C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Porting, Polishing, and Cams project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 09:25 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
OK, here are two videos from tonight. Please download them to your desktop and turn up the volume!

Again, the car feels good and screams for more. I'm happy with the ways it feels and I need to get it to the track to see how she runs there.

The video with me coming towards my buddy is 1/4 mile from where I started and I ran passed him going over 110. Granted, it's no drag strip, but it gives some insight.

http://www.renntechc32.com/movies2/

My buddy said it sounded like a formula car flying by...I should have let him drive.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C-Class Sportcoupe
Originally Posted by neihouma
What gives? Installed a boost guage yet?
Boost is just a measurement of restriction to air flow. Since AMG-Jerry had his heads ported and polished, there should be less restriction and less boost. So the fact that he is making less boost than stock is not surprising to me.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 AMG sold!
Originally Posted by pshek
Boost is just a measurement of restriction to air flow. Since AMG-Jerry had his heads ported and polished, there should be less restriction and less boost. So the fact that he is making less boost than stock is not surprising to me.
When he installed the LET pulleys he was making more boost over the
Renntech pullies from his datalog, 1200 miles ago.

Now he's making less boost. I'm aware when you open up compression either
from the exhaust or intake side, you'll make less boost, thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
OK, here are two videos from tonight. Please download them to your desktop and turn up the volume!

Again, the car feels good and screams for more. I'm happy with the ways it feels and I need to get it to the track to see how she runs there.

The video with me coming towards my buddy is 1/4 mile from where I started and I ran passed him going over 110. Granted, it's no drag strip, but it gives some insight.

http://www.renntechc32.com/movies2/

My buddy said it sounded like a formula car flying by...I should have let him drive.
It sounds great.....I have to drive it one day to feel the difference....hope it took some doubts from you.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:55 PM
SPONSOR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
installed a set of evosport headers on the car...JGSX was nice enough to send me his brand new set of headers to try and see if the car would make more power with it breathing better...

got them installed last night and went for a drive...car definitely feels better, but i am still making too much boost...i am still at 1.5bar...

i am going to the track this afternoon to see what kind of time that the car will put down if the rain holds off...

i am going to get the car back on the dyno on tuesday if they can get me on then...they are going to try to work me in, as they are already booked for the week...i will post up some new numbers as soon as i have them...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Thumbs up

Thanks JGSX! Without such participation projects like these get no-where...thanks...
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by c32used
Thanks JGSX! Without such participation projects like these get no-where...thanks...
i agree! it was so generous of him to let me have them to experiment a little...
Old 09-02-2007, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by 1FASTC32
i agree! it was so generous of him to let me have them to experiment a little...
What do you think about them compared to what you been told about your custom headers that are still in the building process?
Old 09-02-2007, 03:37 PM

02 C32 AMG sold!
installed a set of evosport headers on the car...JGSX was nice enough to send me his brand new set of headers to try and see if the car would make more power with it breathing better...

got them installed last night and went for a drive...car definitely feels better, but i am still making too much boost...i am still at 1.5bar...

i am going to the track this afternoon to see what kind of time that the car will put down if the rain holds off...

i am going to get the car back on the dyno on tuesday if they can get me on then...they are going to try to work me in, as they are already booked for the week...i will post up some new numbers as soon as i have them...
That is a bold face lie, take that back!
Old 09-02-2007, 04:18 PM
SPONSOR

That is a bold face lie, take that back!
trust me, i wish it was...i am going to do some datalogging as soon as i get a chance...

i was going to do datalogging today at the track, but it is raining here, so i won't get to see how the car is running today...

i will let you know what the car is doing as soon as i get a chance...
Old 09-02-2007, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
I'm a little confused.

1FASTC32 is making too much boost at 21.5psi and AMG-Jerry is not making enough boost at 17psi. How much boost are we trying for here?
Old 09-02-2007, 04:35 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Zeppelin
I'm a little confused.

1FASTC32 is making too much boost at 21.5psi and AMG-Jerry is not making enough boost at 17psi. How much boost are we trying for here?
the main reason i keep saying that i am making too much boost is that i am maxing out the MAP sensor...

with this happening, along with my IAT's getting as high as they are right now, then the car keeps pulling too much timing to make significant power on the top end...

i am going to try to do a couple of things to remedy this in the short-term...
Old 09-02-2007, 04:48 PM

02 C32 AMG sold!
trust me, i wish it was...i am going to do some datalogging as soon as i get a chance...

i was going to do datalogging today at the track, but it is raining here, so i won't get to see how the car is running today...

i will let you know what the car is doing as soon as i get a chance...
I meant that, you can never have too much boost

On a serious matter, when you data log it, what device are
you using? Are you using CarChip like me and Jerry are using?

Also what readings are you getting? I still haven't heard
from Davis the manufacture of the CarChip why the both
of us are getting high readings, and why the unit won't
read my intake manifold pressure in my 03 EVO8, and I
know I'm running 22psi on that car (or 1.5bar).
Old 09-02-2007, 05:26 PM
SPONSOR

I meant that, you can never have too much boost

On a serious matter, when you data log it, what device are
you using? Are you using CarChip like me and Jerry are using?

