C32 AMG, C55 AMG (W203) 2001 - 2007

Powerchip Feedback - Expereinces - Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 C32 AMG sold!
Originally Posted by FrankW
the ECU tuning's not considered inventory. when dealer sells RENNtech tunning they have to receive the ECU and send it to RENNTech as well.
Yup but the company Jerry bought it from, prepaid Renntech to
get a discount to resell. I used to work in wholesale and when
I read Jerry's comment it made alot of sense to me, they either
wanted to move that item or their investment back.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Powerchip ECU Feedback !!!!

Originally Posted by jgsx
I have spoken with them on several occasions and so has my shop. Each time it was clear that the person answering the phone was not familiar with MB tuning. They would not let me speak to a tech. That's when I had my shop call hoping that he would have better luck. My shop experienced the same thing.

It was not a matter of cost. They simply would not offer me a solution.

They stated that these ECUs can just relearn for new mods. I said I realize that but I want the optimized for new mods. They sounded like they were reading something from a card, because they would give the exact answer the next time.

When my car was in the shop for the radiator/tranny issue, the dealer said they might reflash my ECU. In anticipation, I emailed both evosport and Powerchip asking if they would reflash my ECU. I did not get an answer from evo or powerchip.

Believe me, I want my ECU tuned for my new mods. Someone please prove me wrong.

$3000 for a custom tune, is that what you're stating or am I misunderstanding? That is a rip off. Kleeman offers a custom tune with retunes for $1000.

I'll give powerchip yet another call once I get my car back.
I had a similar experience with Powerchip. First of all, I don't think they are as knowledgable with Mercedes as RennTech and Kleemann are. Second, I think their numbers are a little too agressive/inflated in general. After my first tune (C32 Evo Stage 2), the car was not producing the correct gains at all. So first they claimed I had some kind of European setting. Then they said it was not the ECU, then they re-flashed the ECU with a different map (supposedly a more aggressive one), but it only made a difference of 7 hp. Eventually the issue was resolved, but they just didn't seem to have a handle on things.

Here is how I look at it: Powerchip actually develops tuning for many car manufacturers: they first develop a tune for a specific model, then they close that file and move on to a different manufacturer. Therefore, they have to spread their research and development efforts across many car companies, which means each car company/model gets a smaller piece of the pie. RennTech and Kleemann on the other hand, are more specialized for Mercedes. So, it makes sense that they have to spend a lot more money and time to develop their products. As a result, your specific car/model gets a LOT more research and development time before a product is produced for it...

Originally Posted by neihouma
Yup but the company Jerry bought it from, prepaid Renntech to
get a discount to resell. I used to work in wholesale and when
I read Jerry's comment it made alot of sense to me, they either
wanted to move that item or their investment back.
Not at all, the only reason Jerry got the special pricing was because he already had RennTech Stage 1 on his car. Anybody can get that same pricing TODAY if they already have RennTech Stage 1 and want additional custom tuning for their cars.

Sorry for the long post, but I really recommend you go with RennTech or Kleemann; both companies offer EXCEPTIONAL customer support.
Old 04-26-2007, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 C32
Ok just an update. Powerchip didn't call back. I called them again to see if they could help with the reflash. They do not have an inventory of mapping information for the vehicle, so they need the car in order to do any remapping. That is not an option for me since they are on the west coast.

I asked about what I wanted last time, which was removing the check engine codes for no primary cats. That should be very easy for an ECU tuner. Kleeman offers it a basic option. I spoke with the powerchip engineer and he said that they can't do that. He also said that he doesn't think that removing the primary cats would cause a CE light, and that they would need the car to investigate further.

StealthAuto offered to help me with my situation, but once it came down to actually offering a reflash, they said they can't help since I didn't purchase from them.

Also, StealthAuto has presented himself as an independent party promoting Powerchip. It turns out that they are in the same building. SteathAuto has indicated that Powerchip would do a reflash for additional mods. https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=23 They won't.

