Report on H&R Sport Springs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M5
Originally Posted by jgsx
$$.
Yes, but I can't see myself spending $500 on just springs when just a little more and I can get some coilovers. Renntech springs for $500 or Tein Basic coilovers for $800? I chose Tein... I am sure everyone will say Renntech is better etc... but oh well.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by ultraman206
Yes, but I can't see myself spending $500 on just springs when just a little more and I can get some coilovers. Renntech springs for $500 or Tein Basic coilovers for $800? I chose Tein... I am sure everyone will say Renntech is better etc... but oh well.
It's possible that Tein Basics are good, but there has to be some reason why they are 1/2 the price of the next cheapest coilover.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 C32 ///AMG
I had TEIN Basics on the C230 and they sucked....
only good part was the ability to adjust the ride height.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Originally Posted by ultraman206
I'd much rather have the AMG shocks with Renntech springs than the Tein coilovers. If I were going to get coilovers, they would be the Bilsteins PSS9s, and those are more than I want to spend. I don't track the car.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 PM

M5
I am just hoping they are at least better than or equal to my 65K old OEM setup. I don't track my car either... just want something height adjustable. Well, guess I shall experience them soon enough.

rlee02135 - why do they "suck"?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
I’m pleased with the H&Rs. My travails with their as-delivered ride height have been well documented in several threads. I’ll spare you the protracted details this time ‘round.

Because my C32 has performed admirably for over 50k miles, the time has come to renew its damping prowess. There are several quality coilover packages one could consider. Bilstein’s PSS9s, KWs, and Carlssons are all worthwhile upgrades. No disrespect intended, but the Tien products are manufactured for the low and slow market.

From my perspective, there is something to be said for “stock appearing.” Not only from the tech inspector at track days, but also from the gearheads with whom I associate. If a car has coilovers, it is bumped up a class or two, and is expected to chase down the P cars. Few occasions provide more smug pleasure than being asked from the guy running behind you than, “Is that thing stock?”

To that end, I’ve sourced OEM C55 struts, shocks and springs. I’m awaiting their delivery. I’ll share the results after some track time and routine highway commutes.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by splinter
I’m pleased with the H&Rs. My travails with their as-delivered ride height have been well documented in several threads. I’ll spare you the protracted details this time ‘round.

Because my C32 has performed admirably for over 50k miles, the time has come to renew its damping prowess. There are several quality coilover packages one could consider. Bilstein’s PSS9s, KWs, and Carlssons are all worthwhile upgrades. No disrespect intended, but the Tien products are manufactured for the low and slow market.

From my perspective, there is something to be said for “stock appearing.” Not only from the tech inspector at track days, but also from the gearheads with whom I associate. If a car has coilovers, it is bumped up a class or two, and is expected to chase down the P cars. Few occasions provide more smug pleasure than being asked from the guy running behind you than, “Is that thing stock?”

To that end, I’ve sourced OEM C55 struts, shocks and springs. I’m awaiting their delivery. I’ll share the results after some track time and routine highway commutes.
I could be wrong, but isn't it the case that the C55 shocks and springs are chosen for that heavy V8 up there and might give you some funky results in our C32s?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 c32
Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I've put a couple of days on the springs, and overall I am very happy.

Appearance: It is an absolute MUST to install the rear springs with the MB #4 (tallest) rear spring shims in order to achieve a relatively even ride height drop front-to-back. With the tallest spacers, the front fender gap (tire to lip) is still a bit more than the rear, and in a perfect world, I would want it evened up. (I wish there was a #5 shim!). As I thought, the lowered car looks longer and sleeker. (Pics soon.)

Ride: The ride is noticeably firmer, but by no means harsh. Sharp bumps are soaked up gently, and longer humps and dips are handled more swiftly with a lot less float and reaction time. The ride is simply more "serious" and less luxurious. I used the stock shocks and I don't regret it.

Handling: The real test will be next week at the track, but so far, it's pretty clear that turn-in is sharper, and the car stays flatter. I feel that it is a good compromise -- any better for the track would degrade street use. I'm not expecting any change in the relentless understeer, but that's impossible to tell on the street on cold tires. We'll see what kind of speed I can hold through the uphill "S" turns at VIR!

TireRack did a comparison of H&R Sports, Eibach and OEM springs, and the H&R and Eibach were very, very similar. I have to confess that I was influenced by price (H&Rs were cheap), but I have no regrets.
Can we get pics of how this looks? Can you go with a different spacer in the front (You say the tallest spacer is on there?)?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bif powell
Can we get pics of how this looks? Can you go with a different spacer in the front (You say the tallest spacer is on there?)?

Thanks!
Sorry no pics available. But the spacer looks like a flattened, black donut.

AFAIK the fronts have NO spacer - or if they have one that cannot be replaced.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
Originally Posted by Bif powell
I could be wrong, but isn't it the case that the C55 shocks and springs are chosen for that heavy V8 up there and might give you some funky results in our C32s?
I believe the weight of the V8 is roughly the same as the s/c V6. The reported weight of the cars is approximately the same. So the struts/shocks should be equivalent.

All indications are that the C55 suspension is superior to the C32 in terms of handling (Nurburgring test).
Old 05-07-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Fifth Ring
I believe the weight of the V8 is roughly the same as the s/c V6. The reported weight of the cars is approximately the same. So the struts/shocks should be equivalent.

All indications are that the C55 suspension is superior to the C32 in terms of handling (Nurburgring test).

It is roughly the same +/- 50 lbs. KW uses the V6 application coilovers for the V8's no noticeable difference.