Also what readings are you getting? I still haven't heard
from Davis the manufacture of the CarChip why the both
of us are getting high readings, and why the unit won't
read my intake manifold pressure in my 03 EVO8, and I
know I'm running 22psi on that car (or 1.5bar).
no, i am using dynoscan, you have to datalog with a laptop with this setup...
Old 09-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Almost a Member!

C32 T-modell
I have been watching quite closely on one CDI-engine tuning project on our local forum. As far as i understand, for CDI-engines the volume of injected fuel is decided by readings from MAP-sensor, it is not entirely up to injection mappings. Maybe it is same way for our engines. Since MAP measures pressure, not flow or volume, thats why boost really matters here and porting heads is not so good thing to do. Guys with this project also ran over their MAP with too much boost, so they build quite simple bleeding system to prevent it going into limp-mode.

Jerry´s car is running too lean, right? Maybe there is some way Jerry could make things better by doing something to his MAP so ECU will think it has more boost than it really has? By changing bigger pulley it will ofcourse get more boost and be back on the track again, but it will still run too lean because of increased volume of air. Changing heads back to stock is ofcourse best thing to do, but i would look into MAP first if there is some way to mod it.

Last edited by Jani Anttila; 09-02-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:15 PM
SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Jani Anttila
I have been watching quite closely on one CDI-engine tuning project on our local forum. As far as i understand, for CDI-engines the volume of injected fuel is decided by readings from MAP-sensor, it is not entirely up to injection mappings. Maybe it is same way for our engines. Since MAP measures pressure, not flow or volume, thats why boost really matters here and porting heads is not so good thing to do. Guys with this project also ran over their MAP with too much boost, so they build quite simple bleeding system to prevent it going into limp-mode.

Jerry´s car is running too lean, right? Maybe there is some way Jerry could make things better by doing something to his MAP so ECU will think it has more boost than it really has? By changing bigger pulley it will ofcourse get more boost and be back on the track again, but it will still run too lean because of increased volume of air. Changing heads back to stock is ofcourse best thing to do, but i would look into MAP first if there is some way to mod it.
couple of things to address your post:

1. Jerry is not running lean anymore after fixing the spark plug gap...

2. there is no way to simulate more boost in a motor for a sensor like the MAP sensor...the only way around this would be to add more fuel earlier in the map all the way up to the point where you are at max boost...

3. there are several ways to deal with the MAP sensor seeing too much boost or being maxed out...you mentioned one, which is to bleed off boost...this is not a safe way to "tune" the car accurately in a gasoline application, you can get away with it in diesel applications because the setup is completely different, namely the combustion/burn process...i could go further into an explanation here, but i think you get the point...

4. there are some ways to fix the over-boost situation in regard to the map sensor...i am going to try some of these from my experience tuning other vehicles, hopefully the cheap fix that i have in mind will work for our application...
Old 09-03-2007, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32
the main reason i keep saying that i am making too much boost is that i am maxing out the MAP sensor...

with this happening, along with my IAT's getting as high as they are right now, then the car keeps pulling too much timing to make significant power on the top end...

i am going to try to do a couple of things to remedy this in the short-term...
Let us know if you find a fix. Sounds like the LET pulley is not a good option right now if the car cannot handle the added boost.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:29 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Does anyone know if the MAP sensor from any other MB would work?

Is the MAP sensor really being maxed out, or is it just tripping a CEL because of the ECU and programming?

Vadim?
Old 09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
OK, talked to Vadim. He will try to post tomorrow.

A higher reading MAP sensor will not work due to the ecu's map.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by Jani Anttila

Can you provide more information or links to their projects?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Almost a Member!

C32 T-modell
Can you provide more information or links to their projects?
http://www.mersuforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27045

Basically they are running 200cdi with C30 AMG injectors, 320cdi turbo + lots of other extras. At the moment they are stuck at ~260hp/500Nm with torquecurve almost identical to stock. Injectors+other components in fuelsupply should be good well above 300hp, but they are still facing problems in getting enough flow through engine, some restrictions in heads/headers/cams/valvesprings etc... OEM parts are used as much as possible.

Unfortunately all information is in Finnish, but at least there is pictures & datalogging sheets which you will understand. I will try to write somekind of summary on their project in next few days.

Last edited by Jani Anttila; 09-04-2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:02 PM

MB
A higher reading MAP sensor will not work due to the ecu's map.
So if the maps were modified to match the new higher MAP sensor would that work then?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by msheredy
So if the maps were modified to match the new higher MAP sensor would that work then?

I will have to let Vadim answer this one....
Old 09-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Stock MAP sensor can only measure 22 psi - max. After that it will trigger check engine light.

Yes, a wider range sensor can be used, but the maps will have to be rescaled, which is a major tuning project.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:26 PM

SLK32
Originally Posted by Vadim@GMGRacing
Stock MAP sensor can only measure 22 psi - max. After that it will trigger check engine light.

Yes, a wider range sensor can be used, but the maps will have to be rescaled, which is a major tuning project.

Outside of not running more than 22psi of max boost and not rewritting the maps are there any other solutions?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Porting, Polishing, and Cams project