k miles know what to expect on this car? I got 3600 left before service A , how much does that usually run?$?$?
So the dealer spent $13000 on a car with nothing wrong with it? The transmission jerk is normal for a 2002 and to me is not that bad. The rest of the problems were brought on by them trying to fix the jerk problem.

Just wanted to make sure of what was going on - I have never heard of a C32 transmission going bad, and I still have not.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by Zeppelin

Just wanted to make sure of what was going on - I have never heard of a C32 transmission going bad, and I still have not.
Where have you been? It's one of the most common problems on C32. The radiator goes, and starts to puke in the tranny, eventually destroying it. It just happened to me. It spans all years, 02-04. My car is at the dealer right now having the tranny replaced.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
This is proof that the only thing worse than an unreliable car is an incompetent technician.

The total experience includes: (i) the things that are broken, (ii) the things they "fix" that are not broken, and (iii) the things they break while trying to fix the things that really are broken. That's why I do NOT visit the dealer for every squeak and rattle.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Almost a Member!

This is all VERY common.

I dont know of a SINGLE c32 that DOESNT have the 1500-2000rpm jerk

you claim they dont need to replace the tranny? hahahahha

They took the pan off the bottom and said it was completely FILLED with metal fibers and metal shards

it was fubar and if they didnt replace it, i would fight until the someone quit their job.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Keep it! Now the major potential problems are addressed, and the car will be great. Make sure that if your car has the Valeo radiator, they pull it and replace with the upgraded one (Behr, I think). That's the number one cause of transmission going bad in the C32, and you don't want it happening to your new one too.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C32
[QUOTE=amgmark;2102388]I had similar problems after I bought my car. I had the torque converter replaced, the tranny rebuilt, new TCU software.. Problem fixed.. I also had to replace the front bushings which is a very common problem.

If I might ask, which bushings were replaced? Stabilizer bar bushings? I have that squeaking sound going over speed bumps etc from time to time and want to fix it.

Regards,
Pete
Old 03-28-2007, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
Originally Posted by jgsx
Where have you been? It's one of the most common problems on C32. The radiator goes, and starts to puke in the tranny, eventually destroying it. It just happened to me. It spans all years, 02-04. My car is at the dealer right now having the tranny replaced.
I have never heard of a C32 transmission going bad without the glycol contamination. His did not have the bad radiator.

Also, I am doubting that the trans was even bad. First he brings it in and the torque converter is replaced, then he brings it in and the TCU is replaced. Third trip he brings it in and the transmission is replaced due too metal in the pan Why did they not see this when the TC was replaced
Old 03-28-2007, 01:45 PM
Almost a Member!

they claim there were metal shards everywhere in the tranny

Do you think the dealerships make up work to do under warranty because they will get paid no matter what?

Can i goto a private guy and get work done under warranty (non benz warranty, its an extended svc warranty)

---