I wonder how many of these others that are stepping forward to swear by Powerchip's service are actually employees.

So once again, my opinion is back to where it was several weeks ago. Powerchip's software is fine if you don't plan on doing additional mods. If you do, powerchip isn't the vendor for you. If you are local, they are an option, but I'm not sure what the cost would be. Someone above mentioned that it was $3000 for their E55, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Their service sucks.

EDIT: like I suspected, illrukus187 is a powerchip promoting troll. Check out all of his posts, they are all about bashing other ECU tuners and promoting Powerchip.

Last edited by jgsx; 04-26-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM

03 C32AMG, 05 ML 500, Ducati 998S
I'm sorry to hear your experiences

Ok just an update. Powerchip didn't call back. I called them again to see if they could help with the reflash. They do not have an inventory of mapping information for the vehicle, so they need the car in order to do any remapping. That is not an option for me since they are on the west coast.

I asked about what I wanted last time, which was removing the check engine codes for no primary cats. That should be very easy for an ECU tuner. Kleeman offers it a basic option. I spoke with the powerchip engineer and he said that they can't do that. He also said that he doesn't think that removing the primary cats would cause a CE light, and that they would need the car to investigate further.

StealthAuto offered to help me with my situation, but once it came down to actually offering a reflash, they said they can't help since I didn't purchase from them.

Also, StealthAuto has presented himself as an independent party promoting Powerchip. It turns out that they are in the same building. SteathAuto has indicated that Powerchip would do a reflash for additional mods. https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=23 They won't.

I wonder how many of these others that are stepping forward to swear by Powerchip's service are actually employees.

So once again, my opinion is back to where it was several weeks ago. Powerchip's software is fine if you don't plan on doing additional mods. If you do, powerchip isn't the vendor for you. If you are local, they are an option, but I'm not sure what the cost would be. Someone above mentioned that it was $3000 for their E55, but I don't know if that is accurate.

Their service sucks.

EDIT: like I suspected, illrukus187 is a powerchip promoting troll. Check out all of his posts, they are all about bashing other ECU tuners and promoting Powerchip.
jgsx,

Did you first contact Evosport about this? I had to contact Evosport first to have them arrange for a reflash of the software. It was a "partnership" between Evo and Powerchip, so you have to go through Evo first if you have the Evo powerpackages instead of just the software direct from Powerchip. And I am not an employee of powerchip nor affiliated with them in any way. I am just a happy customer of Evosport's products. My experience with Powerchip is what I have descriped earlier, without a hitch at least for my application. Maybe the custom tuning part was just lip service since I was there in person, but I would never know. Because of your post, I might just have to reserve a dyno session to see if the software is really there.... it better be...
Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Lol I guess everyone forgot about the SpeedInnovation performance software upgrades? Might as well throw that in with other alternatives.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Originally Posted by auxo
jgsx,

Did you first contact Evosport about this? I had to contact Evosport first to have them arrange for a reflash of the software. It was a "partnership" between Evo and Powerchip, so you have to go through Evo first if you have the Evo powerpackages instead of just the software direct from Powerchip. And I am not an employee of powerchip nor affiliated with them in any way. I am just a happy customer of Evosport's products. My experience with Powerchip is what I have descriped earlier, without a hitch at least for my application. Maybe the custom tuning part was just lip service since I was there in person, but I would never know. Because of your post, I might just have to reserve a dyno session to see if the software is really there.... it better be...
I am in no way suggesting that the software is poor or fake. The stage2 software works great with stage2 because evosport was involved in the mapping.

I ended up not needing to reflash the stage2 software because the dealer figured out the problem before they tried flashing the ecu. I already said that I tried emailing both powerchip and evo about this.

