Old 04-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 C55 AMG
Hey thanks, this car is a dream come true
Old 04-29-2007, 01:18 PM

C32 AMG - in Pewter
Enjoy, the white gives such unique elegance !!!
Old 05-04-2007, 01:21 AM

06 C55
Bought one just like it in March - White. I may roll it out and take some pictures tomorrow. She has just over 1000 miles now.

Still can't believe I own this car.....
Old 05-04-2007, 03:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on your new AMG !!!!
Nice choice of car and color, white looks very ELEGANT....

I would wait a little before any mods so that you could get a feel for the car. Then when you do get the upgrades, you'll be able to feel the difference.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:10 AM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey I'm glad you posted about the issue with K&N's. I had them on my porsche and after having to periodically clean the MAF, I went back to stock and never had an issue thereafter.

I added the K&N's and also took the screens out in front of the TB. I discussed this with my mechanic and he noted that it might raise a "warranty" flag as MBUSA is REALLY cracking down on all issues. I have a plastic friendly contact spray that you can get from FRY's that works very well btw and made it livable however.

Anyone remove their plastic and metal screens and experience idle issues? This was the other reason I was told to put it back that it would "direct air better". It just seems grossly restrictive to me hence the removal. Thoughts?

Thanks Sean
Old 05-04-2007, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
SPR,

I removed that restrictive piece of screen mesh in front of the TB on my C43 and never had a problem. I was running K&N's at the time.

Now in my C55, I'm running green filters but havn't removed the mesh screen yet. Probably will.

The consensus is that those screens are there to protect the MAF during the factory assembly process.

Many threads and posts on MercedesShop.com and Cub202.com concluded that MAF problems only develop after the customer "cleans" his oiled air filter and over oils it in the process. Very little oil is necessary & filter must sit overnight before reinstalling.

One club202 member, SpeedyBenz (who built the club racer), replaced the mesh screen with a specialty BMW disk that had hexagonal holes in it that allegedly "staightened" the air flow. He had to machine the disk to fit though.

Last edited by Tump43; 05-04-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:31 PM
spr
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah there is both a mesh screen that fits below the "special waffle that directs airflow" and I removed both. There is also a screen on the opposite side of the airbox.

BTW if you look at the waffle deal (black plastic one they are actually triangular slits that actually do direct the airflow-

I put it back in. I also cleaned the MAF with contact cleaner that is safe for plastic. I used to do this repeatedly on my 996 with great results.

The car now has a much steadier idle. This confirms what my mechanic said why the idle would vary and would be rather ****ty while hot. I guess that waffle actually directs airflow or the ECU likes the restriction?? Dunno, but I haven't gone out and romped on it yet. I just detailed the snot out of the car and put on the new pirelli P zero's that are supposed to be the **** and also cleaned the MAF so I can't really get a good comparison.

I can't wait to drive the snot out of the new P Zero's. I chose them over going 19" with the goodyears due to cost and I figured that the P zeros are actually that better of a tire. From the drive home from the tire shop they are 1 million times better than the dog**** contisport 2's. They also "feel" more responsive than the ps2 that I had on my porsche.

I also went up to clk63 size in the rear to gain some more traction 255/35/18

Time for a run through the twisties to check them out! BTW I also have the EUR alignment and negative camber bolts front

Thanks for the info on the screens I don't know whether you really gain anything. I did it on the 996 as well. The idle is perfect again though and it really annoyed me, plus my mechanic told me MB is really cracking on warranty **** so they could pull some stuff and he said to put it back in.

Have fun! I'm about to!
Old 05-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Almost a Member!

'06 C55 AMG
Originally Posted by tech_frog
Bought one just like it in March - White. I may roll it out and take some pictures tomorrow. She has just over 1000 miles now.

Still can't believe I own this car.....

Congrats man!!! don't you think this car is amazing? I just want to be back in road and find some M3....