What I have been talking about is reflashing with updated maps for new configurations, not the same s2 map. Powerchip isn't good at this. SteathAuto (who turned out to be in the same building as Powerchip, possibly a powerchip employee) hinted that they include that with their package, but they don't. They also have no ability to do it remotely. They are not Mercedes experts like Kleeman and Renntech. Also, Powerchip has been on here using several screen names to hype up their own product. According to one of their trolls, a custom tune for an E55 was $3000.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
powerchip is fine if you don't change anything on the car. They can't/won't help you if you do more mods and want a retune. Other vendors have said that pc will do a retune, but they won't.

If you get a great deal on it, do it. If you have to pay full price for it (it was $990 for stage2 software), just spend the extra $10 and get a Renntech or Kleeman tune which includes knowledgable support and unlimited retunes (make sure that your vendor is selling you a package that includes retunes).
Powerchip reflashes customers all the time. Your independant issue is not the norm and you admitted such. True?

Additionally, Evosport, Performance Products, and numerous other retailers opt to sell and work directly with Powerchip for a reason. I think that reason speaks for itself.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by mig888
Lol I guess everyone forgot about the SpeedInnovation performance software upgrades? Might as well throw that in with other alternatives.
That's if you want pirated software in your vehicle
Old 05-10-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by auxo
jgsx,

Jgsx modified his car above and beyond what most Mercedes customers find safe then attempted to directly contact Powerchip and demand a free reflash when he purchased the software directly from Evosport and had no prior contact with Powerchip. Look at it this way, a customer (Jgsx) calls in and demands a free reflash but none of his info can be found in Powerchip's computer due to the purchase being made through Evosport. Without any notes or information on a customer or his/her tune, there's really no way to reflash the vehicle because the original tune that was written cannot be located. Now, on the other hand, if Jgsx contacted EVOSPORT and asked about a reflash they could then contact Powerchip and lookup the customer (jqsx) under a purchase order number.

I hope the above info makes sense.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by StealthAuto
That's if you want pirated software in your vehicle
If it's so pirated, how did they come up with new BMW M5 software that made 22whp on a dynojet? Did SI come back to you to say hi?

Start thinking twice about who you're calling a pirate, because sometimes it looks the other way. Sheesh.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Jgsx modified his car above and beyond what most Mercedes customers find safe then attempted to directly contact Powerchip and demand a free reflash when he purchased the software directly from Evosport and had no prior contact with Powerchip. Look at it this way, a customer (Jgsx) calls in and demands a free reflash but none of his info can be found in Powerchip's computer due to the purchase being made through Evosport. Without any notes or information on a customer or his/her tune, there's really no way to reflash the vehicle because the original tune that was written cannot be located. Now, on the other hand, if Jgsx contacted EVOSPORT and asked about a reflash they could then contact Powerchip and lookup the customer (jqsx) under a purchase order number.

I hope the above info makes sense.
Cams and no cats are considered unsafe?

Absolute lies. I requested it several times. I never asked for it for free. I offered to pay. You simply were not able to provide the service. Your manipulation of the truth continues.

EDIT: No, what you're saying does not make sense. You're saying the reason you were not able to help me is because you couldn't find me in your computer? I told you exactly what map I was running.

Last edited by jgsx; 05-10-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 C32
Powerchip reflashes customers all the time. Your independant issue is not the norm and you admitted such. True?

Additionally, Evosport, Performance Products, and numerous other retailers opt to sell and work directly with Powerchip for a reason. I think that reason speaks for itself.
Right, my case is not the norm for powerchip. I think that most people get that software and just leave their cars alone. Like I stated earlier, if that is all you want to do, it is fine. If you want anything beyond that, powerchip is a very poor choice for Mercedes tuning.

The reason why the vendors deal with you is because there isn't a better option for THEM. Consumers have the option of Kleeman and Renntech.

I don't feel like my powerchip software was a total waste. It worked great when I had my stage2 mods on. Now that I put in cams, powerchip is completely useless to me.

Stop trying to manipulate the truth and just admit that your company has its limits (and they are pretty low). There is nothing wrong with that. You've already been caught trolling this forum under different screen names.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:41 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
Cams and no cats are considered unsafe?

Absolute lies. I requested it several times. I never asked for it for free. I offered to pay. You simply were not able to provide the service. Your manipulation of the truth continues.

EDIT: No, what you're saying does not make sense. You're saying the reason you were not able to help me is because you couldn't find me in your computer? I told you exactly what map I was running.
that's what I'm about to say. They wouldn't say that if Evosport market it as their stage 3 setup.

btw, doesn't Evosport sent the ECU to Powerchip to get it flashed anyway? so how can that information not stored with Powerchip, but with Evosport? I'm confused. Does this mean Evosport has their own guy who can do the tuning or maybe it was lost at SteathAuto along the way?

Last edited by FrankW; 05-10-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:48 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Humm...

I bought my Renntech kit from a dealer that sold it on Ebay. I contact Renntech directly for all of my issues and I have never once been questioned, nor I have talked to the dealer since my purchase. I have sent my ECU back 4 times now for free reflashes since my custom flash purchase. I have been very demanding and I'm sure I'm not their favorite client, but they have always been cordial to me.

So, if the dealer that sold him his software went out of business, would he be SOL?

BTW - Renntech uses the VIN number for ECU tracking, not the customer.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
So, if the dealer that sold him his software went out of business, would he be SOL?
Surely not, because that's pirate-like.

World's End - May 25th. =).
Old 05-10-2007, 06:54 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Surely not, because that's pirate-like.

World's End - May 25th. =).
dude...I gotta watch that...love Pirates and this one has chow young-fat!!!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:06 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by MB_Forever

Not at all, the only reason Jerry got the special pricing was because he already had RennTech Stage 1 on his car. Anybody can get that same pricing TODAY if they already have RennTech Stage 1 and want additional custom tuning for their cars.

Sorry for the long post, but I really recommend you go with RennTech or Kleemann; both companies offer EXCEPTIONAL customer support.
You are correct again! I think that the pricing is fair considering the amount of time I have spent on the phone with Renntech. Everyone shouldn't expect retunes for free if you purchased a power package....and Joe does not. I have talked to him numerous times before these posts and he mentioned that he would have to pay for the reflash. Now, he might have tried to get it for free by asking, but it doesn't hurt to ask, right?

The dealer that I bought my kit from is technically still in business, but he does not want to do this type of work anymore for these cars. His auction on Ebay ended with no winner, so I emailed him and he let it go really cheap. I drove the car for almost 6 months before dropping $995 for a custom flash. Again, not a bad price for the amount of time I have spent asking Jeff @ Renntech questions. I have given Renntech way less money than the "big boys" have, but I get the same support and treatment.

My advice would be to go with Kleemann. I love Renntech and all, but your shop is a Kleeman distributor and Kleeman has previous experience with cams. Not to mention that your cams might be the same as theirs.

I'm sure you won't be patient and wait for me to get my issues worked out so you can use my map....might be better, might not.

Either way, we are paving the way for new mods for a great car and our research / experience will be documented here for everyone to see.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVE
Some additional humor, seriously.

Originally Posted by FrankW
dude...I gotta watch that...love Pirates and this one has chow young-fat!!!

Here's whats going on here - so apparently they're all obtaining software from each other. Difference? One smiles a lot more, apparently.

Enjoy the movie guys, I want to hit up the premier.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:11 PM
SPONSOR

C63S

Here's whats going on here - so apparently they're all obtaining software from each other. Difference? One smiles a lot more, apparently.

Enjoy the movie guys, I want to hit up the premier.

much needed humor
Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
hahah
Old 05-10-2007, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
mustache reminds me of someone...
Old 05-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
This thread is so .
Old 05-17-2007, 12:18 AM

2007 C350 SS
Originally Posted by drexappeal
This thread is so .
Maybe but it is entertaining
Old 05-20-2007, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
powerchip has great customer service, maybe the best. their product on the other hand blows
Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM

2005 Renntech C class
+1 for Renntech

If anybody knows Mercedes...It's Renntech.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Powerchip Feedback - Expereinces - Recommendations